Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

'61 Bonneville seat belts?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Bonne61 - are you looking for stock, original / OER replacement seat belts that are period correct?

Or are you looking for like a more modern seat belt/chest belt (3-point) belt?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

Bonne61 - are you looking for stock, original / OER replacement seat belts that are period correct?

Or are you looking for like a more modern seat belt/chest belt (3-point) belt?

Hey Frosty,

For the sake of safety a 3 point belt would be great, however I don't see that being viable because the car is pillarless? Also, these probably wouldn't really suit the car.

So...a set of colour coded (burgundy) lap belts for all six seats (complete with chrome not plastic buckles) would probably be a better fit, especially as the interior is completely original.

• Like 2

I know this place isn't local to you but I justa bought a set of seat belts for another car I'm working on. Was pretty impressed with the quality and pretty good prices. I can snap picks of mine if you would like.

www.retrobelt.com

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrongway said:

I know this place isn't local to you but I justa bought a set of seat belts for another car I'm working on. Was pretty impressed with the quality and pretty good prices. I can snap picks of mine if you would like.

www.retrobelt.com

Hey Wrongway,

The product looks good, but I have some reservations with regards to compliance, given these would come without Australian certification? Would you happen to have any knowledge of these being used in Australia?

I might get in touch with the company & ask.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I honestly couldn't say Paul. I sometimes forget about all of the rules and regulation that y'all have to follow over there. If you do find out keep us posted. I would be interested to know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrongway said:

I honestly couldn't say Paul. I sometimes forget about all of the rules and regulation that y'all have to follow over there. If you do find out keep us posted. I would be interested to know.

That I will mate, thanks for the info😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Thanks Frosty👍

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Wrongway said:

www.retrobelt.com

May not be ozzy compliant mate …

wheres fitzy when ya need him :rofl:Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I just saw this. My 65 GP has the original factory floor mounted retractor belts, with the chrome buckle ends attached to the transmission hump. Now, I may have been lucky. My safety certificate provider wasn't sure on the rules regarding old cars and my belts passed. They are factory fitted and so are deemed safe. When I got the car, they (along with the rest of the car) were a mess. I dismantled them as far as I could go and cleaned them up. For a laugh, I sat in the driver's seat with the lap belt fastened and in slow motion followed the trajectory of what might happen in a collision. Death was the conclusion. Those lap belts will stop you being thrown around but you are going to die from massive concussion as your torso slams into the steering wheel and dash. Have I cheered you up?

Once upon a time, old cars had to be modified to fit seat belts but that's no longer the case. Personally, I would source a set of matching original belts. I find that I drive far more carefully with just a lap belt, too!

For our American viewers, Australia has always been tough on wearing seatbelts. It was made mandatory decades ago and for us, it's an automatic reaction to enter a car and find the seat belt. I find travelling in a car without one just feels unsafe and they are a proven technology.

Did you have to change the headlights to RHD ones, so that the beams are biased to the left rather than the right? I did.

14 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I just saw this. My 65 GP has the original factory floor mounted retractor belts, with the chrome buckle ends attached to the transmission hump. Now, I may have been lucky. My safety certificate provider wasn't sure on the rules regarding old cars and my belts passed. They are factory fitted and so are deemed safe. When I got the car, they (along with the rest of the car) were a mess. I dismantled them as far as I could go and cleaned them up. For a laugh, I sat in the driver's seat with the lap belt fastened and in slow motion followed the trajectory of what might happen in a collision. Death was the conclusion. Those lap belts will stop you being thrown around but you are going to die from massive concussion as your torso slams into the steering wheel and dash. Have I cheered you up?

Once upon a time, old cars had to be modified to fit seat belts but that's no longer the case. Personally, I would source a set of matching original belts. I find that I drive far more carefully with just a lap belt, too!

For our American viewers, Australia has always been tough on wearing seatbelts. It was made mandatory decades ago and for us, it's an automatic reaction to enter a car and find the seat belt. I find travelling in a car without one just feels unsafe and they are a proven technology.

Did you have to change the headlights to RHD ones, so that the beams are biased to the left rather than the right? I did.

Yep you're right, whatever the car is fitted with should be fine, providing they are in good condition.

And also yes, the 2 probable outcomes from a severe frontal collision when wearing lap belts only are severe head trauma and spinal injury. However, they're perhaps somewhat better outcomes than none at all under the same circumstances. 

Some would say I'm lucky that I don't need seat belts at all, which means my choices are greater. Whereas if you needed to replace yours, they would most likely have to be with the current ADR compliant ones.

So atm I'm not sure what I'll do...

As for the headlights, they aren't great but given the thing has spent more time off the road than on since I bought it 8 months ago, they're not yet on my radar. I'd planned to replace them with better units, but haven't really gone any further with it.

• Like 2

Yeah, as far as headlights go I will NEVER drive my car at night - too many critters up here. I asked the question because it was something I never expected - LHD cars need LHD headlights. I'm curious if your inspection mechanic insisted on the same modification.

• Like 2

So I bought a brand new hellcat . It was shipped to nz . They adjusted the head lights for left side of the road . And they are perfect !

my 1995 Ram . Came off a ship from California and I adjusted the head lights and they too complied . Not sure why they had you change yours . I haven’t changed the 64 either . And they are fine . Very odd 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1