Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

The09GXP's 08 G6 GT

Well my fiance wasn't happy with the GXP tips so I went out today and bought her the same tip that I have on the GXP except for 3.5" instead of 4" like I have on my GXP. She can be so picky sometimes.....

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New purchase for the GT, It was due for replacement so I figured why not upgrade.

4RP.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Drilled-Slo...sQ5fAccessories

Just a heads up with D/S rotors from personal experience:

Use a high quality semi-metallic with these. Ceramics are just too hard, and since you cannot resurface these rotors, doing a pad slap with ceramics pretty much screws up the rotor and braking feel altogether.

Best pads to go with: Hawk and EBC.

Well some goodies arrived today.

The inspector checking things out

IMG_3578.jpg

this is what she was looking at.

IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

IMG_3577.jpg

Rotors and pads are both made by powerstop. All my research over the interwebs has had nothing be great reviews for them.

Rotors and pads are both made by powerstop. All my research over the interwebs has had nothing be great reviews for them.

The feedback you don't see is what ceramics do to D/S rotors.

Ceramic pads have a very, very hard compound. Sure, they last longer, and throw less dust, but they're very harsh on rotors. To boot, brake fade is more prone with ceramics as well, since they don't like to dissipate heat very well.

When you need a new set of pads, you might as well trash the current rotors, since they cannot be resurfaced. I've found out the hard way, you DON'T want to pad slap D/S rotors with ceramics. Because the ceramic compound is so hard, the groves left by the old pads create heat pockets. And the ceramics won't "mold" to the existing grooves like a semi-metallic or organic pad will, thus giving you a terrible pedal feel, and brake fade is 50% more prone on normal driving situations.

Do what you want, but that's just some food for thought from my own bad experience from using a D/S rotor and ceramic combo.

I will pull everything back apart in the spring and repaint. I found while changing the pads that the passenger side caliper has a torn dust boot for the piston in the caliper so that needs to be replaced. I was under the assumption that the rotors are zinc coated, but if they start to rust some spring time i'll throw some paint on them to clean them up.

Also just to add this was bought as a kit before you even said anything about what compound brakes to use. The whole setup was under $200 so it's not too bad on the wallet.

Also just to add this was bought as a kit before you even said anything about what compound brakes to use. The whole setup was under $200 so it's not too bad on the wallet.

That's not too bad at all. I just don't want you to deal with the BS I dealt with, that's all.

• 1 month later...

Wheels installed, but 2 were damaged mounting tires, and 1 tpms was broken by the GM dealer. I am not too happy right now........

GTwithwheelson.jpg