Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

New ride

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always loved the silver goats.

Only 1 problem wrong with it.

No manual trans haha.

That's okay, mines not either.. Husband couldn't find a manual..

It's a loss in fun driving.

Thanks! Yea I was sick of std trans cars (have 2), needed something I could take out on a nice night/dates/first impressions/etc. "Busted as FORD" on the hood of a beat up turbo accord, or a shitbag ground bound civic don't really help in that category lol.

auto faster than stick???? no wayyyyyyy

Yup its true Todays autos are faster than sticks, computers can shift better than we can.

LOL,

Since when is auto faster?

If you know how to drive a man.

auto faster than stick???? no wayyyyyyy

I pray that neither of you are serious. this is of course talking straight line performance. in no way are autos made for an auto X course. 1/4 mile on the other hand, auto wins.

stick:clutch out, gas in (end gear), gas out, clutch in, shift with your human arm, clutch out, gas in

auto: gas to the mofo floor and computer shifts in milliseconds and also NEVER misses a shift.

no such thing as "ah shit i missed 3rd" with an auto.

I pray that neither of you are serious. this is of course talking straight line performance. in no way are autos made for an auto X course. 1/4 mile on the other hand, auto wins.

stick:clutch out, gas in (end gear), gas out, clutch in, shift with your human arm, clutch out, gas in

auto: gas to the mofo floor and computer shifts in milliseconds and also NEVER misses a shift.

autos also usually put down less power. coming from sport compacts.. the standards always had faster times than the autos.

autos also usually put down less power. coming from sport compacts.. the standards always had faster times than the autos.

less power on a dyno yes. who cares what it puts down on a dyno if you are losing races. auto GTO's are faster at a strip i promise you. look at all the top times on ls1gto. if someone gets into the tens with a stick they are doing helacious work. not to mention there is less wheel hop in an auto gto.

with the exception of STOCK, look at who is ahead in this....

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpost.php?...amp;postcount=4

see this thread for all info

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268849

• Founders

Auto's are more consistent and computers that are shifting them are getting way more accurate and faster. Like Crimson said with an auto you'll never miss a gear, well if your transmission is working right.

Manuals have way too many variables working against the car in the human factor. A human will not shift consistently even if they try to, you may get 2 out of 10 shifts the same that's 20%, where the computer will get 99.9% of them the same.

Manuals do have advantages like getting into higher gears faster to save gas when your DD'ing, getting off the line A LITTLE faster, etc... A lot of those autos are getting better and better at those though.

Manuals are 100% more fun I do agree but when you look at the stats autos are more efficient these days and pretty soon will be incredible, I just hope they still make manuals...

If you have a manual transmission you have more torque per gear, you don't lose as much power through the drive train as you do with an automatic.

What you just said up there doesn't support your theory of an auto being faster then a trans it supports an auto trans driver being faster then a person with a manual transmisson driver that can't shift worth shit.

Why do you think most people that race their cars are stick?

They are cocky enough to think they can shift exactly right, or they can actually shift exactly right. Because Mans is faster.

Not including anything about the driver. People who race cars with an auto trans is because they don't know how to drive stick at all, properly or couldn't find a manual in the car they wanted.

Auto's are more consistent and computers that are shifting them are getting way more accurate and faster. Like Crimson said with an auto you'll never miss a gear, well if your transmission is working right.

Manuals have way too many variables working against the car in the human factor. A human will not shift consistently even if they try to, you may get 2 out of 10 shifts the same that's 20%, where the computer will get 99.9% of them the same.

Manuals do have advantages like getting into higher gears faster to save gas when your DD'ing, getting off the line A LITTLE faster, etc... A lot of those autos are getting better and better at those though.

Manuals are 100% more fun I do agree but when you look at the stats autos are more efficient these days and pretty soon will be incredible, I just hope they still make manuals...

Like I stated in my last post.

Facts that a manual transmission is faster.

You all are talking about HUMAN error. Not the actual transmission.

You all need to learn to shift and meet some real drivers. If your shifting right you're never going to miss 3rd gear.

Anyone want some lessons? Haha.

lol interesting post... i consider myself a pretty good driver. this car is just not like my other ones. with clutch and a short throw in my other car i never had any missed gear issues. with this one. 3rd feels like im hitting a wall. but im told its a clutch/shifter issue. i ordered the parts to take care of it. so ill soon see how my car really does...

• Founders

If you have a manual transmission you have more torque per gear, you don't lose as much power through the drive train as you do with an automatic.

What you just said up there doesn't support your theory of an auto being faster then a trans it supports an auto trans driver being faster then a person with a manual transmisson driver that can't shift worth shit.

Why do you think most people that race their cars are stick?

They are cocky enough to think they can shift exactly right, or they can actually shift exactly right. Because Mans is faster.

Not including anything about the driver. People who race cars with an auto trans is because they don't know how to drive stick at all, properly or couldn't find a manual in the car they wanted.

Like I stated in my last post.

Facts that a manual transmission is faster.

You all are talking about HUMAN error. Not the actual transmission.

You all need to learn to shift and meet some real drivers. If your shifting right you're never going to miss 3rd gear.

Anyone want some lessons? Haha.

I don't want to turn this into a debate but I guarantee a computer shifts more accurately than a pro race car driver. Thing is when you are dealing with a manual transmission you're dealing with human error because the analysis we are looking at is a computer vs. a human. Human reaction time will never beat that of a computer.

Time yourself next time your using a manual and see if you hit exactly the same speed at exactly the same time and exactly each shift because the computer will :P

Race car drivers use manual cars because you have more control over the car. Dropping gears and getting higher RPMs is also a quicker advantage on manual.

If you look around you will find that a lot of people with classics building a strictly 1/4 mile car will use a TH400, because its easy to build up, and its to hard to shift precisely every time when you need to be to win races.

When comparing manual to auto you have to take it as not just auto versus manual, but auto versus human because thats what it really is. Its not like CVT versus auto because both of those do all the work.

And a TH400 only has 3 gears plus overdrive where most sticks have 4 or 5 gears plus overdrive. On a strip you want very few gears with really tall gearing so that right at the end of the strip you are at the very top of your last gear. In a stick thats a lot of shifting.

• 4 weeks later...

cool. gonna paint them or use them as is?

Just as is for right now, black chrome might be cool. This year I just want to get it together, next year will be little finesse' & such. By summer I want to have my lip made, install my exh, buy & install King HHD springs, detroit locker, wet nitrous kit, & tune........hopefully lol.

im curious to what those wheels will look like, but i like them.

nice pickup on the exhaust and nitrous as well.

you will love the pacesetter lt's. the sound is amazing. haven't really been able to punch it yet, cuz im still breaking in my clutch.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to grinding out the centers of the wheels, found some Coopers that will work, and mounted em up. A little different I guess....

196384_10150215467955730_511885729_8903839_6879739_n.jpg