Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Dash Pad Replacement 67 GTO

I've been thinking about replacing the dash pad in my 67 gto. The previous owner put one of those cheaper plastic covers in it. Doesn't look too bad, but I think heat has caused the right side to distort some. I have read in some restoration guides that there are 4 or 5 screws above the instrument panel, one just above and left of the glove box and another on the right end just above the glove box. Do any of you have some experience with this that you could share?  Thanks in advance.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

If your '67 is anything like my '72, it helps to remove everything else first, the instrument cluster, radio, heater/AC ducts/controls, glove box, etc. If you can remove the front seats and console, so much the better, but that is not entirely necessary, but it does make it easy to work on your back. All you want is a basic shell of the dash in order to get the mounting screws to release the pad from the the metal dash frame.

I would highly recommend getting a GM/Pontiac shop manual for your car with the assembly/dis assembly procedures and illustration.

66-7_gto_dash_parts.gif

• Like 1

Thanks Frosty, I just got a copy of the shop manuals for the car this past weekend, but the details were a little vague on the topic. I have read in other sources that removal of the glove box is a must to get to the two fasteners on that side.

Thanks Frosty, I just got a copy of the shop manuals for the car this past weekend, but the details were a little vague on the topic. I have read in other sources that removal of the glove box is a must to get to the two fasteners on that side.

For my '72 Lemans, that was absolutely the case. I suspect that will be the same thing with you. Getting the radio, cluster and the rest makes access to all the other bolts a whole lot easier too. Also, it gives you a chance to look at things and detail them out. - especially any burned  or dim out bulbs in the cluster.

• Like 1

There are 5 screws just under the DS leading edge of the pad. These can be removed with a stubby phillips screw driver.

Then on the PS there are studs that protrude through the dash. One at each corner of the passenger side compartment.

To access the stud/nuts at the left & right of glove box, the liner and ashtray have to be removed. Should not need to touch radio. 

Once all the screws and the 2 nuts are removed pull the pad forward while lifting and she should lift off.

Good Luck. 

• Like 2

There are 5 screws just under the DS leading edge of the pad. These can be removed with a stubby phillips screw driver.

Then on the PS there are studs that protrude through the dash. One at each corner of the passenger side compartment.

To access the stud/nuts at the left & right of glove box, the liner and ashtray have to be removed. Should not need to touch radio. 

Once all the screws and the 2 nuts are removed pull the pad forward while lifting and she should lift off.

Good Luck. 

Sprint knows........ Always good tips from Frosty too.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

It's time to replace it. Been putting this off for too long, but had to take care of a few other things that had priority. Do any of you have a suggested vendor for a replacement dash pad? I've looked at OPGI, Ames, NPD, Year One, etc. Planning to purchase one in the next 2-3 weeks so any feedback would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I bought my 67 GTO one year ago today. If's been a fun year to say the least. When we first looked at the car, the first thing I noticed was the cheap plastic cover over the old dash pad. In the first days of owning the car I thought that would be the first issue I addressed with the car, but as time passed I decided it wasn't my highest priority. Well it finally rose to the top of my list and I ordered a new dash pad from OPGI in late April. The first one I received looked good for the most part, but had a few blemishes so I returned it and ask that someone inspect the replacement prior to shipping it to me. I received the second one in great shape. I decided to repaint the top of the dash, the part visible between the front edge of the dash pad and the base of the windshield. That was interesting since I wrapped the inside and outside of the car in drop cloths. So as you can probably imagine I was painting a five inch strip five feet wide while inside a plastic bubble. The good news is it came out great and no overspray anywhere. Here are some before and after pictures. The before picture looks worse than it really was because I had pulled up the right side to try to see what the old dash pad was like under the plastic cover.

IMG_3909.jpeg

IMG_6132.JPG

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Does anyone have instructions for installing the dash pad, can I install it with the cluster on or do I have to remove the cluster and then put the dash pad on? Any help is appreciated

The only part you will need to remove to install the PAD is the Glove Box Liner. You do not need to remove the gauge bezel.

Cheers 

Sprint6 thanks for the info, pretty new to working on these old classics. I took it apart about 8 months ago and the guy that had just had a bunch of screws holding it in, so are the screws that go through the bezel above the gauges for the dash pad as well or are they screwed in separate ?

Correct remove 4 screws under the forward upper edge of Pad  above the gauges. Then glove box removal will allow access to the 2 studs at the left and right side of the passenger side pad.  

67 PAD 3.jpg

• 1 year later...