Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 bonneville rebuild

6 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Β 

lots of boxes ticked.... oh look it’s. Β  Β beer-o-clock:cheers:Β 

Yeah - Beer!

• Haha 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

:cheers:Β mateΒ 

i calledΒ all around town no one has any so I ordered it and have 2 cans coming for tomorrow which should work in good. Considering how its going is today , every bolt I touch Seams to be a pain in the butt !

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

The freshly painted front stub axles and 8 lugger drums went on the new frame this morning ,,, looked great till I saw the  difference in the steering arms 😑😑😑😑

8B6B572C-8556-4AA2-B525-17FC3E599D3E.jpeg

97DA7ECE-896A-44DA-BB1F-747334C8BFAA.jpeg

6524C7C0-4FCE-4304-8DA8-07C767B151B7.jpeg

Β 

But that’s to be expected πŸ™„

The passenger side arm is bent, and I will need to replace it !!! πŸ™„

you cant tell until you bolt it up and that’s where I saw the differance Β Β Β 

anyone got a spare 63/64 wide body passenger side steering armΒ πŸ™ƒ

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

On the passenger side there is this exhaust choke,,, does anyone know why Β a Pontiac needs a exhaust chock on one side ????Β 

ADE98A1F-B4DE-4A81-A73A-9668464F4559.jpeg

This is pretty much a summery of today’s work , it was a long day , messy as f-CkΒ 

and felt like I got bugger allΒ Β doneπŸ™ƒ

Β 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

oh i wish i had elves mate!!!Β πŸ™„they could do all the dirty work, cleaning sand blasting paintingΒ 

Β and i could do justA the beer drinking HAHA:cheers:

no elves here anymore, they all flew the coup 😏

day 3 on the chassis replacement and i started by heading down town to get my rattle cans of paint, more sand blasting media and degreaser,

pull the damaged sump off the 389

cleaned, preped straightened, and repaintedΒ 

59D96049-97C4-4CE2-9E45-644363336652.jpeg

F7DD5EC4-2B72-4656-AF9D-CAFB1D02A13A.jpeg

F00E2FCF-AC57-447A-B8A5-2FC32058AB99.jpeg

39714894-9118-4F79-9149-5F0F5D18D8FD.jpeg

Now's the time to plastic gauge and check your bearings.Β  Best chance you will have to replace the oil pump, rear main.Β  How many miles were on the ticker when she was hit?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Yeah GM used the choke thing to help speed up engine heat up! Never liked it, never made any real cense! If it fails on the closed position that’s bad, but most of the time they just rust open! Then in time the cross shaft rusts through the shaft tends to fall out and the butterfly plate drops into the exhaust! If you’re lucky it sits parallel inΒ the exhaust pipe,Β if not, it turns vertical and blocks off the whole exhaust. Long story short, get rid of it! Just drill & tap out the hole on both sides to the next closest size pipe thread and tap it! Get some Stainless Steel pipe plugs and seal them off. Just my two cents!

Thanks Last Indian, that explains why its there, it was frozen half open!!

both bolts to the flange had snapped off, and i am looking to buying the long branch headers from ram air restoration, i have emailed them as i couldnt get the order to work on line.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Now's the time to plastic gauge and check your bearings.Β  Best chance you will have to replace the oil pump, rear main.Β  How many miles were on the ticker when she was hit?

not going to go too far into it JustA, the car has only 86,000 miles on the clock and from everything i have seen, its looks to be true to that reading.

rear main doesn't appear to leak, had a look at the bearings and they look in good shape, bores look clean as from the botttom.Β 

timing chain looks to be a little loose but i am not sure how loose they are supposed to be,Β 

i will check the clearance on the pick up, but wont change the pump at this stage, really not worried if i need to pull the motor in future, it may last for many more happy miles.... not that i will ever do too many miles, and if i did pull it out, i might just make it a way bit bigger😜

• Like 2

Day 4Β 

And what a day!!

home kill guy was here at 6.35am to knock Barney on the head and I was left with some end trails to get rid of. 😜

Then spent the rest of the morning helping my mate remove a four poster hoist from a garage 30 mins out of town ... 🍻he owes me a beer πŸ˜€

Then I got into the next jobs .... sump back on the 389Β 

Engine into the new frameΒ 

with all new mounts πŸ˜€

9D40D034-4BD7-4609-B9D7-D511B24865E7.jpeg

Sorted the big dent in the floor that you saw in the pictures from yesterdayΒ 

36AE8DD5-F6D3-48D4-8FC5-0842AE0BE331.jpeg

• Like 2

way straighterΒ 

and the string line tells the storey 🍻

Β 

F6F2B320-3D20-48BB-AFC1-B8059D52DC5B.jpeg

All thanks to my porta powerΒ 

and 3 fbh.... (fu-king big hammers )Β 

Β 

F817BE7C-2704-4BB2-B7BD-790084DA5FBD.jpeg

0DA3AE2B-BA64-4496-8FCA-1611B93E0AA7.jpeg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wrongway said:

Sounds like your mate owes you at least 2 beersΒ :lol:. Looking good Kiwi. Looks like its coming together nicely.Β 

We have this thing Wrong way, where we go to "church" mostΒ Β Sunday afternoons.... its a pub..Β 

i am sure he will be buying , and he will be buying the steak meal too:rofl:

we have been doing this for the last 18Β  odd years..:cheers:

i am pretty sure we are share holders of the pub now:rofl:

matter of fact we did talk about just buying the place,,, would have been cheaper!!!Β :cheers:

• Haha 2