Forums Gone... but not forgotten!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Welcome to Forever Pontiac

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, full of great ideas for Pontiac performance, maintenance, or for peer-to-peer assistance from Professional and DIY mechanics. Also, compete in our Pontiac monthly competitions. Please register if you'd like to take part.

John Owens

New to the site

Hello all, my name is John. I live in East Tennessee. I’m currently in the process of restoring the old 68 GTO that my dad bought back in the day.

It’s a 400/400THM hardtop. No power steering, no power brakes, but has the headrest option.  Bottom picture is the first time it had seen daylight since 1973. 7AEEA2ED-B7FA-4EDB-A75B-94BCF5E52660.thumb.jpeg.12ee0b19a8858aba8b4a1e58d91685b0.jpegB3D1A03D-298B-4112-AA6E-F39410A11DCB.thumb.jpeg.fb78b0b4890b8804b01ca8129af0a0bf.jpeg

How rare is my odd option set?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

WELCOME TO THE SITE. Looks like a solid base/good project. Head rest were a popular addition.   Is it just the head rest (Code 571) or the Reclining passenger seat (Code 578) which included head rest? either way a nice addition. Was red the factory color?

Best of luck with her.

Ahh, you are correct. It’s the reclining option. Solar red was the factory color. 

:welcomeFP:

Nice looking goat! What are the plans?

Welcome aboard our John. I loved the old AC Fire Ring decals on the fender. You don’t see those things any more. 

I’ve spent quite a bit of time collecting every decal that was on it. I have a new pair of the AC’s that will go on a magnetic backing. That way I can have it his way, or my way, whenever I choose. Have any of you ever seen the tiny “Car of the year” stickers that were put on the vent windows? I’ve yet to find any of them.

Frosty, I failed to mention that this car spent its life not far from you. I grew up in Concord, MI. My daddy drove it all around lower Michigan, heck, you may have seen it if you were around in those days.

The car originally came from Red Holman Pontiac over in Wayne

12 hours ago, John Owens said:

I’ve spent quite a bit of time collecting every decal that was on it. I have a new pair of the AC’s that will go on a magnetic backing. That way I can have it his way, or my way, whenever I choose. Have any of you ever seen the tiny “Car of the year” stickers that were put on the vent windows? I’ve yet to find any of them.

Frosty, I failed to mention that this car spent its life not far from you. I grew up in Concord, MI. My daddy drove it all around lower Michigan, heck, you may have seen it if you were around in those days.

Concord, right off M-60 - between Homer and Spring Harbor - not far from Albion either if I recall. I spent a few summer baseball camps with my boy at Spring Harbor College, which is why I remember Concord just being up the road a bit.

As for the Car of Year stickers, no, but honestly I haven't looked. I see a ton of replica and original stickers at the Detroit Swap Meet, which will be in Novi MI this year on January 6-7, 2018. If I get down there again this year, I might look around again. Do you have a photo of what they look like?

12 hours ago, John Owens said:

The car originally came from Red Holman Pontiac over in Wayne

Now there is a dealership name I have not heard in quite a while.

Cool to have your Dad's car.  Hope all goes well gettin er back on the road.  Red Holman...been awhile.