Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Front brake help please!!!

Go to solution Solved by 64 kiwi boni,

37 minutes ago, Bonne61 said:

That makes sense, it certainly doesn't fit with how everything else seems to have been made.

Thanks you.

Hey, I've just noticed you're from Pontiac, Michigan. According to the numbers on our Bonne, it was manufactured in the Pontiac factory there.

A lil before my 30 yrs,  but pure Pontiac.  Wish it was easier to get parts for all of us, have had a heck of time finding the simplest parts this summer. 

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

On 10/8/2022 at 6:22 PM, Bonne61 said:

Hehe, it’s even before my time which is something I don’t get to say much these days. 🤣

Hopefully I won’t need too many major parts in future, but I say that with 🤞🏼So I don’t jinx myself 😬

image.png.5bd387e7d13c91e12f1727230c6db582.png BOP -  Buick Olds Pontiac  Final assembly.

image.png.40e3af551cdaf1d4037996156b1a555e.png

image.png.d4e77daad286367187e35e0220db52aa.png

Have to Cringe as I worked on a platform where the chain had to pull all these cars up ramps.  Yes the CHAIN occasionally broke and the mayhem began.  Have to remember there are people working on the front or rear of the car in between the carriers.  Saw it happen three times.

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

In my excitement to find & order the front hubs for my Bonneville from Franks, I have overlooked a significant detail.

The parts arrived, however they did not include the spindles, etc I was expecting (my @#$% up, totally).

So can anyone answer the following questions for me...

1. will '63/'64 spindles fit onto '61 steering arms?

2. will '61 backing plates fit onto '63/'64 spindles?

When (if?) I have a definite answer for the above, I will then beg any Australians on this site for the parts I need, which will hopefully save me another 3-4 week wait for parts from California.

Yes, it hurts to be so stupid!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes they should since '61-'64 are all part of the third generation Bonneville. The only word of warning would be not to use 8-lug spindles for a 5-lug hub and vice-versa. 

• Like 2

Paul, i cant tell you with certainty that 63/64 will or wont fit, sorry.

all i have done is reused my 8 lugger spindles on my replacement chassis.

i do know the steering arms are removable from the stub axle, so you sould be able to reuse your arms.

i have just checked on ames cataloge and 62 -68 bearings are different to 58-61 bearings.

so chances are your stubs are not the same as 63-64.

Paul show us a picture of the damaged spindle !, it may be repairable mate !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Paul, i cant tell you with certainty that 63/64 will or wont fit, sorry.

all i have done is reused my 8 lugger spindles on my replacement chassis.

i do know the steering arms are removable from the stub axle, so you sould be able to reuse your arms.

i have just checked on ames cataloge and 62 -68 bearings are different to 58-61 bearings.

so chances are your stubs are not the same as 63-64.

Paul show us a picture of the damaged spindle !, it may be repairable mate !

Thanks @Frosty, @JUSTA6 & @64 kiwi boni.
Frank's has come back to confirm that all '61-'64 backing plates should fit, providing they're US & not Aus or Canadian as I've mentioned earlier.
And @64 kiwi boni, the stubs are definitely different which is why I've had tp replace stubs when I've bought the '63/'64 hubs.

All a learning curve I guess?
Thanks again for all of your advice.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, especially @Frosty @JUSTA6 & @64 kiwi boni ,

My Bonneville is finally on the road, thanks so much for all of your advice.

The spindles & steering arms arrived at my door from Frank's in record time. The wheel cylinders arrived too, but in the end weren't correct however my brake guru (shout out to Adam from Quik Speed Brake & Mechanical) who rebuilt my old ones using the insides of the new ones overnight.

Which means, we have spent the last 2 days cruising' around, & are driving the car to it's first show tomorrow. Absolutely stoked to finally be driving it 😃

Will upload some more photos soon, I promise.

Thanks so much again you guys 🙏

• Like 2