Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

School bans homemade lunches?

In Chicago they do.

At his public school, Little Village Academy on Chicago's West Side, students are not allowed to pack lunches from home. Unless they have a medical excuse, they must eat the food served in the cafeteria.

Principal Elsa Carmona said her intention is to protect students from their own unhealthful food choices

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/educati...0,4567867.story

Seriously? This principal needs to be fired, and made an example out of.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I always made my own lunches in school, when i went to schools with cafeterias the food was so overpriced and rarely that good (except highschool where they always had fries and onion rings all day, and we were allowed to eat in most classes!)

If they said I was not allowed to have my own lunch and i had to have the cafeteria, I would say "your paying, if not then eat a dick I'm taking my own from home"

Our ever increasing expectation that we shouldn't be held responsible for our own actions, that it's always someone else's fault and the government should pay my car note, hold my dick so I can take a piss and pick the dingleberries out of my butthole have all led to policies such as this. Where individuals of authority think they know and have the right to autocratically dictate every aspect of a person's, or peasant's as that is what we've become, life. Never has this been more evident than on November 4th, 2008. I'm all for limited rules and regulations and for the monitoring of basic rules and regulations, but the minute you dupe a large group of individuals into supporting your social movement with empty promises and regressive policies so you can steal more wealth from the hardworking citizens (now a large minority), use said funds to appease your lazy following and line your and your vile constituents' pockets with the rest, then regulations like this will continue to be the norm until we are fed up with such asinine concepts. It will be then the pendulum will swing back towards a much more prosperous excepted norm until de-regulation becomes too rampant then it will slide back to ultra regulation. Expand and contract, it's human nature. The ideal condition is an environment in the middle of moderate and ultra-deregulation. Whether or not our hasty nature will allow us to get there and stay there is the question and it's solution is the key to our continued prosperity.

hahaha, thats funny cuz the school meals are really unhealthy usually and never filling, especially for the athletes. I would fall asleep in class after lunch cuz of the high sugar and fat in HS to the point that I had to take caffeine pills after lunch. there's also the minor condition that as an athlete, I needed about 5-6000 Calories/day on average, and the school lunches were maybe 1000 Calories. I know the other athletes were in the same boat as me, cuz they were all complaining about it too.

• Founders

Couple things on this, if they are still charging money for lunches than this is a conflict of interest and is ILLEGAL. Another thing is that instead of banning homemade lunches how about you give the kids recess back and gym class! Due to budget cuts the elementary schools don't have as long recesses/gym classes anymore and as well they're in the classroom more because the principal of the school is worried about their standardized tests. This is just wrong, my favorite time of the day in elementary school was gym and recess. Let the kids wait till they're in high school to worry about standardize tests and don't give the principals/super intendants the bonus checks for kids doing well on the tests when he's making them skip important things, like being a kid!

hahaha, thats funny cuz the school meals are really unhealthy usually and never filling, especially for the athletes. I would fall asleep in class after lunch cuz of the high sugar and fat in HS to the point that I had to take caffeine pills after lunch. there's also the minor condition that as an athlete, I needed about 5-6000 Calories/day on average, and the school lunches were maybe 1000 Calories. I know the other athletes were in the same boat as me, cuz they were all complaining about it too.

I brought my lunch pretty much all my life of schooling, only years I bought was in middle school because my mom started working and I was too much of an ass at the time to make my own. Was I a fat kid in elementary school and high school because I was bringing my own lunch? Nope far from it. Did I gain weight in middle school because I ate the cafeteria lunches that were supposedly "bad" for you? Nope try again.

Through my life I've always been active in sports and just knowing when to exercise know that I'm too busy for a sports career now in my last year of college. In high school, I did lacrosse, track and band (which we were a marching/dancing band and our "band camp" was harder than football camp because of all the activities we did). I also in my spare time played basketball, football and ultimate frisbee with my friends. I literally in high school ate a ton of food because my body demanded a lot of calories to keep doing what I did.

Instead of worry about stupid standardized tests and useless information that never gets used in real life, educate kids on how to be responsible like my parents did and you'll never have to worry about what they eat because they'll make the right choices. I'd suggest demanding a sport or some sort of activity in schools before banning homemade lunches, sounds like people are money hungry and not thinking of the kids

Couple things on this, if they are still charging money for lunches than this is a conflict of interest and is ILLEGAL. Another thing is that instead of banning homemade lunches how about you give the kids recess back and gym class! Due to budget cuts the elementary schools don't have as long recesses/gym classes anymore and as well they're in the classroom more because the principal of the school is worried about their standardized tests. Let the kids wait till they're in high school to worry about standardize tests and don't give the principals/super intendants the bonus checks for kids doing well on the tests when he's making them skip important things, like being a kid!

Instead of worry about stupid standardized tests and useless information that never gets used in real life, educate kids on how to be responsible like my parents did and you'll never have to worry about what they eat because they'll make the right choices. I'd suggest demanding a sport or some sort of activity in schools before banning homemade lunches, sounds like people are money hungry and not thinking of the kids.

I agree. It's pure selfishness. Sure, they say they're trying to help the kids eat healthier food, but ultimately they're just WASTING the food the kids don't eat (shudder) and putting more money in the pockets of the school and the caterer. The kids are going hungry since they don't like the food, and if they go hungry they won't be able to concentrate on school. (And thus, they'll door poorly on the standardized testing. Well isn't that a vicious cycle.) This article also states that at some schools "officials allow packed lunches but confiscate any snacks loaded with sugar or salt" which I think is completely insane. Apparently they return the snacks after school is let out for the day, but who says that the children won't eat the snacks right away at that point? How is this fair or legal?

Education is our greatest asset as human beings. That is the biggest problem in this argument. Not only is this policy affecting the education of the kids in the schools, but their parents' education should be a priority. Why not enact healthier foods in the cafeteria and educate the parents about healthier food choices for their kids? Their kids should be their priority and putting healthful things in their body should be a primary concern.

Maybe that's just the opinion of the educated organic-eating hippie, though.

In high school, I did lacrosse, track and band (which we were a marching/dancing band and our "band camp" was harder than football camp because of all the activities we did).

Alight, buddy. Define harder for me. I do remember my cousin quitting football halfway through 3-a-days in high school then starring in our marching band, and they did do stuff too, it was an area of pride in my high school, the awesome football team with a class act band. I must respectfully disagree with your statement, not because I consider band as second class, but just due to the nature of their respective performance criteria.

Swimming handsdown the most physically demanding sport.

Nope, skipping class is.

Swimming handsdown the most physically demanding sport.

Amateur Wrestling by far the toughest

being on fire and masterbating is the most extreme.

/thread.

That's a hobby, dude

• Founders

Alight, buddy. Define harder for me. I do remember my cousin quitting football halfway through 3-a-days in high school then starring in our marching band, and they did do stuff too, it was an area of pride in my high school, the awesome football team with a class act band. I must respectfully disagree with your statement, not because I consider band as second class, but just due to the nature of their respective performance criteria.

Run 8-10 miles a day with a 20lb instrument (tenor sax), run stadium steps multiple times a day w/ an instrument, march probably around 5-8miles a day plus I have no idea how to explain the aerobics we did to strengthen our lounges and muscles. Then learn a dance routine which we play while dancing and its not some little kick your feet, look up FAMU on youtube and we did dance routines like that ;)

Everything we did was with our instruments, I did lacrosse and I'd take wearing pads then holding an instrument when working out. I'm probably leaving some stuff out because literally I loved those 2 weeks because I could eat anything I want and still lose weight :bacon:

We've had multiple football guys say "Oh band camp, couldn't be harder" and they ran with us and did everything and they weren't there by day 3 :lol:

I'm not saying band is a tougher than football but we did train probably harder, minus the hitting. Lacrosse and track was a cake walk after band camp... Plus band uniform on a hot August, September and October South Florida nights for football games, parades, etc... again is worse than wearing pads at that time, on top of which you have to play an instrument, march and dance. lol

:bacon:

But to the issue at hand:

Parents need to stand up and tell this school's principal that she WILL NOT dictate what they can or cannot feed their own children. Because if they do stand and not do anything about it, it WILL get worse. These people in authority that have the mindset of needing to redirect everyone's own actions for their own good, needs to stop. An infamous quote comes to mind about these new arising situations:

"The path to Hell was paved with good intentions,"

If I were one of the parents in this district, and I've been packing the kid healthy lunches, then get this message, I'd continue to pack my kid's lunches. No school will dictate to me how to raise my own kid.

This crap gets brought about because parents are not parents for a larger portion of the population and the few that do parent properly are given rules that do not allow them to be a parent.

• Founders
' date='Apr 12 2011, 07:34 PM' post='52518']

But to the issue at hand:

Parents need to stand up and tell this school's principal that she WILL NOT dictate what they can or cannot feed their own children. Because if they do stand and not do anything about it, it WILL get worse. These people in authority that have the mindset of needing to redirect everyone's own actions for their own good, needs to stop. An infamous quote comes to mind about these new arising situations:

"The path to Hell was paved with good intentions,"

If I were one of the parents in this district, and I've been packing the kid healthy lunches, then get this message, I'd continue to pack my kid's lunches. No school will dictate to me how to raise my own kid.

:bacon:

Seriously if this was my parents they would have laughed and continued to pack my lunch :lol:

Run 8-10 miles a day with a 20lb instrument (tenor sax), run stadium steps multiple times a day w/ an instrument, march probably around 5-8miles a day plus I have no idea how to explain the aerobics we did to strengthen our lounges and muscles. Then learn a dance routine which we play while dancing and its not some little kick your feet, look up FAMU on youtube and we did dance routines like that ;)

Everything we did was with our instruments, I did lacrosse and I'd take wearing pads then holding an instrument when working out. I'm probably leaving some stuff out because literally I loved those 2 weeks because I could eat anything I want and still lose weight :bacon:

We've had multiple football guys say "Oh band camp, couldn't be harder" and they ran with us and did everything and they weren't there by day 3 :lol:

I'm not saying band is a tougher than football but we did train probably harder, minus the hitting. Lacrosse and track was a cake walk after band camp... Plus band uniform on a hot August, September and October South Florida nights for football games, parades, etc... again is worse than wearing pads at that time, on top of which you have to play an instrument, march and dance. lol

That's not quite as intense as my football camps, but I've truly never heard of that before in my life and would have to see it. Need some proof of purchase with barcode.

Everything we did was with our instruments, I did lacrosse and I'd take wearing pads then holding an instrument when working out. I'm probably leaving some stuff out because literally I loved those 2 weeks because I could eat anything I want and still lose weight ;)

2ef2db56.jpg

Yeah, Chaos!

• Founders

That's not quite as intense as my football camps, but I've truly never heard of that before in my life and would have to see it. Need some proof of purchase with barcode.

Until you do it, you'll say that's not bad but once you do you'll be like holy freak! I've always been in great shape all my life and parades that we dance in will kick the shit out of you, literally and the 2 weeks of band camp and practices afterwards keeps you up to it.

I have videos somewhere of some of it but I think my sister stole it last time she was home to convert to DVDs cause it was on VHS lol, I'll post it once she gets them up. As of now they have a new band director and I haven't checked if they keep up with it.

I've played basketball, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, ultimate frisbee and I do qualify my hs band experience as a sport because it was so demanding physically and mentally as well.

Until you do it, you'll say that's not bad but once you do you'll be like holy freak! I've always been in great shape all my life and parades that we dance in will kick the shit out of you, literally and the 2 weeks of band camp and practices afterwards keeps you up to it.

I have videos somewhere of some of it but I think my sister stole it last time she was home to convert to DVDs cause it was on VHS lol, I'll post it once she gets them up. As of now they have a new band director and I haven't checked if they keep up with it.

I've played basketball, baseball, lacrosse, soccer, ultimate frisbee and I do qualify my hs band experience as a sport because it was so demanding physically and mentally as well.

I never said anything about the qualifications for a sport, but I will tell you this, I would do it, and do it with a smile, I like training, pushing myself give me a hard on. It's my drug.

Amateur Wrestling by far the toughest

Swim about 2500-3000 yards in a pool without stopping (between sets is an exception) and come back to me.

This includes flip-turns and some sets will be kicking only or strokes only.

Typical day at practice for me

Swim about 2500-3000 yards in a pool without stopping (between sets is an exception) and come back to me.

This includes flip-turns and some sets will be kicking only or strokes only.

Typical day at practice for me

I have, didn't hurt me much, swam competitively through high school, ind medley, freestyle, butterfly, the heardest thing I've done was try to move another athlete against his will for 6 minutes, nothing but a sprint for six minutes, pure intensity. The argument cannot be broken, too sound. I know all sports have their respective difficulties that are challenging to overcome, there also those sports which require the greatest level of physical fitness, wrestling being on top of said category. I've participated in a lot of sports, wrestling to boxing to submission grappling to tennis, track, soccer, swimming, baseball. By far, the toughest most demanding sport is the orgiinal martial art, wrestling. Football is by far my favorite sport, the sport that put me through school, free of charge. But, I respect wrestling the most, realize and understand it is truly the most demanding sport there is.