Jump to content
Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Keane165's 1970 LeMans

2022 June
of the Month

  • Welcome!

    Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Trunk spatter paint


Recommended Posts

There's a lot of discussion regarding trunk spatter paint. Because it contains both water & oil based components (hence the spatter effect) it can 'run' if you don't clearcoat it. 

Anyone got a story on how they did theirs? It's a great look when done properly but I'm going to look for alternatives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I was told that the water based splatter paint was the cause of the trunk floors rotting out🙄

 Not sure if thats True but it came from my mate who sold me the spare 64 chassis and i have a whole 64 Catalina trunk floor in mint condition sitting in the spare car .

 he claimed these rust free floors are hard to find🙄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did clear coat my trunk when I re-did the spatter paint in Lucy. It was part of a two-step paint system. I think the other reason to do it is the clear coat smooths out some of the trunk spatter's natural roughness - it clearly didn't eliminate 100% of it, but I'm okay with that.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As usual, I'm going to go my own way and try something different. I have some ideas and shall post any success stories,  but shall also regale you with horror fails!

A spray painter mate told me that if you use car paint with a spray gun without thinning it at all, it'll naturally spray erratically-homemade spatter! I think he needs to lay off the gear. I'll try my own way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

As usual, I'm going to go my own way and try something different. I have some ideas and shall post any success stories,  but shall also regale you with horror fails!

A spray painter mate told me that if you use car paint with a spray gun without thinning it at all, it'll naturally spray erratically-homemade spatter! I think he needs to lay off the gear. I'll try my own way.

You could just fill a paper bag full of paint, blow it up and pop it.:rofl: That would spatter! Just kidding mate!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

image.thumb.png.446ba9332d3a4ae79b48f282648f5007.png

Fitzy you can always try the hammer-to-the-spray-can technique. Of course, the real trick is getting the spatter just right. You might need more than one can! :rofl:

Edited by Frosty
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

 

image.thumb.png.446ba9332d3a4ae79b48f282648f5007.png

Fitzy you can always try the hammer-to-the-spray-can technique. Of course, the real trick is getting the spatter just right. You might need more than one can! :rofl:

Yeah Fitzy!!! get a kid to paint it !!!Hahaha:rofl:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not exactly sure what the "spatter paint" look is. Surely it cant be what I'm picturing lol. Could one of yall post a pic so I can better understand? 

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is the splatter paint on my spare trunk floor wrong way 

9FF42CEC-905B-445A-B324-2E27BCF888C3.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmmm, thanks Kiwi. After Fitzy telling us what his buddy said about running paint thru a paint gun with no thinner I was curious to see what it "should" look like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hear ya Fitzy. I've painted 6 or 7 cars for sure and least a dozen motorcycles for people not counting my own over the years. I love metal flake and candies. The bigger the flake the more excited I get lol.  My mail box was even blue flake until a distracted mailman ran it over. Its now blue with white roses (shot over lace) for my wife. So I'm always interested to hear and see other ways of doing things. I heard about really interesting "new" technique a few months back, you can laugh (i did) but its totally true! Has anybody heard of DNA painting or DNA marking a paint?

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DNA..... hand painting with a Qtip swabbed off your cheek?  Think they call that a Covid test bro.....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

:rofl: I seriously just laughed out loud bro! But no, and it is a real thing apparently! I 1st heard of it at a friends body shop a few months ago. They were having a conversation about putting a guys DNA into his paint! I laughed and called BS! So I was told that you can do it with any color and not affect the shade of the color because your putting such a small amount in. You can use ANY type of liquid that contains DNA. For example, a basic Chrysler white, you can put a drop or a couple of drops of blood or sweat (were sticking with those lol) into a gallon of paint. Its such a small amount that it will not tint then paint. Buts it IS enough to confuse a paint sniffer if anybody ever tries to repaint it. I was told the it gives a "truly one of a kind paint job"! The 2nd time I heard about it, I had a guy come by one day. He said that my buddy didn't have time to paint his car and sent him over. My buddy had painted his bike a few months ago and told me he would NEVER do anymore work for this guy. He has a really nice 55' and wants it shot in single stage black with a DNA code. WTF!? He was dead serious and willing to pay extra for it. I did not take the 55' job. I just had to much going on at the time and after my buddy telling me the ghost flame story on this guys bike I wasn't willing to take a chance on this guy being a total flake. lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wrongway said:

:rofl: I seriously just laughed out loud bro! But no, and it is a real thing apparently! I 1st heard of it at a friends body shop a few months ago. They were having a conversation about putting a guys DNA into his paint! I laughed and called BS! So I was told that you can do it with any color and not affect the shade of the color because your putting such a small amount in. You can use ANY type of liquid that contains DNA. For example, a basic Chrysler white, you can put a drop or a couple of drops of blood or sweat (were sticking with those lol) into a gallon of paint. Its such a small amount that it will not tint then paint. Buts it IS enough to confuse a paint sniffer if anybody ever tries to repaint it. I was told the it gives a "truly one of a kind paint job"! The 2nd time I heard about it, I had a guy come by one day. He said that my buddy didn't have time to paint his car and sent him over. My buddy had painted his bike a few months ago and told me he would NEVER do anymore work for this guy. He has a really nice 55' and wants it shot in single stage black with a DNA code. WTF!? He was dead serious and willing to pay extra for it. I did not take the 55' job. I just had to much going on at the time and after my buddy telling me the ghost flame story on this guys bike I wasn't willing to take a chance on this guy being a total flake. lol

You are a wise man.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

Tired of these Ads? Purchase Enhanced Membership today to remove them!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.