Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
  • Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Kiwi -- is this what you are looking for?

http://www.headersbyed.com/__pontiac.htm    Headers by "Ed"

image.png.14c8fa9c623763e5af0ce18bd7a7f805.png

• Like 1
7 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

i am having very little luck finding 389 shorty headers that will fit a 64 wide track-non gto pontiac ( mines a Bonneville)

so i am going to build mine from scratch:dancingpontiac:

does anyone have a template for header plates, that they can share with me ?

my plan is if i can get a template, i can take it to my engineer mate with his water lazer, and cut a pair of header plates and i will start from there .👍:cheers:

I’m sure you know this, but JustA in case! Tube configuration and length are pretty critical in headers! So polish up on your math skills! And as a plumber; no pvc, please! :rofl:

Edited by Last Indian
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

looking at JustA chassis again, it looks so similar to my 64 bonnevillle one, so.... would gto headers fit a bonneville??????🙄

justa chassis.jpg

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

Not sure if this helps or not Kiwi. On my 63 GP I used GTO long tube headers. It was a mistake. I should've found something like the ones sir Frosty posted. I did look but couldn't find what I thought might work. So instead I ordered a set of Hedman from summit. (Pre forever Pontiac days lol) Anyways when I went to install them I had severe clearance issues.  I decided to keep them, fit them, run them until I could find/afford something else that would work. So I ended up dimpling or rather putting a small dent in the headers to fit around my steering box. The spacing around the starter is insanely tight and I'm now running a oil filter relocation kit because the bottom of the oil filter was almost touching a header pipe and the oil filter could not be removed without first removing the header. It would have saved me a ton of work and time if I would have went with shorty's or could've found something to work with my set up.

Good luck bro, keep us posted.

• Like 1

thanks too you both for the info, sounds like i am opening a can of worms trying to fit full length headers, :stars:

• Like 1

Nothings touching, now. Just extremely close

Headers drivers side 4.jpg

Headers drivers side 1.jpg

Headers passenger side 1.jpg

Headers passenger side 2.jpg

• Like 1

Oh shit those 2 ports are on top of the steering box!! and that one over your oil filter aint much better!, 

ok, i am flaging the header idea, because your 63 is the same frame/ steering box as my 64  Wrongway:dancingpontiac:

hay great pictures mate👍:cheers:

anyone used the cast headers that Frosty posted ??? two lane ??

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
13 hours ago, Frosty said:

Not likely. The chassis configuration between the full size B-body Bonneville/Catalina and the mid-size A-body Tempest/Lemans/GTO are different. So the location of the steering shaft will be spaced differently. It may work, it may not. I would not chance it though unless it was a hugger/shorty header.

That said, I certain you could run a factory header. Pontiac had a pseudo-factory headers for the H.O./RA IV motors back in the day. Ram Air Restoration Enterprises re-pops these factory headers. I run a set on my Lemans. You can use them with a 2.5" exhaust. They are a little cheaper than the headers from Flowtech too (not including shipping to NZ of course). They look stock and flow way better than the original log style exhaust manifolds.

https://www.ramairrestoration.com/pontiac.html?cat=12

image.png.a17ed5c3651c104d563358e62a8c5a50.png

Frosty, i dont think these will fit a 64 frame,,,, looking at Wrongways headers there isnt much room to that steering box???🙄

image.png.a7f37719d2b307913ac2f75fa4686579.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Looks like to me that some one at Pontiac  fucked up when it came too those 2 middle ports and the steering box location :o

gees if you move the engine back 75 mm it would be no issue.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Looks like to me that some one at Pontiac  fucked up when it came too those 2 middle ports and the steering box location :o

gees if you move the engine back 75 mm it would be no issue.

Move the box forward.  Never seen or noticed a box that far back.

• Like 1

Yeah bro, its not touching anymore but its close. That's after a few hours "fitting".

"Move the box forward"? That's possible?

• Like 1