Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

750cmf elder brock carburetor fouling plugs

Go to solution Solved by 64 kiwi boni,

What is best carburetor to use on69 Pontiac 400 engine ram air3heads  ram air4cam  headers dual exhaust with elder rock rpm  intake 

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

What are you looking for with this combination?

Reliability? Economy? Seat of the pants acceleration? All out performance for drag racing? Street/strip combination? Auto cross? Simple street cruising?

• Like 1

Not to carbon up new plugs in 100miles something isn’t right 

Have eldelbrock 750 comfy carb on it now bought new 

• Like 2

Hmmm....if the plugs are fouling, that sounds like you are running way too rich (assuming there is no oil leak or anything else wrong with the motor). A 750 cfm carb should be plenty for the car except perhaps all out drag racing. I think a good carb tuning is what you really need. Do you know a good carb tuning wizard in your area?

What spark plugs are you running? You might want to run a hotter plug to help burn off the carbon too.

You can get add an aftermarket air/fuel ratio gauge. This will require you to drill a hole in your exhaust system near the header collector and install an O2 sensor. That way you know if you are running too rich or too lean at any point in the rpm range.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Wow that’s a whole can of worms to open up! Frosty’s right, to much fuel and no the carbs not too big. So some questions are in order! How does it run? Sputtering, boggy, good, bad what?  I know edelbrock carbs, but I’m not familiar with a comfy carb by them. Still several things come to mind. If it is an electric choke is it working right? Vacuum secondary’s? Are they connected to the right vacuum source. The base gasket, these often cause lots of problems if it doesn’t complete the right connection between the carb & the manifold. Also some manifolds can’t be used with certain carbs because of their design and the carbs design.

So can you give us more info? I presume the manifold is a performer rpm air gap? Right? But can you give us the actual carb model. 

• Like 2

• Solution

JustA my two cents . Your 750 straight out of the box  is too big for the 400 jetting will be wrong 

you should really be using a 600 to 650 max cfm edelbrock 

unless you have the motor set up for racing :cheers:

start at the beginning with the basics like the guys have suggested , but chat with the team at Edelbrock Would be a wise move … or google the formula for how many cfm your motor should have :cheers:

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Hmmm....if the plugs are fouling, that sounds like you are running way too rich (assuming there is no oil leak or anything else wrong with the motor). A 750 cfm carb should be plenty for the car except perhaps all out drag racing. I think a good carb tuning is what you really need. Do you know a good carb tuning wizard in your area?

What spark plugs are you running? You might want to run a hotter plug to help burn off the carbon too.

You can get add an aftermarket air/fuel ratio gauge. This will require you to drill a hole in your exhaust system near the header collector and install an O2 sensor. That way you know if you are running too rich or too lean at any point in the rpm range.

5 hours ago, Matador red said:

Not to carbon up new plugs in 100miles something isn’t right 

4 hours ago, indymanjoe said:

is your exhaust restricted? whats the whole system consist of? does your choke pull off work?

I thought carb was too big will get with eldelbrock never thought of that or get smaller cmf carb thanks I needed a second opinion just confused 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Matador red said:

I thought carb was too big will get with eldelbrock never thought of that or get smaller cmf carb thanks I needed a second opinion just confused 

Yeah, sorry I have to disagree with Kiwi. That carbs not to big for that motor with the cam you say you have! Especially the primaries! Which is predominantly what you run on, unless you have your foot to the floor all the time! There is something else going on! So I repeat we need more info. You say comfy carb, but there is no Edelbrock carb called comfy carb, so what carb part number is it? I still suspect you have the secondaries connected to the wrong vacuum! We can’t help if you don’t answer the question.

• Like 2

To explain a little further, CFM ratings are misleading when not viewed in relationship to the entire system! Manifold, heads, exhaust & the most always forgotten air inlet setup. Your 400 cid engine will flow about 500 to 550 CFM! But restricted inlet or outlet will reduce that number. Yet that restriction translates to a lower output number for the carburetor, because it can’t flow more fuel in a Venturi effect since the air flow isn’t there! Additionally the front two barrels or what are called the primaries only flow about 500 CFM! 
Your carb is not to big! You may need to change jetting, but you’ll only be able to determine that after you do the needed work to determine the problem.

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

Ah seee ! That’s what I am taking about !!!

thank you gary  👍👍👍

I blame the cpap that’s justA come into my life , feeding wayyyy too much oxygen to my brain ! And in turn it wanting more information :rofl:Homer Simpson Thinking GIF

• Haha 2

I’ve heard that before just not much experience on tuning, but trying to learn I appreciate all the information I can get.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matador red said:

I’ve heard that before just not much experience on tuning, but trying to learn I appreciate all the information I can get.

Darrell, you have a great carb, it will be easy to tune and there is certainly no rocket science in it at all :cheers:

now... has anyone here told you we love pictures ??? show us the set up on your motor :dancingpontiac:

these guys have sooooo much knowledge and experanance, they can ceratinly help you with advise.... having said that, it was great to hear you called edelbrock :cheers:.

kiss !!! keep it simple stupid.... go through the basics first ! dont do what i do and over think shit :stars:

you have a performer 1411...

https://www.edelbrock.com/performer-series-750-cfm-carburetor-with-electric-choke-in-satin-non-egr-1411.html

did you ask the boys at edlebrock what jetting should be in it for your 400 ? 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2023 at 5:00 PM, Matador red said:

1411 eldelbrock carb

1411 yes air gap intake 

Running smooth but no roar got rebuild kit today 

• Like 2