Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Looking into purchasing another DSM

Mariachi

personally, i prefer a 2g body over the 1g. but again, speed is all im looking for. i will repaint later. :lol2:

so i spoke to the guy and he doesn't know much of the history of the car so i will have to be careful if i purchase the car. but for $1700 with a JDM spec evo motor, you can't beat it. It has to be swapped bcuz the USDM spec 4g63 comes in this car. the only way the JDM spec will come in this car is swapped. he says it runs but doesn't have a cat so i will have to weld my 2.5" cat to the exaust to pass emissions smog test in town.

now for the good, since the dude didn't know it had a JDM spec motor, he really doesn't know how many miles the motor had. it could've been already rebuilt. he says that nothing leaks, car has NO overheating problems, no stuttering problems, no check light, when you stomp on it, has no vibration in the tranny or diff, so that basically determines that their is no broken head gasket, no tranny issues, etc. now the guy did admit to that car being more of a race type car. he has been honest when i called. so, that being said, i think im going to have a make a 5hr drive to something that might be damn well worth it.

he also did admit that he does NOT daily drive this car. my intentions also are not to daily drive this car. im going to autocross with it. oh how much fun that will be. :lol2:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed....thats probably the best route to go with.

Or, what I did once is build up a motor and tranny, then buy a shell and install. For me it was a hell of alot faster / easier... :willy_nilly:

agreed....thats probably the best route to go with.

If I wasn't purchasing a late 90's GS-T Spyder myself, it's what I would do as well, as I'd love to build one of these cars up and have AWD, but alas, I want a nice convertible :willy_nilly:

• 3 weeks later...

Good choice on the DSM...just watch em....

I'm going to look at a 94 TSi tomorrow....for 1k i don't think i can pass it up.

Needs a slave cylinder....that's it

Biggest thing is, the car has 200k miles on it. the body is in good shape, paint is ok, leather is in good shape, trans was rebuilt 1500 miles ago and the timing chain was replaced.

I think its a great buy, going to look at it tomorrow and make sure everything is what the guy says it is.

thats awesome! dont pass out on that deal! good project car if i may add.

i wish i still had my old GSX though. 1990 with 155k original miles with rebuilt tranny, new timing, rebuilt head, etc. omg that car ran like if it was new! turbo spooled so fast! but i had to sell it and regret selling it. well.. i can only buy another one. lol

Ya i'm upset that this guy hasn't gotten pics yet for me but that's fine...i just want that car asap! The T/A is in storage and an not going to dd that car.

It has the original 6 bolt in it so i'm weary on doing any mods until i get the motor rebuilt. I know for sure i'm adding a bov as soon as i get the money but other than that i think i'm going to be holding off. I know of a decent place in STL for import builds but idk...last person i talked too took him nearly 3 months to get the car running and i definitely do not want to be without a car once again.

as per my style i have to A-pillar gauges too lol. To me nothing looks better and tasteful that a set of a-pillars.

oh yeah! now if you get a BOV, you do know that no matter what, the bov has to be recirculated back to the intake which will almost defeat the purpose of an after market bov sound. Now if you get an intake and bov, then you will make some noise. lol. your wastegate will make more noise dumping than the stock bov with an intake. just an fyi. :cheers:

Oh yes i've read up on that quite a bit. I'll definitely be going the basic bolt ons and then getting it tuned for them. I've heard bad things happening if you don't recirculate.

thats a 7 bolt not a 6. the bearings around the crank that separate the crank become weak over time and because of the friction caused by bad drivers and bad shifting, then break those bearing thus causing crank walk. if you have an auto 7 bolt, you won't have to worry about crank walk bcuz well... its an auto. lol. now 6 bolts, which is what we are looking at, do not experience these same symptoms and can take more of a beating than a 7bolt.

Oh yes i've read up on that quite a bit. I'll definitely be going the basic bolt ons and then getting it tuned for them. I've heard bad things happening if you don't recirculate.

yeah. check out dsmtalk.com. lots of good info on that site.

I've always liked DSM's, but it's really hard to come across one in good shape. I stumbled across my 2g for 1800, and it was a near perfect survivor, so I just cleaned it up and drove it. Didn't realize my ex gf's 2g talon was a 6bolt swap until after she wrecked it. Good luck man, it' tough finding a non-rape victim.