Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

'61 Bonneville seat belts?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Yes, I'd like to know what he says. That's the thing with laws & regulations: unless they're written in legalese the interpretation can be ambiguous. I can see both sides on this one: an adjustment should be able to take care of it but it's that specific cutoff point in the upper portion of the beam that is critical. It probably depends on the sort of light too: old sealed beams, projectors, halogen, LEDs and so on.

I see the other pussies are just gonna sit back and watch the ensuing bloodbath. Come on, softies - have a go!

• Haha 2

Everybody pokes fun, but you only seem to get pissed at me.  Here's your chance to spread the wealth and make somebody else's day.  I'm stickin with Alien modules!!!!   Try popin a couple Reeses pieces N phone home when ya can ET.

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Yes, I'd like to know what he says. That's the thing with laws & regulations: unless they're written in legalese the interpretation can be ambiguous. I can see both sides on this one: an adjustment should be able to take care of it but it's that specific cutoff point in the upper portion of the beam that is critical. It probably depends on the sort of light too: old sealed beams, projectors, halogen, LEDs and so on.

I see the other pussies are just gonna sit back and watch the ensuing bloodbath. Come on, softies - have a go!

I remember when the guy inspected the Ram .. he checked the lights had the right markings in them . And that was it … then it went for its warrant of fitness and they just ran that high/low beam machine past them and that was it !! Hahaha 

interesting how each inspector has their own take on the laws !!

my mate is building a 59 nomad wagon and they have pulled him up in using global west suspension !!!

the whole lot has to come out as it’s not approved for use in nz !!! Bloody crazy ..

he is going to be out of pocket for over 10k !! 

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Everybody pokes fun, but you only seem to get pissed at me.  Here's your chance to spread the wealth and make somebody else's day.  I'm stickin with Alien modules!!!!   Try popin a couple Reeses pieces N phone home when ya can ET.

I don't understand any of this. Pissed at you? Alien modules? Reese's pieces???

Anyway, to Kiwi wow so he had to replace 10k worth of suspension - that'd really hurt. I'm going to guess that the suspension he used is far superior to anything the old Nomad came out of the factory with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

I don't understand any of this. Pissed at you? Alien modules? Reese's pieces???

Anyway, to Kiwi wow so he had to replace 10k worth of suspension - that'd really hurt. I'm going to guess that the suspension he used is far superior to anything the old Nomad came out of the factory with.

Yeah . Toy shed in Rotorua fitted all this stuff and now the certifier is saying it’s not legal … I told my mate Colin to justA put the stock Chevy A arms back in …. Kiss !

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/9/2023 at 6:13 PM, Bonne61 said:

Hi all, thanks for all the help /advice.

For the Australians on here, I'll provide a bit of an update to hopefully save another some research time.

Firstly (and I'm happy to be proven wrong here) I have been told that you are unable to purchase new belts that are Australian (ADR) complied, and are fitted with chrome buckles. So black plastic with red buttons it is, if you want/need to fit ADR compliant belts.

However, if your car does not require seat belts by law (and you, like me want to fit belts from purely a safety perspective ie: you don't need them for insurance purposes), there is another path...

You can purchase good quality (NOT Chinese rubbish), American-legal seatbelts that do have chrome buckles (can't remember the US compliance equivalent). To quantify-they are well made, safe, ARE compliant to a US safety code, and are routinely fitted to many thousands of US vehicles without issue.

Effectively you can have period correct seat belts fitted to your car, that WILL provide you with a considerable level of accident protection (certainly better than having no belts fitted). But you obviously WILL NOT be able to rely on any LEGAL protection in the event of an accident, from an insurance perspective.

Please understand, I am not recommending you take this route - I am merely passing on information that I have been provided (as it happens from an Australian manufacturer, whose identity I am obviously not going to reveal).

Feedback from the following companies whom I contacted below:-

1. APV-S - no coloured webbing, no chrome buckles

2. Autolux - only do re-webbing of existing belts

3. Hemco - No coloured webbing, no chrome buckles

4. Restraint Technology - some colours available, no chrome buckles

Hey there,

Back on the seat belt topic, is there any one of you that can give me the correct positions to drill the mounting holes for my seat belts?

I've purchased a set of 6x 2 point belts from Morris Classic Concepts in the US (the company are fantastic to deal with by the way, & make a great product!), but would like to know exactly where to drill.

image.png.4375713495607582e6aa51b636da8271.png

• Like 1

Here you go Paul, this is the link to the new zealand requirements for seat belt ancorage

page 21 shows the correct area to mount them, but please take note of the required mounting plates and their orintation :cheers:

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Seatbelts_& Seatbelt_Anchorages.pdf

you should be able to buy these plates, the last set i needed i justA made, super easy to make. the above pdf also details the exact requirements for those plates, size, and grade 8.8 bolts etc

2 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Here you go Paul, this is the link to the new zealand requirements for seat belt ancorage

page 21 shows the correct area to mount them, but please take note of the required mounting plates and their orintation :cheers:

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Seatbelts_& Seatbelt_Anchorages.pdf

you should be able to buy these plates, the last set i needed i justA made, super easy to make. the above pdf also details the exact requirements for those plates, size, and grade 8.8 bolts etc

Thank you😃

A mate of mine has a spare set of the plates already made up, so once I know the correct hole locations I should be good to go.

• Like 1