Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I have a challenge for ya...

Alright, I've been trying to find something out here.

The Sunfire GXP concept from 2002, what motor was put into it?

I've tried to search, but with no luck.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Haha, I know it is on Gran Turismo 4, bc thats what I used for a good part of the game. :) I don't remember, but I can look at the specs when I get home.

:D Not gonna say the game will be right but it could be.

Haha, I know it is on Gran Turismo 4, bc thats what I used for a good part of the game. :) I don't remember, but I can look at the specs when I get home.

:D Not gonna say the game will be right but it could be.

Funny you say that, it's what triggered the curiousity.

It just says "L4" in it's specs...

But it sounds and behaves like a GM pushrod V6. Even it's starting power, 185HP... I slapped on the different types of exhaust, they sound like no 4 banger, just oddly similar to my own GA.

Ponder ponder...

http://www.netcarshow.com/pontiac/2002-sunfire_gxp/

there u go took two sec lol

theres also this this might help a little more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Sunfire

No bueno, my search results were the same. They state all the info except the GXP.

not very hard for someone thats been a j-body enthusiast for years

http://www.gmenthusiast.com/gallery/sema2002/gxp.php

gxp1.jpg

basically it was a early LSJ prototype

Younger drivers looking for punch, power and performance in a small package will be drawn to Pontiac's Sunfire GXP show car.

The Sunfire GXP, displayed for the first time at the 2002 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show, features streamlined styling with the GXP-specific Shadow Black tri-coat color scheme, front and rear fascia, fog lamps, rocker panel extensions, and rear deck spoiler.

The big news is the Sunfire GXP's supercharged Ecotec 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder engine. At 180 hp, it represents a significant boost in power over the entry level Sunfire's 140 hp engine, making Sunfire GXP a strong vehicle to attract young performance enthusiasts.

Designed with a lowered ride height to create a tight wheel-to-body relationship, the Sunfire GXP is equipped with performance-tuned suspension components, GXP specific 17-inch forged aluminum wheels and Bridgestone Potenza RE730 tires.

Larger diameter, high-performance front and rear disc brakes with red heat-resistant ceramic coated calipers, and a production based performance exhaust system are also included in the Sunfire GXP performance package.

Additional features on the Pontiac Sunfire GXP show car include a GXP specific instrument panel treatment with argent IP gauge cluster faceplate, metal-look interior trim bezels, GXP-specific aluminum design foot pedal covers and unique GXP performance series exterior badging.

Pontiac Sunfire GXP Vehicle Highlights:

Supercharged 180 hp Ecotec 2.0-liter I-4 engine

Hydra-Matic 4T45-E four-speed automatic transmission with floor-mounted shifter

GXP-specific instrument panel treatment with argent IP gauge cluster faceplate

GXP-specific metal-look interior trim bezels

GXP-specific aluminum design foot pedal covers

GXP-specific performance series exterior badging

GXP-specific Shadow Black tri-coat, show-quality paint scheme

GXP-specific front fascia/rear fascia, fog lamps, rocker panel extensions, rear deck spoiler

Lowered wheel-to-body ride height

Performance-tuned suspension components

Front/rear dampers, front/rear stabilizer bars

Larger diameter, high-performance front and rear disc brakes with red heat-resistant ceramic coated calipers

Production based performance exhaust system

GXP-specific 17-inch forged aluminum wheels

Bridgestone Potenza RE730 tires

Pearlized gray leather seating surfaces with suede-like fabric inserts

# # #

Found that too. I'm playing the game, which triggered my interest, and the game states the same info. There's gotta be another source...

ha, I thought the game had the specs but come to thik of it that game was always vague on concepts, like the Solstice coupe. I always figured it had the LA1

What game are you playing? THE game cuz if so you........................

JUST LOST THE GAME! :D

not very hard for someone thats been a j-body enthusiast for years

http://www.gmenthusiast.com/gallery/sema2002/gxp.php

gxp1.jpg

basically it was a early LSJ prototype

Younger drivers looking for punch, power and performance in a small package will be drawn to Pontiac's Sunfire GXP show car.

The Sunfire GXP, displayed for the first time at the 2002 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show, features streamlined styling with the GXP-specific Shadow Black tri-coat color scheme, front and rear fascia, fog lamps, rocker panel extensions, and rear deck spoiler.

The big news is the Sunfire GXP's supercharged Ecotec 2.0-liter inline four-cylinder engine. At 180 hp, it represents a significant boost in power over the entry level Sunfire's 140 hp engine, making Sunfire GXP a strong vehicle to attract young performance enthusiasts.

Designed with a lowered ride height to create a tight wheel-to-body relationship, the Sunfire GXP is equipped with performance-tuned suspension components, GXP specific 17-inch forged aluminum wheels and Bridgestone Potenza RE730 tires.

Larger diameter, high-performance front and rear disc brakes with red heat-resistant ceramic coated calipers, and a production based performance exhaust system are also included in the Sunfire GXP performance package.

Additional features on the Pontiac Sunfire GXP show car include a GXP specific instrument panel treatment with argent IP gauge cluster faceplate, metal-look interior trim bezels, GXP-specific aluminum design foot pedal covers and unique GXP performance series exterior badging.

Pontiac Sunfire GXP Vehicle Highlights:

Supercharged 180 hp Ecotec 2.0-liter I-4 engine

Hydra-Matic 4T45-E four-speed automatic transmission with floor-mounted shifter

GXP-specific instrument panel treatment with argent IP gauge cluster faceplate

GXP-specific metal-look interior trim bezels

GXP-specific aluminum design foot pedal covers

GXP-specific performance series exterior badging

GXP-specific Shadow Black tri-coat, show-quality paint scheme

GXP-specific front fascia/rear fascia, fog lamps, rocker panel extensions, rear deck spoiler

Lowered wheel-to-body ride height

Performance-tuned suspension components

Front/rear dampers, front/rear stabilizer bars

Larger diameter, high-performance front and rear disc brakes with red heat-resistant ceramic coated calipers

Production based performance exhaust system

GXP-specific 17-inch forged aluminum wheels

Bridgestone Potenza RE730 tires

Pearlized gray leather seating surfaces with suede-like fabric inserts

# # #

Well goddamn. It is an Ecotec. Still don't get why it sounds like a pushrod V6. :D

4T45E trans, explains why the shift points where so similar to my own car, very tall gears. :)

Well, that's what I was looking for. Kudos.

ha, I thought the game had the specs but come to thik of it that game was always vague on concepts, like the Solstice coupe. I always figured it had the LA1

By the engine behavior, and low power, I thought it was LA1 powered as well. :PICS:

well you cant expect a video game to get a concept car exactly right

True. But this Gran Turismo. That developer went bonkers researching, photographing and recording data on each car...

Makes me wonder where they got the drivetrain noise data from...

Wasn't this one of the test mule's for the Cobalt SS motor? Wasn't there also a Cavalier built in a similar fashion but yellow?