Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Epic parts fail..Show us whatch got

Go to solution Solved by JUSTA6,

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I know Frosty will display his stripped steering wheel nut.     Great stories will work justas well, if ya didn't get pic's people.  

Not really an epic parts failure, more like a momentary lapse of brain function! This is what happens when you forget to completely tighten down the distributor.

0421FDEA-F289-412A-864F-4AA19BE36AFA.jpeg

89266B7B-E3DA-4714-94D5-C47390097376.jpeg
You wipe out 4 pistons, I.E. break every piston ring in at least 3 places!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

I know there are more of these we can all smile at now.  Maybe NOT when it happened, but funny now! :rofl: Show us whatcha got!

I could tell more, but fortunately for me I try not to photographically record my stupidity! 😁

• Haha 2

Ah the old square peg round hole trick !!! :rofl:

mate your not alone in the miss happs department 

i haven’t done anything worthy of this thread 

but my f- wit younger bother has ! 

Back in the day we both had fe holdens 

his was a runner,  while I was still building mine ... this super cleaver guy took off one day from our family farm 

and 30 minutes latter  turned up back at home on foot ... white as a sheet ... 

he had lost a front wheel that he had just fitted ... it took off down a big hill in front of him and the fe came to a messy Holt ! 

I will never forget him banging on about how it must have been faulty wheel nuts .... he is a mechanic 🙄

he did it again a few year later when he did a skid in his mk 3 cortina ... this time it wasn’t a wheel ! It was a drive shaft he had made out of exhaust tube !!! 

It twisted  itself in half and came up through the floor behind the drivers seat and chopped up the floor ... he was very lucky that day !!? 🙄

family !!! Durrrr 🙄🙄🙄

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I can only wonder at the horror he must have felt upon the realisation of his mistake. In his defence, it's easy to do - lots of stuff going on under a car. More importantly, we are gonna give him so much shit! Aren't we???

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fitzy said:

I can only wonder at the horror he must have felt upon the realisation of his mistake. In his defence, it's easy to do - lots of stuff going on under a car. More importantly, we are gonna give him so much shit! Aren't we???

Actually for a change, I wasn't gonna mess with this one.  Knowing the placement of your jack is crucial. One slip N your a Justa nother wet spot on the floor for somebody to stick a finger in and say.....Trans fluid or Frosty?  :stars:I feel bad for the costly damage to the car,  but would have been much worse if he had gotten hurt.  Glad your here to make us smile about some other silly thing your gonna do.  That said,  there is a body tool you could rent that welds the stick to metal.  Then uses a slide hammer to pull out dents.  Grind off the tabs when you are done N hit er with a LIL paint.   FAAAR less work than raising the engine as LastIndian stated.  Tons less work than pulling the engine as Frosty said.  If you have to, raise it til you can pull the pan bolts.  Drop the pan til you are able to access the bolts that hold the oil pickup tube on.  Thats all that would be in the way to pull the pan.  Gotta ask.... You have jack stands right??😟

Is this the Toyota Yaris Repair Forum? Oh, good.

So, to add to the Epic Parts Fail, today I broke a wheel stud - first time for everything. My new (17 years old) buzzbox must have spent some time by the beach coz when the car turned up I noticed some rusty wheel nuts. Just in case I ever got a flat tyre, I thought I'd remove all the wheels and do some preventative maintenance on the studs & lug nuts to ensure a speedy roadside repair, if the event were ever to arise. EVERY wheel had to be hammered and then prised off with a wrecking bar! EVERY nut was rusted on and in addition where the wheel's centre sits on the hub, that was rusted too! I cleaned, wire brushed, derusted & lubed every item. It's the Pontiac all over again! I have ordered a new stud & nut and am looking forward to hammering the shit out of the old broken stud and replacing it tomorrow. I had a look on YT and some dude used a device called an air hammer. An air hammer! Never heard of it. I'm getting one. It pushed his old stud out like nothing. 

Pontiac is running fine, so I am now forced to give you guys Yaris fails! Forgive me.

20220630_140731.jpg

20220630_140720.jpg

Edited by Fitzy
Forgot something
  • Sad 1

Does the Yaris even have a working heater? :rofl:

Especially after Fitzy finishes taking a spanner wrench to it!

Edited by Frosty

Looks like a GM donut spare.  😁

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Does the Yaris even have a working heater? :rofl:

Especially after Fitzy finishes taking a spanner wrench to it!

We are waiting for visual verification of a dented oil pan.  Even saved ya a post here.

Warm and wet here - global warming doing it's thing. Yes, Gary (the Yari) has a functioning heater AND the aircon works! I'd forgotten just how much fun it is to throw around a modern small car - on the windy mountain road that we need to negotiate to get down to Cairns, it's a hoot. Weighs less than a ton, so almost no weight transfer as you go from apex to apex and with a zippy, fizzy little twin cam, it's just fun.

Are you guys still gonna talk to me? I still have the GP you know. Look at it this way - the GP is sorted and it's repair journey is over for now, so the newest car is just another set of problems for you to laugh at.

• Haha 2

Nice mate!  :cheers:
a man can never have enough tools 👍👍👍

I bought my press to do bushes on my 2nd 56 Chev years ago 

and have used it many times since 👍

I wasn’t working on the 64 this weekend 

I did get to take the mk1 for it’s certification recheck Saturday morning and I have posted pics on the this will make u smile thread 

I spent most of the weekend working again !!! 
but did get some work done on the alterations and managed to take a chunk out of my arm 

EE5B5795-EDD5-4188-89FB-7BD057BB705C.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Wow - nice work. When we're not breaking things or swearing at some recalcitrant part that won't fit or come off, we're severing limbs and/or fingers. Beer will fix that.

• Haha 1

Here is what jacking up the car by the oil pan and NOT the crossmember will do....oops!

This is the carnage JUSTA wanted to see....where it is in all it's glory!!!

IMG_7152.thumb.JPG.c1874e1b0f10b49504fe69dca58c8b54.JPG1407312729_IMG_7151(2).thumb.JPG.e231eba7c2a54c3f0b52c7bb8ee0605a.JPG

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Here is what jacking up the car by the oil pan and NOT the crossmember will do....oops!

This is the carnage JUSTA wanted to see....where it is in all it's glory!!!

IMG_7152.thumb.JPG.c1874e1b0f10b49504fe69dca58c8b54.JPG1407312729_IMG_7151(2).thumb.JPG.e231eba7c2a54c3f0b52c7bb8ee0605a.JPG

Welcome to the club/thread.......