Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

markpetersonii's GTO - SOLD.

Cool thanks guys! I just talked to my buddy (old neighbor) and he's got all the mechanical "know-how" so we are going to do it in about an hour. Quick question, Dex-cool, is it premixed or do you have to do a 50-50?

Hey, I just found out that the "mud" on the stick is actually supposed to be there. Apparently GM put stop leak in all the GTOs radiators from the factory and that it is there on all the car regardless of miles. PHEW!

Ok, so drain, replace gasket, flush, refill, drive, check for leaks?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GTO is fixed! :lol2:

Found out the problem, Chaos is right! It was the water pump gaskets. Here is the differences, Orange is old and Blue is new.

IMG_0007_2.jpg

IMG_0005_3.jpg

I'm also glad that it was relatively easy to get at the water pump!

Usual DexCool gasket symptoms.

DexCool will eat at gaskets if it's not flushed every 45-50K or so.

Great to see it's fixed. Mark, you can use 50/50 DexCool mix, but if you buy straight 100%, dillute it with water. You never wanna run straight antifreeze in the system, specially DexCool.

' date='Jul 4 2010, 11:10 PM' post='31724']

Usual DexCool gasket symptoms.

DexCool will eat at gaskets if it's not flushed every 45-50K or so.

Great to see it's fixed. Mark, you can use 50/50 DexCool mix, but if you buy straight 100%, dillute it with water. You never wanna run straight antifreeze in the system, specially DexCool.

im getting my shit flushed like next month. i already had new gaskets in mine so its time for dex-fool to go

It's a good idea to stick with DexCool because of the aluminum parts, like the water pump. I've seen too many people switch to shit green and have water pumps rust out, and rust gum up the system.

DexCool is fine, just keep on those 45K flushes, and you'll never have an issue.

' date='Jul 5 2010, 11:59 AM' post='31766']

It's a good idea to stick with DexCool because of the aluminum parts, like the water pump. I've seen too many people switch to shit green and have water pumps rust out, and rust gum up the system.

DexCool is fine, just keep on those 45K flushes, and you'll never have an issue.

:) GMs whole 5 years talk is BS. There is no way that is good for the car!

' date='Jul 5 2010, 12:45 PM' post='31770']

No coolant is good for five years.

Not dex-cool. No one that I know with a GM has been even able to reach that mark with their coolant. It always seems to sludge up before the 3 or 4 year mark.

You know what I learned when I was 18???? If one of your spark plug wires falls off turn the car off first before you put it back on! <_<

• Founders

You know what I learned when I was 18???? If one of your spark plug wires falls off turn the car off first before you put it back on! <_<

:lol2::):rofl:

For some reason I'm still getting this weird noise coming from the water pump but no coolant leak.

I'm setting up an appt. at Haddad Motorsports soon to get everything checked out. Also, to get the tranny retuned, it shifts real hard and I don't like it.

Hooray for knowing people! Thanks Jessika and previous GTO owner lol!!

OK, I called Mike at Haddad and he just gave me pointers over the phone because they really don't do this type of engine work. I was leaking coolant again and overheating. So, I went out and bought a new water pump at auto zone.

I just spent the last 2.5-3 hours taking out the old one and putting in the new one.

So for I haven't seen or smelled any coolant. I did notice however, the car got a little quieter since the new one was installed. Normal? Idk. Anyway, I cleaned off everything under the car, including the skid plate so I'll be checking that every so often but I'm hoping this is it!

Here are some pics I took:

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg