Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Painting Interior pieces?

So i have decided on painting to interior pieces sometime soon but i dont know how to do it and or what paint to use. Colors are needed too. I am accenting my car with purple =]so hellpp pleeaassee =]

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, i dont know whats around the vents and stuff, dont own a GA. so dont know how different it is to G6. looks like you will have someone to post info later. but if its textured and you want it smooth, you will need to sand it. i painted some smooth pieces and i jus cleaned it and used adhesion promoter then the paint. didnt bother to sand. and i havent used and krylon or other similar brands to paint. i used the duplicolors.

sometimes you can jus clean them and paint it. some have said to use the Krylon Fusion paint because it bonds to the surface. you could go that route. to be a little "professional", you sand it smooth or sand off and previous paint and use primer first. a light sanding then paint. or go all "pro", sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, clear, buff. i have done both simple and pro-ish painting but i use the Duplicolor brand.

' date='Mar 18 2010, 05:22 PM' post='17811']

Krylon Fusion works pretty damn good. Wal-Mart has a whole array of colors.

there you go M, someone with first hand experience with Fusion.

ugghh! i think this is going to be harder then what i thought...screw life! i need a man that knows this shit..

• Founders

ugghh! i think this is going to be harder then what i thought...screw life! i need a man that knows this shit..

take it easy, learn about it and you'll be much happier then having someone do it :lurking:

one thing we are forgetting is...have you taken the interior pieces off before? do you know how?

When I have painted interior pieces this is what I do:

1. Wash with dish soap, I use the apple scented stuff just cause it smells up the garage

2. Degrease with TSP, Simple Green and a tooth brush to get into all of the tiny cracks and pores

3. Rinse

4. Repeat above two to three times depending on how bad it could be.

A good way to tell is to use a dry cloth spray some clean degreaser on if the cloth has dirt on it your not done.

5. Light sanding with 800 - 1000 grit - wipe dust off with a tack cloth

6. Primer or adhesion promoter two or three light coats.

7. Light sanding with 1000 - 1200 grit

8. Paint -- two or three light coats.

I tried using the Duplicolor interior paint and I hated it. I have actually had better luck with engine block paint. If you want a good clear coat I have found that SEM makes a clear coat for wheels that works the best for me.

Friends of mine use Krylon plastic paint I have not but they have good results. If I think of it I can send you pictures of my doors that I did in a hurry on my truck. They are peeling badly but the centre console I took my time with much better results.

yeah i have never even taken them off..im thinking about just saying screw it with the whole project..

you should search for that info first then decide to go for it or not. and paint isnt really hard. you jus point and press.

im dangerous with paint....when our house was built about 4 years ago we were painting the family room and i spilled the whole can of paint on the brand new carpet...

Guest GA_Girl2002

well, be carefull taking those pieces off, but its easier to have someone who knows exactly what they're doing, do it... lol.

STOP!

go get some GREEN scotchbrite pads and SCRUB all of the panels. only scrub where you want the paint to stick. when you are finished there should be a consistent dull surface, no shinyness. if its a textured panel, make sure you scrub enough to get in between the bumps. after this its good to use adhesion promoter, and then krylon fusion. after cleaning of course...

SEM also makes good interior paints. heard GREAT things about them

i need instructions on how to take them off..i have already read like 20 times how to paint..no big deal i just need to know how to take them off..and i need paint color suggestions..

you dont have a repair manual for your car? they are only 25 dollars and can save your bacon more often than not!

i realize youve read the painting instructions from other people, but i havent seen one person tell you about how important it is to have the surface properly prepped to make the paint stick. some people did mention about sanding but it seemed they were more sanding to get a smooth finish. the surface needs to be rough enough for the paint to stick otherwise it will come off in big nasty flakes!!! whether its a smooth or textured panel, scotchbrite pads are a must!!