Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Trunk spatter paint

There's a lot of discussion regarding trunk spatter paint. Because it contains both water & oil based components (hence the spatter effect) it can 'run' if you don't clearcoat it. 

Anyone got a story on how they did theirs? It's a great look when done properly but I'm going to look for alternatives.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I was told that the water based splatter paint was the cause of the trunk floors rotting out🙄

Not sure if thats True but it came from my mate who sold me the spare 64 chassis and i have a whole 64 Catalina trunk floor in mint condition sitting in the spare car .

he claimed these rust free floors are hard to find🙄

• Like 1

I did clear coat my trunk when I re-did the spatter paint in Lucy. It was part of a two-step paint system. I think the other reason to do it is the clear coat smooths out some of the trunk spatter's natural roughness - it clearly didn't eliminate 100% of it, but I'm okay with that.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

As usual, I'm going to go my own way and try something different. I have some ideas and shall post any success stories,  but shall also regale you with horror fails!

A spray painter mate told me that if you use car paint with a spray gun without thinning it at all, it'll naturally spray erratically-homemade spatter! I think he needs to lay off the gear. I'll try my own way.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

As usual, I'm going to go my own way and try something different. I have some ideas and shall post any success stories,  but shall also regale you with horror fails!

A spray painter mate told me that if you use car paint with a spray gun without thinning it at all, it'll naturally spray erratically-homemade spatter! I think he needs to lay off the gear. I'll try my own way.

You could just fill a paper bag full of paint, blow it up and pop it.:rofl: That would spatter! Just kidding mate!

• Haha 2

image.thumb.png.446ba9332d3a4ae79b48f282648f5007.png

Fitzy you can always try the hammer-to-the-spray-can technique. Of course, the real trick is getting the spatter just right. You might need more than one can! :rofl:

Edited by Frosty
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

image.thumb.png.446ba9332d3a4ae79b48f282648f5007.png

Fitzy you can always try the hammer-to-the-spray-can technique. Of course, the real trick is getting the spatter just right. You might need more than one can! :rofl:

Yeah Fitzy!!! get a kid to paint it !!!Hahaha:rofl:

• Haha 1

I hear ya Fitzy. I've painted 6 or 7 cars for sure and least a dozen motorcycles for people not counting my own over the years. I love metal flake and candies. The bigger the flake the more excited I get lol.  My mail box was even blue flake until a distracted mailman ran it over. Its now blue with white roses (shot over lace) for my wife. So I'm always interested to hear and see other ways of doing things. I heard about really interesting "new" technique a few months back, you can laugh (i did) but its totally true! Has anybody heard of DNA painting or DNA marking a paint?

• Confused 1

:rofl: I seriously just laughed out loud bro! But no, and it is a real thing apparently! I 1st heard of it at a friends body shop a few months ago. They were having a conversation about putting a guys DNA into his paint! I laughed and called BS! So I was told that you can do it with any color and not affect the shade of the color because your putting such a small amount in. You can use ANY type of liquid that contains DNA. For example, a basic Chrysler white, you can put a drop or a couple of drops of blood or sweat (were sticking with those lol) into a gallon of paint. Its such a small amount that it will not tint then paint. Buts it IS enough to confuse a paint sniffer if anybody ever tries to repaint it. I was told the it gives a "truly one of a kind paint job"! The 2nd time I heard about it, I had a guy come by one day. He said that my buddy didn't have time to paint his car and sent him over. My buddy had painted his bike a few months ago and told me he would NEVER do anymore work for this guy. He has a really nice 55' and wants it shot in single stage black with a DNA code. WTF!? He was dead serious and willing to pay extra for it. I did not take the 55' job. I just had to much going on at the time and after my buddy telling me the ghost flame story on this guys bike I wasn't willing to take a chance on this guy being a total flake. lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wrongway said:

:rofl: I seriously just laughed out loud bro! But no, and it is a real thing apparently! I 1st heard of it at a friends body shop a few months ago. They were having a conversation about putting a guys DNA into his paint! I laughed and called BS! So I was told that you can do it with any color and not affect the shade of the color because your putting such a small amount in. You can use ANY type of liquid that contains DNA. For example, a basic Chrysler white, you can put a drop or a couple of drops of blood or sweat (were sticking with those lol) into a gallon of paint. Its such a small amount that it will not tint then paint. Buts it IS enough to confuse a paint sniffer if anybody ever tries to repaint it. I was told the it gives a "truly one of a kind paint job"! The 2nd time I heard about it, I had a guy come by one day. He said that my buddy didn't have time to paint his car and sent him over. My buddy had painted his bike a few months ago and told me he would NEVER do anymore work for this guy. He has a really nice 55' and wants it shot in single stage black with a DNA code. WTF!? He was dead serious and willing to pay extra for it. I did not take the 55' job. I just had to much going on at the time and after my buddy telling me the ghost flame story on this guys bike I wasn't willing to take a chance on this guy being a total flake. lol

You are a wise man.

• Like 1