Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Nylon timing gear years of production.

Greetings. I have a 389 YE cast # 9778789 dated coded E246 so this tells me 1966. What years did Pontiac use the nylon chain gear? Any chance there may be one in there from factory, getting mixed info from searches some say 64 was last year for these. 

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Thanks for that info. Yeah can be a mess if it’s deteriorating that’s for sure. Just got the car so I am trying to determine what I have to deal with. I read some info that the 389 used this type until end of 66 others state end of 64. 
still un sure. Is there a way to see what’s in there by taking the fuel pump off and having a close look maybe using a bore scope through the opening for the pump arm?

• Like 2

I don't wish to contradict my good friend Two Lane. He's been there and done that way more than I when it comes to engine tear down and rebuilds. I trust his judgement when it comes to these things.

That said the best information that I have says that Pontiac stopped using nylon timing sets after '71. That does not mean that there were not over the counter replacement nylon sets floating out there for a long time as NOS or replacement parts well after '71.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok that’s something to consider thanks. It’s probably best I plan for a pump and timing cover removal, a new set of gears is pretty cheap and a gasket kit as well. I am going to remove the fuel pump and have a look up there with a bore scope first and will post on what I see if anything cheers. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 5:55 PM, BONNZO said:

Greetings. I have a 389 YE cast # 9778789 dated coded E246 so this tells me 1966. What years did Pontiac use the nylon chain gear? Any chance there may be one in there from factory, getting mixed info from searches some say 64 was last year for these. 

What do you have the engine in?  We like pic's.

• Haha 1

Here in Australia, Holden followed GM's lead and also used nylon timing gears in it's 6 cylinder engines. They were notorious for failing at any time, as I found out one day about 200 miles from home - a tooth would break off and engine would stop. But then, they also thought that a nylon distributor drive gear would be a good idea. Honestly, what were they thinking? Steel replacements for both were sold for decades. The guys are right - tear it down and replace the timing gear no matter what. Cheap insurance.

• Like 2

Ha ok glad u like, couple more pics in my intro post as well cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1