Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Help with toy for summer

ok guys so i need a hobby im in collge so my uncle was always like u should learn then u can do shit to my car lol so i have some choices up i need yinz help ive never dont this beofre but ive wanted to do this forever. Now pic a motor of what would be easiest. ive never ripped one appart and will have a guide book for doing this, cleaning then putting back together and ill help me out alot to for what tools i need thx guys

i was thinking eco tech

small block 305 chevy

ford motor

or any other

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you plan to put the motor back in to?

if you plan on doing a chevy 5.0 then would you put it in to a camaro?

think of what project CAR you want and work on that engine.

well i just want the motor so i can learn the ropes so wen i rebuild an LS1 and thro it in a camaro iroc so i just want something to tinker with and like for under 300 so i think our motors are out unless and yard has one

i kno its price thats all then i need to get tools and a stand so after all my money is gone this paycheck due go jackholes i have insurance next and god knows whats left ill start that one

its ecotec, not eco tech

anyways they are cheap and very easy to build theres also build books straight from gm that tell you exactly how to mod them

Boosted L61's aren't very common, and they have lots of potential. I've only seen boosted L61's in J-bodies though, I'd love to see a boosted L61 in an N-body.

for the love of GOD dont rebuild a 305 v8. THERE IS NO POINT. a 350 weighs pretty much the same and actually MAKES POWA!!

ok guy, let me throw some wisdom atcha

first off, i applaud your want to build SIMPLY an engine. it shows you actually want to learn engine building SPECIFICALLY instead of hey what car can i buy and bolt on lots of cool parts

that being said however, you are better off buying a whole car. reason being, its much harder to run, test, and possibly sell a motor that is by itself. unless you plan on building a stand that you can run the motor on, this will be the case.

find a local goodwill auction. they sell non-runner cars for very cheap, and sometimes you will find a running car that is simply not firing on one cyl that just needs a fuel injector or spark plug wire. find the one that you would like to rebuild with the worst engine condition and pick it up for cheaper than the rest!

or iwanna or craigslist! this is probably your best bet. find a classic with a REAL v8. or even better, find a project where someone has done everything BUT the engine. if you are gonna get a ford, it better be something cool like a flathead v8. the regular old ford v8's are mostly not worth building compared to a chevy v8.

horsepower TV built similar SBC 350 chevy and 351 ford engines using the same type aftermarket parts and the EXACT same carb. they also did this with chevy 454 and ford 460 big blocks, same procedure. every time the chevy came out on top for HP and TQ. and as far as reliability, chevy will win every time. ford 5.0 engines were plagued with thin block castings for MANY years. not something you want when you're building something to romp on....

chevy parts are also MUCH cheaper. rebuildable blocks can be had for cheap, parts interchange for decades, therefore they are more plentiful and cheaper. used aluminum intakes for chevys can be found online for as low as 20 dollars sometimes!

for a FUN and EASY first engine build an old chevy v8 is the way to go. hell i've got a rebuildable SBC 350 from a pickup (which means stonger 4bolt mains) that i'd give ya for 150. (ive seen 4 bolt main cores go for 300)

for my engine building class in college, i wanted to first do a honda because i had them, i liked them, and they were smaller and cheaper than the v8's since 4 less cyl. however, the teachers at my school had BANNED honda engines from rebuild class because of a few morons who pretty much stumped their teachers with STRANGE honda issues, mainly due to the fact that they didnt just want to build their engine, they were also attempting to swap auto-manual, and do other things like use different computers and TB's and so on and so forth, bringing up issues that old farts at our school did not want to touch

my parents had bought an old ford two door something or another because it was cool, old and cheap. it was sitting on a 77 chevelle frame with some old rusty two barrel v8. they purchased a proper ford X frame to set the ford on, and GAVE me the chevelle frame and engine. I BITCHED LIKE HELL because they gave me a solid lump of RUST. i actually drove it into school as a rolling frame with about 5 HP. thats Human Powers, not horse :)

little did i know, they just gave me chevy's SECOND BIGGEST smallblock. second to the one and only LS7 427

thats right, they gave me a 400 SBC :D

it was not, however, all smiles after that. this block had been thru hell and back. one of my teachers actually told me my engine measurements were wrong and made me go back and remeasure. when i came back with the exact same numbers he came out to look at my engine and measure himself. when he found the same measurements, he couldnt believe it and could not explain how the wear was different amounts in DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS. the block needed line boring, cam AND crank, cyl bored .20 over, and the crank turned 10/10. the motor was seized until the block was mostly disassembled of its rotating assembly. the crank, main bearing caps, connecting rods, heads, and valves were the only things reused, all of which were reworked and refurbished.

in the end it had an edelbrock aluminum intake and holley carb, and some flowtech headers... a wild ass cam with rhodes anti-pump up lifters to keep it in check... and enough chrome to kill a horse...

and what a result. every classroom emptied into the main bays when i started up my 400. everyone figured they were starting up the hooters pro cup car, but alas it was ME. it revved fast as hell like a motorcycle... well like four motorcycles actually. one of the most beautiful sounds ive ever heard. i got a B for that class, i didnt get an A because he said "open headers is considered an exhaust leak" :willy_nilly:

Get a 350...parts are cheap and they are pretty easy to work on.

:)

I would have to agree, go with a 350. They are as readily available as you can get, cheap and easy to build, and you can get some real power from them if done right.

A friend of mine is building/resoring a 1984 OLDSMOBILE 442. He just put in a 350 with a 400 tranny, headers and exhast. All nothing special done to it and the thing is a monster. Thats another type of car thats easy to work on, cheep parts & cars to get and there is pleanty of parts out there. 80's Monty (SS), Regals (GS, GNX), Cutlass (444, H/O) & Grand prix (2+2), El Camino, Malibu ect all would be great cars to learn on.

I like the idea of working on a second LZ4 motor... your could make a nice motor to put back in your car.

Pretty much what I said. Hell, I'm looking for a spare LA1 to do an LX9 top swap, or find a whole LX9.

its ecotec, not eco tech

It's it's not its...

Sorry I couldn't help myself. :)

Any who, about the 305...

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!

That thing is a dog, if you're going to use a small block Chevy, use the 350, trust me, I already have plans to trash my 305.

NOOOOO

FWD SUXOR

this is coming from a HONDA guy. DONT do a FWD!! if you are gonna build it and its FWD it better be a honda. If you're gonna build a motor and its not a honda, IT BETTER BE RWD

or hell, do a RWD ecotec! just dont waste your time building a FWD motor. as soon as you're putting out real power you realize you start having traction problems, plus whatever problems come from having an american FWD car. not to offend anyone, and im sure i will here, but AMERICAN FWD CARS SUXOR.

go buy a yank tank. do it. do it now. if you want a front wheel drive four cyl, GO GET A HONDA. they are the only ones that do it right!

if you wanted a 4cy awd, id be telling you to get a subie. if you wanted a mid engine car id tell you go get a fiero and swap it.

seriously tho, if you get a J-body i will never stop making fun of you. J-bodys SUCK

To be honest im getting sick of all your I hate FWD American cars and they suck! I love my car and most of the cars on this forum are FWD American cars. So if you hate them so much why do you come here? If you love Honda so much go join there forum and bla bla bla all you want but enouff already. Im not asking you to leave our forum but it just enouff already.

sorry Killiger2009

• Founders

To be honest im getting sick of all your I hate FWD American cars and they suck! I love my car and most of the cars on this forum are FWD American cars. So if you hate them so much why do you come here? If you love Honda so much go join there forum and bla bla bla all you want but enouff already. Im not asking you to leave our forum but it just enouff already.

sorry Killiger2009

I agree with Joe, Kaymo honestly your just starting controversy with everything you say about Honda this Honda that. This is a Pontiac forum aka an American Car forum so if you want to talk about Honda please go to a Honda forum. You can talk about American cars here but not start controversy with it.

I agree with Joe, Kaymo honestly your just starting controversy with everything you say about Honda this Honda that. This is a Pontiac forum aka an American Car forum so if you want to talk about Honda please go to a Honda forum. You can talk about American cars here but not start controversy with it.

i agree with u and jedi ringo i love american period hate honda thats that id do a ecotec just because its a starter and im not putting it in anything i just want to learn...how come u like V8s but love honda theres no mix there its really one or the other

alright im sorry for not being more specific. i hate CAVALIERS. i think the g6 is a very nice car. but its not a four banger either. and its not a J-body. so its not awful. i HAVE a j-body. i KNOW how awful it is. thats why i said dont do it.

i was not trying to convince him he should take a honda as a project. if you think i meant that, you arent getting what im saying.

all i meant is, the people who do front wheel drive four cyl the BEST is honda. there is hardly any other FWD four cyl worth building. period.

just like the people who do 4wd and 4cyl best is SUBARU!!!

altho some say an EVO would be better

but if you ask me what you should get if you want a four door four wheel drive, and i come back with this:

Eagle_84_1.jpg

id expect you to laugh me out of the room.

if you're gonna get JUST a motor and build it, GET A V8 CHEVY

building a four cyl on a stand to not even put in a car is retarded. unless you ACTUALLY find someone who needs this type of motor for their car, to you its a paperweight.

building a v8 on a stand that you dont plan on putting in a car, IS STILL A BIG ASS V8 that you could go sell to some (not being racist, being real) black guy with a big box chevy and a worn out 305 he wants to replace. then you can take the money you just made and start another project, instead of throwing money at something you cant even use that probably wont even sell. because building a motor costs money, unless you are just tearing down and putting back together.

which if thats the case, you should just go find whatever FREE junk motor you can, whether its a HONDA or FORD or WTF ever! hell ive got a junk honda motor you can have to tear down and reassemble. ill even give you a manual to go with it!

i wasnt trying to do the whole "honda is better" thing here guys. im just saying if you're gonna do this, do it smart.

pick something you wont have to pay anything for, or if you do pay for it, pick something you can make your money back off of and more!

if you pay for it, and make nothing off it from rebuilding it, you have thrown money away that you could have just used to sign up for an automotive engine building class. where they let you do tear down and build ups of THEIR motors, and teach you things as well.

i agree with u and jedi ringo i love american period hate honda thats that id do a ecotec just because its a starter and im not putting it in anything i just want to learn...how come u like V8s but love honda theres no mix there its really one or the other

whats wrong with a chevy v8 for a starter? its cheaper to get and cheaper to build and in the end you can sell it easy. esp if you're not putting it in anything.

how come i like v8's? because they are compact and make lots of power and destroy lots of fuel. why do i like hondas? because they are compact, make lots of power for their size, and handle better than any similar car of the same year (if not much newer cars) and because i actually have to PAY for the fuel i destroy.

no mix? one or the other? first off, whats wrong with having a honda DD and a chevy v8 powered weekender? gas prices deem that the best option.. secondly, there are a bunch of v8 powered hondas out there, dont believe me check youtube LOL but lastly, i KNOW you're not trying to say that honda doesnt know HOW to build a big engine, because ill just have to lay this whopper on ya

0502ht_hall_07_z.jpg

ever heard of honda's oval piston engine? sure its just a little bike engine, but notice any similarities to a v8?

800pxovalpistonyi6.jpg