Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1931 Pontiac split 6, what do I do with it?

Hey y'all, we bought a 1931 Pontiac 4 door sport sedan last year. We are doing a restomod on it and putting in a 350. I have pulled out the original split 6. But what do I do with it now? Coffee table in man cave, sell it, etc. What would it even be worth and will I regret selling it later.part of me really doesn't want to get rid of it cause it's the original engine. But I know I will never put it back in this car. This was a barn find, car is 4 door with side mount tires and was highest dollar Pontiac in 31. But the cars interior is long gone. Otherwise everything else is in workable condition. So what do I do with this old power plant. Thanks Dan. 

IMG_20170314_074120.jpg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Kind of a catch 22, hate to see it go unused if you're not going to and it's a decent engine. But selling doesn't guarantee that either.

Since your mind is made up to do a restomod on the '31, my opinion/suggestion would be to sell the motor to someone who might be doing an authentic '31 restoration. Let someone restore it who wants to see it run again or has need of the parts. Plus it will bring in some cash to offset the cost of your build.

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Since your mind is made up to do a restomod on the '31, my opinion/suggestion would be to sell the motor to someone who might be doing an authentic '31 restoration. Let someone restore it who wants to see it run again or has need of the parts. Plus it will bring in some cash to offset the cost of your build.

I agree with Frosty.  Sell it.  Rebuilding could get pricey.  Start at $500.  It's only worth what someones willing to pay.

I totally agree with JUSTA on this. It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Even if you end up with $500 for it, it is $500 you have to spend on something else, plus it isn't taking up space in your garage anymore.

I agree too I may only get a couple hundred or I may get 500 it's all about finding the right buyer and how long I want to sit on it. I just wanted a good starting point which you gave me. I'm gonna get it cleaned up. Play with it a little. And then post it for sale on here and MSRAs site. My hope is that I can find someone that has another 28-31 that needs parts to keep theirs original. 

On 3/14/2017 at 8:53 AM, cowboydanny said:

Hey y'all, we bought a 1931 Pontiac 4 door sport sedan last year. We are doing a restomod on it and putting in a 350.

Sounds like a great project, cowboydanny! That is a PONTIAC 350 you're putting in there, right? :dancingpontiac:

• Like 1

On 3/15/2017 at 8:09 PM, cowboydanny said:

I agree too I may only get a couple hundred or I may get 500 it's all about finding the right buyer and how long I want to sit on it. I just wanted a good starting point which you gave me. I'm gonna get it cleaned up. Play with it a little. And then post it for sale on here and MSRAs site. My hope is that I can find someone that has another 28-31 that needs parts to keep theirs original. 

You can try posting it in the Pontiac Oakland Club International (POCI) want ads if you are a member. Obviously a large range of Pontiac and perhaps AACA postings. Hemmings might also be a good place to post it.

4 hours ago, stratman said:

Sounds like a great project, cowboydanny! That is a PONTIAC 350 you're putting in there, right? :dancingpontiac:

AGREED!!! It's a PONTIAC replacement, right?    Hey, sent ya a lead if you care to call the guy.

I wish it was a Pontiac 350. My dad gave me the engine and 350 trans complete with MSD ignition system. And said find something to put it in. I have plenty of toys so this will be my wife's. She told me 4 door 1930's I would say I nailed it.

20 hours ago, cowboydanny said:

I wish it was a Pontiac 350. My dad gave me the engine and 350 trans complete with MSD ignition system. And said find something to put it in. I have plenty of toys so this will be my wife's. She told me 4 door 1930's I would say I nailed it.

Well...ok...since your dad gave it to you... 

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Maybe you can find some aftermarket SBC Chevy valve covers that say Pontiac then. JUSTA a thought.

...and paint it Pontiac engine blue, eh?

Like I said I was given this engine so no way I was gonna turn that down. I plan on replacing the timing chain cover. And add maybe some sort of Pontiac air cleaner. Anyone have a nice one sitting around they want to sell.

IMG_20150715_170838.jpg

On 3/17/2017 at 6:47 PM, stratman said:

Well...ok...since your dad gave it to you... 

...and paint it Pontiac engine blue, eh?

Is this blue close enough? I'd like to get custom engraved timing chain cover and air cleaner cover.

On 3/20/2017 at 7:10 AM, cowboydanny said:

Like I said I was given this engine so no way I was gonna turn that down. I plan on replacing the timing chain cover. And add maybe some sort of Pontiac air cleaner. Anyone have a nice one sitting around they want to sell.

IMG_20150715_170838.jpg

Close enough, I like it! Way better than orange, lol! You can't beat free, and with the Pontiac touches you are planning to do to your engine, only the hardcore will be able to tell the difference. That is going to be an awesome, one-of-a-kind rod when you are done. Do you have a guesstimate of how long it will take you to build your '31? 

Well funds are being set aside and next year my car and the camper will be paid off so that should free up a lot more money. 

The goal this year is to get the radiator from ordered from brassworks, plan is to bolt the original Indian Head radiator cap in place and have a functional one under hood.  Also as we are planning on reusing the front axel, I'm taking drums off the front hubs, relocating lugs to a standard GM bolt pattern. And ordering some Wilwood rotors and calipers. Then I will know what my front wheel span will be and I can have new rearend cut down to match. Since engine and trans are done they will be next. I'm going to get them bolted up and in the engine bay so my buddy can help us align them, build mounting brackets and, reinforce the frame. 

We are planning on doing the floor with reclaimed maple flooring. And my other friend will be rebuilding the seats for us. 

Then comes the hard part replacing the broken wood filler pieces. Good thing I'm a woodworker and have stacks of white oak laying around.

Once wood is fixed I need to have third friend come over and weld up some cracks. 

The roof will be a folding ragtop out of CA. About $700. And paint will be done by forth friend. He's amazing painter and wants his name on this car. 

So I'm sure it will be a few years but my dad's helping and he's a retired mechanic. So he claims this is his retirement project.

• Like 1