Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

My 1997 Firebird 1LE finally needs brakes...Front and Rear Rotors and Pads..The 1LE specific parts are no longer available...I'm going to reuse the factory calipers...So I'm looking for Input on severe duty rotors (slotted or not..??) and matching pads..any input will be appreciated...

PS..got 100,000 miles out of the originals... 

1648240886327810602663118100464.jpg

16482409498797280521650206754212.jpg

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Love my upgrade to drilled/ slotted,  alot less heat, NO brake dust and the pads still look new.  Plan to upgrade the daily drivers when they need brakes. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

My 1997 Firebird 1LE finally needs brakes...Front and Rear Rotors and Pads..The 1LE specific parts are no longer available...I'm going to reuse the factory calipers...So I'm looking for Input on severe duty rotors (slotted or not..??) and matching pads..any input will be appreciated...

PS..got 100,000 miles out of the originals... 

1648240886327810602663118100464.jpg

16482409498797280521650206754212.jpg

Two Lane, I would always prefer cross drilled rotors. I run these rotors on the Indian. They have been on since 2004. I run EB green stuff pads, but these pads  I bought because of their coefficient of friction number, AKA they are soft pads. This setup stops phenomenally! Actually to the point that the car will flat stop in a panic stop situation without engaging the antilocks, it stops that well! Anyway these pads are quite dusty, so there may be other pads that are better now. These are nice rotors!

https://www.sp-performance.com/

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys...Will be going with Sport Rotors Cryogenically treated slotted Brake Rotors...I'm going with the slotted rotors instead of the Cross drilled is because in my personal experience I've found that the drilled rotors have a tendency to crack outward from the holes... Under extreme severe use Braking conditions...(Nascar short track ovals) The car is mainly driven under normal street use conditions....But it has  occasionally been run on the track...and Routinely  speeds over 100 + MPH on my favorite road course (Blue Ridge Parkway)...Will also be going with Hawk HPS Ferro-Carbon pads.. Any final thoughts/comments Would be appreciated Before I push the Order button...Thanks again guys...16496881943786694777304886119710.thumb.jpg.54b5b705ef8b93384940578fdc6d61ea.jpg16496876887308093567024130547893.thumb.jpg.f47df16971da9b1da647b98df11cdd4b.jpg

16496887604284329150024061196903.jpg

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Thanks for the input guys...Will be going with Sport Rotors Cryogenically treated slotted Brake Rotors...I'm going with the slotted rotors instead of the Cross drilled is because in my personal experience I've found that the drilled rotors have a tendency to crack outward from the holes... Under extreme severe use Braking conditions...(Nascar short track ovals) The car is mainly driven under normal street use conditions....But it has  occasionally been run on the track...and Routinely  speeds over 100 + MPH on my favorite road course (Blue Ridge Parkway)...Will also be going with Hawk HPS Ferro-Carbon pads.. Any final thoughts/comments Would be appreciated Before I push the Order button...Thanks again guys...16496881943786694777304886119710.thumb.jpg.54b5b705ef8b93384940578fdc6d61ea.jpg16496876887308093567024130547893.thumb.jpg.f47df16971da9b1da647b98df11cdd4b.jpg

16496887604284329150024061196903.jpg

Yup! Great choice! Didn’t know you could get the cryogenically hardened one for that year! But obviously you can! Rears too? Those are what I have on the Lacrosses. 
FYI. The SP rotors while cross drilled have a specific chamfer that is supposed to eliminate the heat issues that causes the cracking. And as far as mine are concerned they have never cracked, still look really good actually.

Where or who did you find the cryogenically hardened rotors?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Will be acquiring the parts through Classic Industries...

Will be doing all four (4) Wheels...With the Cryogenically treated Slotted Rotors and the Hawk HPS Ferro-Carbon pads...From what info I'm able to gather... Apparently the cryo treated rotors are only available with the slotted rotors....But I could very well be wrong on that...???

I'm hoping this is going to be a good Upgrade from the nonexistent/Discontinued Original GM 1LE specific braking components...That the car is originally factory equipped with... Which is a Really good package to begin with....So I guess I will find out for sure...When the parts arrive and I install them...

Am going to push the order button within the hour...16497005546597600857783265443195.thumb.jpg.8eac75d85fd8addb4c78507d44a62dd0.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's input and comments...

TLBT

The only other recommendation I would offer, as I haven’t said it here, is the brake fluid. Bosch sells a ES16 brake fluid. Compared to the other available products, with the exception of pure silicone, which even that needs to be a specific type if you run in cold weather, it is hands down the best! IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spent an hour waiting on the phone with Classic  Industries...Only to be told that the rotors and pads are Back ordered...They might get them in 12 to 14 weeks...Maybe...

So this occurrence...Causes me Great Annoyance and Displeasure...

I somehow can't help from thinking that this Cretin who is talking to me....From the fake Whitehouse Oval Office TV set.....(right this very moment)Telling me how great he is doing...Along with  His Buddy who wears the plastic nursing titties... Are Not Somehow directly responsible for this Travesty...And Injustice that has been forced Upon me...

So in the meantime I will have to come up with a plan B...

• Sad 1

JustA you need to look closely at the holes they’re not really chamfered. It’s not the size as much as removing the entry & exit of the cone per say. Looking closely you will see there are basically no sharp edge of any kind entering the cross drill hole or exiting it. Those two points are the precipitous of the problem. The hole chamfer isn’t actually a chamfer it’s called a sinusoid curve.

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

I think you’ll be pleased. Nothing like made in the USA! Than you can actually get it! Amazing! Maybe somebody should tell Joe! Oh wait he’s too busy getting the bird poop off his coat!:rofl:

• Like 1

Found that amusing too..

Guess the Wildlife isn't onboard with the narrative either...

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

• Like 1

Organic

Often made of materials of glass, Kevlar, carbon, rubber, or fiberglass and bonded together with extreme heat-resistant resin. These brake pads are often the lowest-priced option for brake pads, are quieter, and reduce stress on the brake rotors. Unfortunately, organic pads produce a great deal of black, brake dust and tend to wear down faster.

Semi-Metallic

Many vehicles on the road today are equipped with semi-metallic brake pads. Often made from a compound of iron, copper, steel, and graphite that have bonded together, these pads provide good performance and transfer heat from friction well. Metallic brake pads are more durable and are often used for heavier vehicles. They are more resistant to brake fade, available in a wide range of formulations suitable for trucks and SUVs, are cleaner than organic materials, and are a more cost-efficient option in comparison to ceramic pads. However, there are some disadvantages to semi-metallic pads. They can be noisy and tough on the brake system causing more frequent wear of rotors.

Ceramic

Ceramic pads, yes, made of similar materials to what you’d find in ceramic pottery and plates, but far more durable. These pads are made of stacked glass ceramic fibers, filler material, bonding agents, and bits of varying metals. Ceramic has gained popularity in recent years and is widely used among many manufacturers. They were developed after semi-metallic pads in an attempt to reduce noise, heat, and brake dust. The difference between ceramic and metallic brake pads is that ceramic pads are quieter and cleaner in comparison to organic and semi-metallic pads, less abrasive on rotors, and often last longer than others. Drawbacks of ceramic pads include cost, as they are the most expensive brake pad option and are not designed to be used on performance vehicles or heavy-duty trucks.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Does anyone know what is the difference between Semi Metallic Brake pads...and Carbon Metallic pads..??

Carbon metallic pads use carbon fiber mixed obviously some type of metal shavings, ceramic metallic uses ceramic mixed with metal shavings and organic obviously we all know. You recommendation would be the carbon metallic! They have very good heat tolerance good fade properties excellent stopping power, better than ceramics, yet they are much easier on rotors. With the type of rotors you are getting, I think you would be ahead of the game with carbon metallics. IMO.

• Like 1