Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

69 Firebird Convertible build

My 69 Firebird. One of the few 350 HO convertibles. Original Carousel Red, 4 speed car. Had it for 2 or 3 years and been building/rebuilding ever since. Power drivers seat, fold down rear, front discs, tilt. Had the stereo/ 8 track but that’s all long gone.

8C50211E-73A0-4526-9C21-A12E8DB8555A.jpeg

5AEB790E-EFA2-4AD8-ABD5-B862DFE9F6B7.jpeg

2FE93B3A-4B5E-4796-96D3-E7889C9E6EDB.jpeg

7C65EB2F-D629-4FE5-8184-DBA0F504CDE9.jpeg

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Ringo64 said:

Nice. What are the plans for it?

Going to try to bring it back to more or less what it was new. Car came from previous owner with the 400 hood and 400 engine. It’s going to be a driver so I’m not super concerned about originality. Just want it to look factory-like so just running steelies, dog dish caps and red lines.

D22B9F00-B2ED-44D4-B88D-A76F1E86A0DA.jpeg

39E238E2-A65A-4C6A-8CA1-12E1DE7A842C.jpeg

2196ED1A-7A33-4573-8B5D-26737687BF54.jpeg

4B461FC6-2639-42A0-B86E-7A57DB34F77C.jpeg

Edited by Lidpainter
  • Like 2

Nice👍 Looks like you’re making honest progress...unlike my ‘65 Goat, (she’s been sitting at 85% complete for 5 years now) 🥺🥵😤

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lidpainter said:

4A3FFF9D-22F0-43D2-91D9-8A539028016C.jpeg

59BF8DA5-36CD-405A-839C-0E1783EC707C.jpeg

BC571A72-EDBE-41A8-8512-A33D36BFCAFB.jpeg

E5EB56BD-DB23-4DC7-9A27-85D9DBF7EE4F.jpeg

EFC523F2-28BE-49DB-BF02-597B0B3DE4A4.jpeg

1804D832-E03B-4D2A-A8A2-91DBD2667B52.jpeg

9F55C928-3744-4B5F-A93A-E5CFAAA8D507.jpeg

992FBBF9-40F6-4D00-8C53-57C9A3BC22C6.jpeg

98386F7F-3261-4332-8036-226E91DA26C8.jpeg

Welcome John, :welcomeFP:you have done a great job, keep up the pictures and let us all know what your thoughts are on the next stage:cheers:

Clearly your way past paint and on the assembly, part of the build, but whats the back story, why did you have to add metal to the door edge? :dancingpontiac:

• Like 1

Welcome John. Your car looks great. Keep up the good work.

I see you're from Michigan. Several of us here on FP are as well. What side of the state are you on? West? East? SE Michigan/Detroit Metro? Da Yoop?

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Welcome John. Your car looks great. Keep up the good work.

I see you're from Michigan. Several of us here on FP are as well. What side of the state are you on? West? East? SE Michigan/Detroit Metro? Da Yoop?

Thank you. I am way down in the southeast corner near Toledo. 

• Like 1

So I would guess we are talking Adrian, Blissfield, Dundee, Erie, Temperance, Monroe area then?

That's cool. I live up near Flint. Indymanjoe is near Milford, and JustA6 lives in Clarkston. When he can get across the border, notallthere, lives in Sarnia Ontario.

When its not COVID outside, there are three SE Michigan Pontiac-Buick-GMC car shows held between June and September. We try to get together at those at a minimum, and then there's the Woodward Dream Cruise in August. We'd love to meet you at one or all of these events in the future.

• Like 2

I’m in temperance. I usually just say southeast corner of the state because when I say Temperance, the usual response is “Where’s that?”. 

• Haha 1

I understand completely. You are pretty much on top of Ohio at that point.

I've driven the US-23/I-75 corridors enough to know where Temperance and Lambertville are - between US23/223 and US24/Telegraph Road. Can't say I know my way around, but I've I do know where it is.

Again, welcome aboard.

7 hours ago, indymanjoe said:

Welcome to the site! You sure make it look easy! Any car shows you go to down there? I would be happy to head down with the Lemans this summer and meet up.

He is looking for todays gaps on an old car. First thing i noticed was how nice and even they are.

Yes. I’m trying to gap all the panels at 3/8” all around. The peak at the front/center of the doors have made that a challenge. I was able to get the gap I wanted at the rear of the driver’s door with a lot of trial and error adjustments but the rear of the passenger door required that I add 1/8” to the edge. Not every gap on the car will be perfect but I’m making an effort. You could probably walk through some of the gaps when I got the car. 😀

Edited by Lidpainter
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Nothin better than new parts N gettin them on.  Thankz for sharing the pic's.   We need more of this round here!  Dream Cruise this year?

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Looking good Lidpainter. What's next?

Thanks. I need to loosen up everything around the rad support and bumper assembly to align everything properly.  Then, sadly, I may have to repaint the hood. There used to be hood pins in it and the paint is bubbling where the welds are. Can’t be from rust so I’m thinking that it’s some kind of reaction to the weld but I’ve never seen that happen before. I’ll wait until spring to deal with it. I still have the seats to reupholster and also need to get it running. Everything other than the panel alignment will probably happen in spring of ‘22.

• Like 2

Could the bubbling of the hood be caused from electrolysis from dissimilar metals between the hood and the weld material (e.g. aluminum against steel)?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Could the bubbling of the hood be caused from electrolysis from dissimilar metals between the hood and the weld material (e.g. aluminum against steel)?

It’s the same wire and metal I have always used to patch with. It’s some kind of reaction but I’m stumped as to what is going on.

• Like 1

Thanks. I’ll investigate that when I get home. I used to same wire, from the same spool to weld up the door gaps and did not get any reaction there. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lidpainter said:

Thanks. I’ll investigate that when I get home. I used to same wire, from the same spool to weld up the door gaps and did not get any reaction there. 

lidpainter, did you use  a mig? gas or flux core wire ?

and once welded, did you grind the weld or buff it with a wire wheel ?

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1