Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

markpetersonii's GTO - SOLD.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you just purchase your car and already car trouble????????? that sux

Well, it's still running on the original coolant I'm pretty sure so replacement is necessary anyway...

Guys on LS1GTO think its a heater hose, I'm about to go check!

:stacy: lol

No, 77K miles on a stock engine = soon to have problems.

I knew what I was getting into, just need help figuring it out for sure.

Just FYI, I didnt read the whole LS1 thread, but the mud on the dipstick is dex-mud, it happens to all Dex-cool.

Make sure that you get that shit out. Pronto.

Yeah, DexCool gets funky after 50K, so do a flush. Chances are, the water pump might be gummed up, causing excessive pressure on the gasket, ending up in a big leak. If the water pump is anything like it's 5.3L V8 sibling, it's not so bad. Space just might be an issue in removal.

All sounds good guys thanks! Well, I don't have the money right now to replace the whole thing so I am going to just do the gasket and pray that, that's it.

The previous owner said the Dex-cool was flushed at 50K and the water pump never had problems when he had it. SO, I hope just a gasket...

All sounds good guys thanks! Well, I don't have the money right now to replace the whole thing so I am going to just do the gasket and pray that, that's it.

The previous owner said the Dex-cool was flushed at 50K and the water pump never had problems when he had it. SO, I hope just a gasket...

That mud is a substantial concern though. Google Dex-cool mud or Dex-mud or Dex-cool problems

Might have to find a shop to flush out the system properly.

Chain places, like Goodyear and Firestone have flush machines that work pretty well. Cost is usually $50-$70 depending on the place you go.

Change the gasket, and have a flush done before ditching the pump just yet.

' date='Jul 4 2010, 01:20 PM' post='31705']

Might have to find a shop to flush out the system properly.

Chain places, like Goodyear and Firestone have flush machines that work pretty well. Cost is usually $50-$70 depending on the place you go.

Change the gasket, and have a flush done before ditching the pump just yet.

That's what I'm going to have to do. Thanks!

Of course.

But I'd look into finding some local help for doing a coolant flush. It's not that hard, I've done it myself. Your arms will just smell like DexCool for a few days. :lol2:

All the flush machines do, they're hooked up to the upper and lower hose inlets. Some machines actually work with the motor off, but the best results are with the engine on, so the pump itself will be cleaned a bit more thoroughly. And of course, because of the pressure, it'll evacuate the old coolant a bit better.

But I've done it, where you can buy a flush chemical (Prestone makes a nice one) and use a hose. Basically, you hook up the hose to the upper (or lower) and leave the opposing hose off, so the gunk comes out, just make sure it goes into a big container and not make a mess, big fine for coolant seeping into rainwater.

Too bad I'm +2500 miles away, I'd lend a hand. And get a perfect excuse to drive an LS2 Goat to boot.

• Founders
' date='Jul 4 2010, 04:41 PM' post='31708']

Too bad I'm +2500 miles away, I'd lend a hand. And get a perfect excuse to drive an LS2 Goat to boot.

:lol2:

Would help as well, especially get out of this horrible weather here :D