Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Help with toy for summer

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

look... you have your opinions and everyone has theirs.

I can definitely say that the SUBARU is not the BEST because if you look at the types of racing the AWD's are in, then you will see which car works best for what.

it all depends on what you want to do to the car. if you are going to build a fast fwd, then it really depends on what you want to do with the car in the future once complete.

i personally hate HONDAS with a passion. they sound annoying and make me sick when i see all the riced out honda owners around town. granted their are a lot of nicer ones but they are overrated little 4 bangers that can't do anything good in any other class but n/a fwd in the 1/4 mile. i have not once seen a fwd honda in any Road Racing stomp a cobalt, mitsu fwd, or anything else. im not trying to flame you in any way shape or form but you can't just say, "build this or build that." until you know what their initial goal is.

what i am saying is it all DEPENDS ON WHAT HE WANTS TO DO.

I myself am a mitsu junky and i keep most of that on the other dsm forums. i just started one thread about wanting to buy one and i think thats about it.

now killiger, what do you want to build the motor for? are you wanting to dump it in a cavi or sunfire and build a 1/4 car, road racing car, etc? just trying to get a feel of the goals and wants before i can even recommend anything. im not too good with the american motors but i can do my best to see out what you want.

i just want something to do i cant like not do anything all summer....except my gf lol anyways i just want to learn im no putting it into anything i can get a stand with the raidator and gas tank gauges and all that for 250 bucks at carlisle so i just need something to start me off because wen my pappy passes on im the only one that wants his 71 thunderbird and it only hass 44k original miles and just needs more power for that 460 big block and cosmetic work i want it as a semtimetal item and their huge but ive always liked that car its a big part of my family and i love cars their my passion (certain cars) i love the sound and feel and the take offs of them it feels good just to wash my car or change the oil even though it can be fustrating i love it and knowledge is power right so yea

i just want something to do i cant like not do anything all summer....except my gf lol anyways i just want to learn im no putting it into anything i can get a stand with the raidator and gas tank gauges and all that for 250 bucks at carlisle so i just need something to start me off because wen my pappy passes on im the only one that wants his 71 thunderbird and it only hass 44k original miles and just needs more power for that 460 big block and cosmetic work i want it as a semtimetal item and their huge but ive always liked that car its a big part of my family and i love cars their my passion (certain cars) i love the sound and feel and the take offs of them it feels good just to wash my car or change the oil even though it can be fustrating i love it and knowledge is power right so yea

dude, you must be REALLY out of breath. there are these things that separate ideas so that they can be read easier. they are called periods. they are not just what makes your girlfriend bitchy once a month. there is even a rule (yes i read them) that says "Please use full sentences like you are chatting in a formal email." its hard to break down your posts because you run one idea into the next.

from what i can tell, and what you have said, you just want something to build and learn on. also it seems you do NOT want a whole car, you just want to start it on a stand. if you are going to spend 250 on a stand alone to run this engine, i would first ask you if there are any schools that offer automotive tech classes, because by the time you spent 250 on the stand, and whatever on the motor, you could have probably signed up for a REAL engine building class and learned from good teachers.

if class is not an option or what you want to do, i understand. you can still learn much from tearing down and rebuilding an engine on your own. but before you go out and blow 250 on a special stand, think about what you are investing. that is alot for a radiator and some gauges. depending on what engine you get, your stand will probably require special or custom mounts (dont forget most engines use the transmission as a mount as well so are you getting a trans too?), who knows if the gauges will hook up the same to your engine. that and how many engines are you going to build and test on this stand? if this is the only one, thats kinda silly to spend that much. and if you are working on cars, you wouldn't use that engine test stand. you're gonna build the engine and put it back in the car it came out of!

if you really want to do the stand thing, i would get your motor first, with engine mounts already attached, and build one out of WOOD. its cheaper, its easier than welding metal, you can easily build it strong enough, and add more wood if you dont the first time, and when you're done you can take it apart, build something else, or burn it to keep you warm next winter. radiators can be had cheap and a pickapart junkyard, and a gauge set from harbor freight is 20 dollars!! now instead of 250, you have spent more like 100 on rad, gauges, and enough wood to build a sturdy frame. hell you might be cheaper than that! now you have extra cash to spend on the motor.

As for WHAT motor you are getting... in the end its yours. it doesnt matter what i rant and rave about, or what anyone else says. you are going to do what you are going to do. So, to all the guys giving me shit about offering advice, BITE ME. i'm offering advice from my personal experience and he can take it or leave it, but i dont like getting told im doing something wrong when im simply offering my opinion that DOES come from personal experience and not just personal FEELINGS

and AGAIN. i NEVER told him to build a honda!! i never told him to take one on as a project! i simply meant there are BETTER NA FWD 4cyls out there! im sorry i left out NATURALLY ASPERATED when i said this before. yes there are better turbo/supercharged 4cyl engines out there.

basically i hope he steers towards a chevy v8 simply because its an easy engine to build and learn on, cheap to build, and one could actually make one's money back off it in the end. building practically ANYTHING ELSE would probably be MUCH harder to make your money back from. unless you already have someone specifically looking for THAT motor rebuilt. Hey, maybe you CAN find someone who wants a motor they HAVE rebuilt, and is willing to let you do it to learn on! that would be the BEST situation because it makes the motor FREE.

MTZvibe- did you not read what i said about subie? let me requote myself

"just like the people who do 4wd and 4cyl best is SUBARU!!! altho some say an EVO would be better"

i think subie makes the best 4wd 4cyl. thats my opinion. my evidence-ken block. thats all i have to say about that. and i never said they were best for racing or best for rally or best for anything really. i just said they were best at making a 4wd 4cyl. i could have meant best 4wd 4cyl snow beater for my mom's grocery getter. Subie makes a good 4cyl and awd system, and i dont think anyone can argue THAT.

but my main point was, that if someone WANTED a 4cyl AWD to build, and i said AMC EAGLE, i should be THEN beaten with a stick, because the subie and evo would kick its ass up and down the street. or dirt road.

as for Honda. of COURSE it can't do anything good in any other class but n/a fwd in the 1/4 mile. THEY AREN'T MADE TO BE GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE. that being said, there are PLENTY of turbo hondas that are QUITE competitive in drag racing. and to say there aren't any is silly since last i checked, two hondas dominated the fwd drag competition....

"i have not once seen a fwd honda in any Road Racing stomp a cobalt, mitsu fwd, or anything else."

well im sorry you havent seen it, but it happens a lot. a 1st gen CRX will out handle a NEW LOTUS ELISE. not as fast in a straight (if its not swapped) but it will catch up and pass in the corners. thats not my opinon, thats just fact. happened at VIR not too long ago.

ok, lets STOP talking about honda now, because i never intended it to be a part of the discussion like this. i was simply trying to make the point of there are BETTER things to start with than a J-body's 4cyl

THATS IT

I really want to get an LSx block and build the hell out of it to drop in the T/A. 350 small blocks are just money when it comes to performance. And if you don't want to keep the fully assebled engine there are TONS of people out there that will jump on a freshly built 350 engine.