Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Catalina 1969 with 428 Engine - Temperature Range

What is the correct range of temperature for a Catalina with 428 engine? I´m a little bit concearned about it and I didnt find this information. Thanks in advance

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

My car is runnig up to 210 F when in trasit. Sometimes increases. On the road, up to 60 mph about 170-180 F. I have a brand new radiator, a new water pump (Like original 11 bolts and cast impeler), a thermostat for 180 F (but not for high volume), original pulley, shroud in place, fresh new coolant, 16 lbs radiator cap. I tested the temperature indicator and its ok.

I have a Holley 0-80555C 650CFM Spread Bore Electric Choke Vacuum Secondaries

I don´t know where to look first. I´ll appreciate any help

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fabio Parede said:

My car is runnig up to 210 F when in trasit. Sometimes increases. On the road, up to 60 mph about 170-180 F. I have a brand new radiator, a new water pump (Like original 11 bolts and cast impeler), a thermostat for 180 F (but not for high volume), original pulley, shroud in place, fresh new coolant, 16 lbs radiator cap. I tested the temperature indicator and its ok.

I have a Holley 0-80555C 650CFM Spread Bore Electric Choke Vacuum Secondaries

I don´t know where to look first. I´ll appreciate any help

A couple thoughts. First it may be the fan. You should run a 7 blade fan on a clutch thermostat housing that mounts to the water pump hub. By your description it sounds that the system cools properly when moving enough air through the radiator. The fan I described will make a huge improvement at low speeds & help to pull down temperature when temperatures rise above the set point of the thermostat clutch housing. Also how many rows is the radiator? A larger radiator, like a 4 row may help as well, but I would start with the fan & clutch housing.

• Like 2

To help improve coolant flow, I run a Wide Mouth thermostat from Mr. Gasket in my 455. As Last Indian and Justa stated above, I also run the thermostatic controlled clutch fan and the stock factory fan shroud. It handles freeway, and parade duty very well. I also have a stock 4-core radiator.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Last Indian said:

A couple thoughts. First it may be the fan. You should run a 7 blade fan on a clutch thermostat housing that mounts to the water pump hub. By your description it sounds that the system cools properly when moving enough air through the radiator. The fan I described will make a huge improvement at low speeds & help to pull down temperature when temperatures rise above the set point of the thermostat clutch housing. Also how many rows is the radiator? A larger radiator, like a 4 row may help as well, but I would start with the fan & clutch housing.

Thanks Man. My Fan is a 7 blade, 18 inch total size.

Yes, shroud in place. Radiador original rebuild.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Fabio 

show us some  pictures of your fan to shroud set up . 
And have you had the thermostat out and tested it ? 

I have anothers doubts:

My Shroud appears to be original. My fan appears to be from Mopar (Dodge Dart) 7 blades and 18 inches.

My water pump pulley has 8" and the main pulley (from crankshaft) is about 6 1/2". Is That correct? Because with this configuration the water pump will rotate less than the motor. I´m correct?

I have a A/C Non Original installed but not working. Only the hoses conected, no gas, no compressor belt, no electrical power to the vent inside the car. Those hoses get very hot when the engine works. Can I eliminate that hoses? I have no intention to put A/C to work (I think I will increase even more temperature)

I did not tested the Thermostat, its a "normal" 180 F (not high flow)

Any suggestions?

Thank you guys

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

Edited by Fabio Parede
  • Like 2

is it justA me , or does that fan look little in that shroud ? 

Fabio, how much room is there from the end of the blades to the shroud ? that will cvertainly be loosing flow through the radiator at low speed.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Fabio, the pulley should be the stock 6” not 8” that slower speed could easily cause a lack of cooling at lower speeds. The shroud & fan blades are wrong, as Kiwi indicated. There needs to be only about a 1/4 “ to 1/2 “ gap between the blade tips & the shroud edge. Also, the Mopar fan might work in Dodges setup, but it’s no good for yours. You need a straight blade fan to one with bent tips. See attached photo.  
I don’t think you have blockage because it cools at higher speeds when you are move air through the radiator. I think, the fan issue, the shroud to fan issue & the  pulley size, are all combining to cause the problem.

No it’s not you! 

E910DA38-948C-4120-9278-ECBC4B8D9221.jpeg

Hey Man, thanks again. For now, I will change the Fan and the water pump pulley. 

Is my Shroud the correct one?

One again, thank you so much

Edited by Fabio Parede
  • Like 2

Fabio, what is the diameter of the shroud hole where the fan sits? And what is the distance from the water pump hub face to the beginning edge of that hole?

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

is it justA me , or does that fan look little in that shroud ? 

Fabio, how much room is there from the end of the blades to the shroud ? that will cvertainly be loosing flow through the radiator at low speed.

Almost 2". Actually I use a 18" blade and I think 20" will not fit.

1 minute ago, Last Indian said:

Fabio, what is the diameter of the shroud hole where the fan sits. 

Almost 20. But I think a 20" blade will not fit. A put a kind of paper At mine blade increasing 1" and 2". For more 1 (19" total) is ok. For 2" no.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fabio Parede said:

Almost 2". Actually I use a 18" blade and I think 20" will not fit.

Almost 20. But I think a 20" blade will not fit. A put a kind of paper At mine blade increasing 1" and 2". For more 1 (19" total) is ok. For 2" no.

Ok, one step at a time. First change the pulley to the 6” & see what change that makes. If it is enough you could stop there, although if it were mine I would put the GM 18” fan blade with the clutch in as that type design does a better job of pulling air when needed, but decouples when not needed.
If that change doesn’t prove to be enough than we can talk about what you might do next.

• Like 2