Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hello New Member Here

I am a new member. My hobby is car restorations and vintage electronics.  To date I have focused on Fords. However, when browsing for a 1964 Tempest I happened on a nicely restored 1964 with a 361 CID engine, baby blue. I have joined the forum to discuss my work on this car. 

Edited by Roadbird
spelling error

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I have not bought it yet!  I am on the forum to find out more about a Tempest 361 CID before I pull the trigger and will be asking questions in the right forums. Just saying hello now.

Regards

Roadbird

• Founders
9 minutes ago, Roadbird said:

Which form should I go to for general questions about this car?

For general questions you can use the Questions and Concerns forum: https://foreverpontiac.com/forum/41-pontiac-questions-and-concerns/

For more specific questions, information, or discussion, we have various specific forums for all areas of a car in the Garage category: https://foreverpontiac.com/forum/12-pontiac-modification-maintenance-and-garage-talk/

The 326 was the standard base v8 motor for the Tempest and Lemans in 1964. Only the Tempest Lemans with the GTO package got the 389 in 1964. Parts for the 326 are readily available for in the aftermarket.

If you don't mind, I'll make some observations.

1. The dash pad/panel has been replaced since it is black and normally is should match the interior. Ditto the steering wheel. Depedning on your taste, you may want to dye them the appropriate color.

2. Someone has upgraded at least the front brakes and perhaps the rear brakes to disc brakes and added the power boaster and a new non-stock master brake cylinder. Good upgrade - definitely a lot safer for a car that big. however, it is clearly not original to the car.

3. Rally II wheels were not standard on the '64. Rally 1s perhaps, but definitely not Rally IIs. I suspect these are there to clear the larger disc rotors on the front and perhaps the rear.

The car looks clean from what I can see. It will make a nice street cruiser.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

Thanks so much for your interest. I owned a 64 Tempest in 1973.  It was used, and when it died on me on the way to work I realized  that I needed a dependable car to go to the very good job I had as an engineer with the telephone company in Tampa. 

It looked just like this one, except it was a hub cap car.

So I sold it for $100.00 which was fair considering the age and condition of the car.  On the back it had an emblem from when it was purchased new, "Boomershine Motors".  Appropriately enough she was named Boomershine.

I really loved Boomershine. Really loved her. But I also used to own a Austin Healy Sprite, so bought a brand new Triump TR-6. They had their problems but were a ton of fun. 

Anyway, I thought about her, Googled, and found this one.  I am really excited now that you told me about the disc brakes. And as long as it looks good, making it original, is not that important, because it is intended to be a street cruiser.

Funny you say: Small change can often be found under seat cushions. I was just talking to a store clerk two days ago about that. When we were kids and hard up for a little change, first stop was under the seat cushions, second stop was to round up all the empty soda bottle and cash them in at the store for 2 cents a piece! 🙂

Again, thanks for your interest.

Roadbird

Gary

• Like 1