Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hi there,

Do the '61 Bonnevilles use spring saddles or insulators? If so, top and /or bottom? Front and/or rear? I'm finding it difficult to get an accurate answer out there in Google-Land, and my manual is missing that chapter (of course it isπŸ™„).

Also, I'm planning to lower it 2" front and rear - as I want the balance between looking good, still handling ok (not too harsh), and being able to get in and out of driveways without too much trouble. Any information/advice/experiences you may have will be greatfully received.

For the record I'm not going with air bags or drop spindles, so it'll all be done with springs and shocks.

Car is a cruiser, and is running original 14x6" rims with 215/70's.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Have asked the question about the spring insulators elsewhere, and now have the answer. 2x insulators for the upper rear springs have been ordered from Rubber The Right Way, in transit as I write.

Am still interested in your opinions and experiences (I'm sure you'll have some) on the lowering question above.

I've also had recommendations on shocks that will give decent control but a comfortable ride, and KYB's and Monroe's seem to come out on top.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bonne61 said:

Have asked the question about the spring insulators elsewhere, and now have the answer. 2x insulators for the upper rear springs have been ordered from Rubber The Right Way, in transit as I write.

Am still interested in your opinions and experiences (I'm sure you'll have some) on the lowering question above.

I've also had recommendations on shocks that will give decent control but a comfortable ride, and KYB's and Monroe's seem to come out on top.

@FrostyΒ @64 kiwi boniΒ @FitzyΒ @Ringo64Β @Wrongway

• Like 2

Well, I personally can't wait to see her when Shes done. I'm a huge fan of lowriders, I know you're only going 2" and not slamming it but I'm excited to see the route you take. I've personally had cars over the years that were bagged, static dropped and a couple that the springs were cut or heated to compress. As for "opinions and experiences", before my Grand Prix I built a 94' Mustang Gt. During the build I dropped her 2" and put on a body kit which left me sitting about 2" off the ground. She looked amazing! After everything was done, paint dried, and car reassembled I took my wife out to lunch and a test drive. The front end rubbed the entrance of the driveway going into restaurant. When we got parked, I checked for damage, justa few scratches. Pulling into my driveway at home she grinded bad, it took about 15min to find an angle I could drive in at that would not grind. I know you won't have the issues I had but you ask for our experiences. To me, cutting or heating springs looks great but ride quality sucks and at my age I'm more about ride quality then I was 20 years ago. Static drops are good and most of the time comfortable as long as you get the right shocks and springs for the size and weight of your vehicle. My personal preference is air bags, if you are able to get all the components needed and can do the work. You can adjust the stance when needed, lay her on the ground when parked which justa looks awesome and get a good comfy ride.

Thats my "opinion and experience" ol' buddy. Good luck Paul, I can't wait to see the pictures bro!Β :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wrongway said:

Well, I personally can't wait to see her when Shes done. I'm a huge fan of lowriders, I know you're only going 2" and not slamming it but I'm excited to see the route you take. I've personally had cars over the years that were bagged, static dropped and a couple that the springs were cut or heated to compress. As for "opinions and experiences", before my Grand Prix I built a 94' Mustang Gt. During the build I dropped her 2" and put on a body kit which left me sitting about 2" off the ground. She looked amazing! After everything was done, paint dried, and car reassembled I took my wife out to lunch and a test drive. The front end rubbed the entrance of the driveway going into restaurant. When we got parked, I checked for damage, justa few scratches. Pulling into my driveway at home she grinded bad, it took about 15min to find an angle I could drive in at that would not grind. I know you won't have the issues I had but you ask for our experiences. To me, cutting or heating springs looks great but ride quality sucks and at my age I'm more about ride quality then I was 20 years ago. Static drops are good and most of the time comfortable as long as you get the right shocks and springs for the size and weight of your vehicle. My personal preference is air bags, if you are able to get all the components needed and can do the work. You can adjust the stance when needed, lay her on the ground when parked which justa looks awesome and get a good comfy ride.

Thats my "opinion and experience" ol' buddy. Good luck Paul, I can't wait to see the pictures bro!Β :cheers:

Haha, yes the ground clearance is one my wife has already mentioned.

I can do whatever I like for the looks, but if it feels like a race car on the road (ie: she needs a kidney belt for a trip up the road) or I need to take every speed hump at walking pace and 45 degree angle, she will slap me 😭

She's been down this road beforeΒ πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

I've been recommended the airbag route a few times, but tbh I can't be bothered with the cost, effort and the upgrades to the electrical system I'll have to do to install them. I am happy to just go down the "old school" route, & put up with the compromises that will come with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yup I hear ya. Money and parts availability, mostly money is the reason I didn't slam my 63'. I ended up lifting the rear a couple inches and got a nice mild rake instead. Justa keep us posted bro and send lots of picsΒ :lol:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Hi Paul. I have lowered many cars and although they look shit hot, they don't really like it. It's to do with suspension geometry. Drop spindles are probably the best solution because the spring rates & geometry are largely unchanged. I installed lowered springs in my GP - I was conservative and only went 2" front 1.5" rear. Long wheelbase cars are always going to struggle when you lower them due to the reduced ground clearance. I will say here that if I were to do it again, I would only go 1.5" front & 1" rear AND I would be sure to install heavy duty ones. My wheels are 14 x 6 (same as factory steelies) and the rears will rub ever so slightly when the car is on uneven ground. Otherwise it drives perfectly and feels solid on the highway.

completely agree ! i had the front springs reset on my 64 down 2 inches... wrongway !!! i had to have them bump them back up 1/2 inch as it was wayyy too close to the bump stops for my liking ..

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

I got a great deal on a set of Monroes from Dave Clee at PontiWorld (now GM Service Parts...I think.)

dave rocks !!! good man, when he isnt hurting himself !!!!:rofl:

https://pontiworld.com.au/usgmsp/

image.png.da483cc5c6b0892828dd59bc1860489e.png

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

You're not supposed to air freight gas shocks - another reason why I went local, although in saying that Rockauto shipped me some KYB gas ones for my Rodeo!

i did the same and rock auto sent me a set of kyb to nz ! no issues at allΒ :)

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fitzy said:

Drop spindles are probably the best solution

good luck finding dropped spindles that are compliant in oz and nz for a ponti !!:cheers:

and fitzy's right, drop spindles are the correct way to maintain geometry ,,, but watch out for steering arm location causing bump steer !!...Β 

kiss comes to mind once again !!! Keep It Simple Stupid !

or spend lots of money for a look thatΒ  will make your car handle like a pos !:rofl:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Last Indian said:

Well while you didn’t ask me l’ll give my 2 cents. Pete is correct the suspension geometry plays a pivotal role in this process which nearly everyone ignores! Where you place the suspension axis impacts everything! Toe, caster, camber, turning radius, roll center, CG, weight distribution in braking & tire wearΒ Β Β & so on! You can lower a car to the ground or raise it 5 feet in the air, but what are the repercussions that most ignore or except?Β 

I won’t carry on about it, but I never really got any of it. In my humble opinion a car looks best with a stout stance! Cars set down look weak! Just like car wheels that are thin spoked or blacked out (that just blends into the black tire etc. all just look weak in the same way, IMO. But beyond that if your goal is to make the car handle better lowering it is not the way to get there. I have built car of many varieties, including lowering ones. All of them took an enormous amount of computation to know what I would need so I knew what I would have in the end.

To kiwi’s point, the best bang for your buck would be sway bar setups front & rear, & bigger is better. And the shortest link ends as possible. Nothing & I mean nothing will effect handling more than sway bars of the most optimal size, with the right bushing material & the correctly size end links!

Whatever you choose, I wish you the best!

As so many of you have mentioned sway bars here, I thought I'd post this. K-Mac here in Aus, the same ones that can make my coils for me, also do a front 27mm sway bar for $420, and a rear 27mm (including all fitting hardware) for $480.

• Like 2