Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1992 Grand Prix Progression

Today I was hoping to wash the GP before a car club meet, so that I could also test-fit the wheels while the car was free from grime.

Mother nature had other plans...

P1130340.jpg

In other news, I see this thread has been given 5 stars. Thanks guys! :lol:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and too much of it.

Thanks Mark! I can't wait to see how it looks with the wheels mounted and sitting flush under the fenders. :lol:

I washed the car this afternoon.

And then it started to snow again.

But I at least was able to test-fit one of the crosslaces to see what I'd have to do to get them to work once the car's on coilovers. Overall it's pretty much what I was expecting.

Here's one of the stock wheels on the car, for comparison.

P1130358.jpg

And now, one of the crosslaces.

P1130359.jpg

Obviously I can't just throw these on once the car is lowered and be done with it, but I never expected to be able to.

P1130366.jpg

P1130362.jpg

Remember that the fitment will definitely change when you get lower due to control arm swing. And if I'm looking at the pics right there's no weight on the wheel and the control arm is at the fully unloaded position.

The only other non B4U pre-97 w-body I've seen these wheels on was a 91 Cutlass Supreme sedan with a TGP/282 transplant. The fronts could have used a fender pull or a degree of negative camber but the rears were spot on.

CSnew.jpg

CSnew1.jpg

Have you decided on a tire size? (sorry if I missed it)

You're right, there was no load on the suspension. I was trying to find a 2x4 or something to put on the jack so that I could jack up the wheel and get it closer to ride height, but there was nothing. :willy_nilly:

I hadn't mentioned tire size yet. Seeing as how 225s were one of the two OEM sizes, I'm planning on 215s. The front fenders will have a portion of the lip rolled, between the fender lining mounting tabs. And, with the camber/caster plates I can add in a bit of camber as needed.

Coilovers will be installed first though, to get the ride height set.

This should be fun. :rofl:

Nice. Good call on not going mega meaty width on the tires. I think a skinnier tire will help with the fitment.

I think the 16x8s were 245/50-16 stock?

225 or 215/55-16s would be the same diameter and would look decent.

I'd have to check to see what years or models had what, but I've been told that both 245s and 225s were OEM for these cars, depending on year, model, or something.

Now, this is where needing a bit of stretch and being...frugal work together. The tires will be my existing 215 summers, as by coincidence they're the OEM size for my stock wheels and the size I need for these. :lol2:

Some quick searching has shown that it seems to be based on year. '93 and before had 245s, 94 and later 225s.

It's always good to get a little positive reinforcement here and there :) I try to give lots of love because not enough people (or cars) get it these days!

(And of course, I'm honest too. I wouldn't lie about what I think of a car, but luckily yours is awesome so no worries there! :))

UPDATE: Bye Bye Reflectors

And now for what will probably be the most controversial change to the car yet. -_-

Yesterday after school I dropped by a friend's house to pick up some white vinyl. With the weather remaining decent for longer periods of time (And the car staying clean) I could go ahead and make a minor change to the exterior. Taking inspiration from Euros, I colour-matched my side reflectors. Being vinyl though, it's reversible and I didn't have to pick up a second set of reflectors.

P1130408.jpg

Before:

P1130403.jpg

After:

P1130404.jpg

Look ma, no side reflectors!

P1130405e.jpg

It also has a set of OEM thick-border corner lights in now, I found them in my garage and swapped them in for the heck of it. I may continue the thick borders onto the rest of the lights with some black vinyl later on, I haven't decided yet.

(Headlights with thick black borders were stock on older GP coupes, and they look pretty good.)

Hm, I'm undecided. I like how it looks at a distance but I'm not sure about up close. I really do like the look of stock side markers on almost any well-designed vehicle and of course this one is no exception. It's really sharp when you're looking at the whole car though. Of course, your vinyl cutting skills are stellar so good job on the handiwork! -_-

Thanks you two!

Up close you can tell that they're vinyl, but unless you get close it's not that obvious. Cutting them wasn't that hard, fortunately all of the reflectors are the same shape, so after I made a template I just cut the vinyl to size, put it on, and only had to do minor trimming on a few edges with a hobby knife.

...having a good friend that runs a vinyl company is just too much fun. -_-

• Founders

The vinyl seems liked a different shade of white to me and that's the only thing I don't like about it. Could just be it's new vinyl though...

The car itself it actually a little dirty too, so the clean vinyl is brighter than the slighty dirty white paint. :(

My friend was nice enough to give it to me for free though, so I won't complain. I'm thinking of making some ABS plugs to go on top of the reflectors though, which could then be painted and would sit flush with the bumpers. That'd be in the future though if I really like these and decide to keep them.

I'd find a way to actually make those corners the reflectors, like how my headlights are.

As it is they're just turn signals, though I want to change the bulbs for LEDs to make them really bright.

• Founders

Were you at the meet or was your car just in the parking lot? lol

Either way it's nice to get mentioned in something like that :)

:) at the comment on the blog.

I was at the meet. :)

It looks like the GP's all alone in the lot but that picture was taken later in the night after some had started to leave. I stayed pretty late, I was one of the last to leave.