Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I am Definitely in Trouble Now

Frosty

I am definitely in trouble now boys. For several years now, about 5 miles from our old house lies a small wrecking yard. In the front, out near the street sits a '50 Dodge pickup. I looked at it closely last year and I knew it was going to required a ton of metal work to bring it back, plus the front is just plain and flat and somewhat ugly. No style like Fords or Chevys of the era. My 13-year old boy has seen the truck too and one year for his birthday he asked for this truck. Mom and I laughed. However, it still has not gotten this truck thing out of his head.

So early this summer, he spied a '50 Chevy pickup. The owner was asking $7800 for it. It was barn fresh. Original motor, suspension, the bed was bolted down with 2x4s. This thing looked solid but was in need of a total restoration.

So now we go to the Charleston Rod Run and Doo Wop car show in Charleston WV this past weekend. The kid and I are wandering through the swap meet area. I saw some very old Pontiac signs I wish I had bought but I later learned they sold for $300 each - too rich for my blood right now. The boy sees a '54 Chevy 5-window pickup on a trailer. I talk to the owner, it is mounted on an '85 S10 chassis and it has a '99 S10 Blazer rear end for 4-wheel disk brakes, a small block Chevy V8 and automatic transmission. He's asking $3500.00. All the major pieces are there but it clearly needs to be sand blasted and some patch work done to it. So the kid is all over me to buy this thing. The wife took pictures of me crawling all over it. I will post the pictures once I get them out of her camera.

I looked at the truck thoroughly, I like the fact that it has only a 30 year old chassis under it rather than a 60 year old chassis, so parts are more readily available for it. My problems are (A) no cash since we have 2 houses right now ( B) I need to build a pole barn at the new house for my own car projects, © because of reason A we don't have any spare money to buy the truck right now either, (D) I don't have any place to store it right now and I am currently leasing a storage unit for the Lemans, (E) I have no place to work on it (F) I have to get it home from WV.

So my wife tells the kid and I "do our homework", So I call some buddies. I have a bud with a 3/4 ton P/U and trailer but it might be just as cheap to have it shipped home once you figure the cost of gas, motel stays, and food for 2-3 people. OK problem F essentially solved. Another pal that notallthere and I both know is giving his son the family Mustang convertible once he graduates from college in December, so his place will have another spot for a vehicle. Plus the garage is heated and he has tools to work on both his '35 Ford street rod and perhaps the '54. Problems D and E are essentially solved. I am guesstimating $15-25K to do this project.

So know it essentially comes down to cash. I have the '54 owners contact information so I can call him. He's been trying to sell it for about a year with no takers. So I don't see this as a hot seller. My concern is this, should I invest the money into this truck and commit to this project? Yes it would be a great father-son project and I would love to do it for him. It also gives me the chance to build a hot rod. Given that my car projects have sat for almost 2-3 years plus I need to build a pole barn for myself, I am in a quandary on what to do since building this truck will rob me of funds for both my cars plus the pole barn (unless I win the lottery).

Right now the kid has been told to research other trucks in our area by mom. Plus he is back in school so that will distract him for a little while, however, come this weekend, I think he will be all over me again. Your thoughts?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do it. My parents went through the same sort of dilemma with the Phoenix. They thought I was crazy to have it as my first car, but it has defined me as a person and I'm so glad I bought that car vs that POS Grand Am my parents wanted me to get. I know for a fact that you'll regret not working on the truck with your boy. In my opinion, just do it, it will be worth it in the long run.

• Founders

Fund wise if it is something you can foot without majorly hurting yourself and something both you and your son REALLY want to do and it won't go stale after a little while, then go for it ;)

80's S10 frames are weak and like to rust, even where I live and hardly anything rusts, S10 frames rust through. The original chassis is a lot better then the S-10 and the parts are readily available practically anywhere, plus the aftermarket is massive for those trucks and there are tons of IFS, IRS and other suspension kits available for them. The guy not being able to sell the truck throws up some red flags for me.

I build hot rods and do restorations and I know this stuff, but it's all up to you in the long run.

I honestly think you could get a decent truck that might be a better builder cheaper if you look... I just finished a 56 Chev a couple weeks ago, full cost of the project was $2100 but the owner did not want the paint done. Pluss I built my 36 GMC for less then $2000. (also without paint)

I'd give an arm and a leg to have a father that would do such a thing as a project car with me. Now granted I wasn't really into cars at a younger age but now I would kill for it. If he really is into doing this it would be a forever lasting bond if you followed through with it.

Another way I look at this (granted I don't know your background info so sorry if I offend you) You have chosen to have a child so right away they come first so its hard to say that you dont want to do this because you have your own wants in vehicles(mods). Of course you should still be able to do what you want to but having a child complicates that decision and for me it is simple child>you.

Okay here is the plan:

Get the truck.

Friday drive to WV

Hit up racerman. Drive the wee out of his Chevelle. Ensure we bring transmission money.

Meet up with Coy. Drink stumpwater till we are stupid.

Go to Hooters

Spend 30 hrs sobering up.

Drive home.

Okay here is the plan:

Get the truck.

Friday drive to WV

Hit up racerman. Drive the wee out of his Chevelle. Ensure we bring transmission money.

Meet up with Coy. Drink stumpwater till we are stupid.

Go to Hooters

Spend 30 hrs sobering up.

Drive home.

Damn dude, you have such vision. Why didn't I think of that?

80's S10 frames are weak and like to rust, even where I live and hardly anything rusts, S10 frames rust through. The original chassis is a lot better then the S-10 and the parts are readily available practically anywhere, plus the aftermarket is massive for those trucks and there are tons of IFS, IRS and other suspension kits available for them. The guy not being able to sell the truck throws up some red flags for me. I build hot rods and do restorations and I know this stuff, but it's all up to you in the long run. I honestly think you could get a decent truck that might be a better builder cheaper if you look... I just finished a 56 Chev a couple weeks ago, full cost of the project was $2100 but the owner did not want the paint done. Pluss I built my 36 GMC for less then $2000. (also without paint)

Agreed with LN7....... Dumpin that kinda $$$ into modded truck will never see the $$ back. Maybe in STOCK/original resto. Too many cheaper projects around if you look. With all your contacts local, put the word out on what your lookin for. I can think of 3 or 4 great deals I've seen this summer alone. I know of one up by my cabin thats had a 4 sale sign and looked good from the road. Will get info when I head up in Nov for huntin.

The project with the son will be priceless. The total cost is not up to you. My Dad offered to match me on motorcycles/snowmobiles ect. ( I still have my 1st Rupp snowmobile from 71) When you work for your goals, every piece is proudly taken care of and respected. Took me 5yrs of buyin swappin parts for my GTO. Drivin it this summer was priceless. This will be an awesome learning experience of restoring, welding and a complete understanding of the ride. Plus, B'days, Christmas ect is covered for years to come. LOL

Dammit, I used the "dude" word again. My bad.

Let me be very clear, I want to do this truck for sure. I have already explained to him how he has to go "fund raising" for this thing in terms of keeping up grades, his scouting and baseball commitments plus chores around the house. As for birthdays and Christmas, yes, Summit Racing and LMC catalog gift certificates will be on his list for several years.

Dammit, I used the "dude" again. My bad. Let me be very clear, I want to do this truck for sure. I have already explained to him how he has to go "fund raising" for this thing in terms of keeping up grades, his scouting and baseball commitments plus chores around the house. As for birthdays and Christmas, yes, Summit Racing and LMC catalog gift certificates will be on his list for several years.

Ok, narrow down the search. Whatcha lookin for ...DUDE :lol2: Years, makes, price range. Running?? We'll hook you guys up.

Havoc, right now I am trying to get him to Star.. He's not very motivated to get service hours or merit badges done which bothers me. So if he wants this truck, I am expecting him to step up in a very big way. He works his way to Star, Life and then Eagle, does his homework and get good grades, practices baseball every day like it is a game, and then we will work on the truck together. If he wants this bad enough, he needs to step up. I know he can do it, he's just had it easy for a long time.

As I said before, I want to do this project, Funds is the big issue for mom and I right now.

Havoc, right now I am trying to get him to Star.. He's not very motivated to get service hours or merit badges done which bothers me. So if he wants this truck, I am expecting him to step up in a very big way. He works his way to Star, Life and then Eagle, does his homework and get good grades, practices baseball every day like it is a game, and then we will work on the truck together. If he wants this bad enough, he needs to step up. I know he can do it, he's just had it easy for a long time.

As I said before, I want to do this project, Funds is the big issue for mom and I right now.

I was First Class forever. 2 years I believe. I turned in my Eagle Scout application the day before my 18th birthday haha. The First Class to Star period seems to be when most kids slow down in advancement and/or quit scouting. You says hes 13 and already working on Star? Hes got me beat by 2 years. Give him time, I was just as unmotivated at that point.

If he ever needs help with his scouting or you have any questions, just shoot me a message.

Well here are some pictures of this potential project. The worst looking fender is the right rear. I know LMC and others re-pop them so I am not too worried about it. There is some rust in the inner fenders and at the front of the cab that you can not see in these photos since the fenders covers it up. Still looks like a potentially low rust/sheet metal replacement project. I just need the funds now.

October2012223.jpg

October2012216.jpg

October2012218.jpg

Here is what a '50 Dodge pickup looks like. I saw this at a car show in September. The one that is near our house does not even look half as a good as this truck does. As you can see, a '50 Dodge pickup leaves a lot to be desired compared to a Chevy or Ford of the day. Still if has the classic running boards and rounded rear fenders.

100_2714.jpg

Hey I am not just here as a pretty face.

Really? Must be all that moonlighting as a gigolo for zoo animals that you do.

I was First Class forever. 2 years I believe. I turned in my Eagle Scout application the day before my 18th birthday haha. The First Class to Star period seems to be when most kids slow down in advancement and/or quit scouting. You says hes 13 and already working on Star? Hes got me beat by 2 years. Give him time, I was just as unmotivated at that point.

If he ever needs help with his scouting or you have any questions, just shoot me a message.

He wants to do Sea Base in the Florida Keys this year. Again, he has to get his butt in gear for that too. Again, it is the motivational things here. Right now, video games and baseball are his biggest after school interests.

Thanks for the offer of help. He also knows several Eagles from our troop that have gotten their Eagle too. We have one Eagle that turns 18 in January. He already has his Eagle and now has earned his Eagle gold palm. So we have some boys that are well motivated to getting this stuff done. He needs to hang with them some more.

• Founders

Not passing assumptions about your offspring but my parents were the same way when I bought my first car. I really wasn't motivated in school, did little studying but still got A's and B's. Had a part-time job at Circuit City selling computers but hated it so wasn't really motivated there (pay was horrible). Only thing I was really motivated in doing was playing video games, hanging with friends and playing music. They thought I was going to destroy the '95 Monte Carlo I bought. That was the turning point of me getting into cars and really I took better care of that car then I probably did myself :lol:

Not saying that if you're buying him a car and helping him work on it that school, chores, etc... shouldn't come first, just saying that those who get motivated in something will surprise you.

My Dad jokes about me and video games because he used to say "You'll never get into college if you keep that up", then I got into college he'd say "you'll never get a good job if you keep that up", got a great job and have scaled the company ladder. Seems to be his favorite tale about my life :lol:

If you do get it I know someone that would be interested in the wheels to suppliment the funding of the project.

Thanks for the advice Ringo. We got his first progress report for the school year, It was not good. So privileges like the truck will need to wait until he gets his act together a little more. He is definitely in the dog house with mom all weekend.

Notallthere, I can use all the funding sources I can find with this potential project. Thanks buddy,

Here is the subtle differences between a '50 Chevy and a '54 Chevy. I am told that a '50-'53 grill will bolt directly onto a '54. All the major sheet metal is identical, only the grill and tailgate were changed between '53 and '54, so I have been led to believe anyway.

'50 Chevy pickup

100_2831.jpg

'54 Chevy Pickup

100_2829.jpg

Personally I like the '50 grill, I think it is a touch classier than the '54. Chromed the '54 grill would look good to me. I also know that these grills came painted white from the factory too.

BTW - the '50 was done by a 19-year old and his dad. We met them the first night of the show. So that helped geek the boy up in the first place.

With Chev trucks the grill is unchanged from 48-53, as are the fenders doors and box, in 54 they got the 55-66 style box that has a flat top edge VS the tapered edge in previous years. To identify years is easy on these too, 48 has a vent door on the passenger side of the cowl, all other years have louvers, till 49 they had twist door handle, 50 and new has pushbutton, 48-49 has one piece side glass, the rest have a vent window, 48-53 has a 2 piece flat glass windshield, 54 is 1 piece curved. There are no differences at all between a Chev and a GMC other then the grills, tailgates and some trim.

Here is what a '50 Dodge pickup looks like. I saw this at a car show in September. The one that is near our house does not even look half as a good as this truck does. As you can see, a '50 Dodge pickup leaves a lot to be desired compared to a Chevy or Ford of the day. Still if has the classic running boards and rounded rear fenders.

100_2714.jpg

Having owned all 3 of the big 3 in this year range and currently still having 3 52 Dodges (other then the grill and dash they are the same as the 50) I don;t really understand what people have against the Dodges, they rust less, they are tough as nails, and they are bigger inside then the Ford and Chev, so if you like havibng passengers or are a big guy like me they are nice. Also parts are cheap!

As I said, it is pure looks for me. The Chevys for sure have a classier looking grill. I have o complaint about parts or reliability for Dodges since I have no experience with them.