Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Any Canadian built Pontiac's on this site.

I own a 1957 Pontiac Pathfinder Deluxe sedan that I have owned since 1996. Built in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada by GM Canada. Our Pontiac's were not true Pontiac's to the fullest sense of the word. Our Canadian Pontiac's were based on the Chevrolet and usually had Chevrolet platforms.  Before 1955 our Pontiac's looked just like Chevy's with different grills and trim. As of 1955 our Pontiac's looked just like American Pontiac's but were Chevy's under the skin.  I have parked my Canadian 57 Pontiac next to American 57 Pontiac's and then you can really see all the differences under the skin. Are there any other Canadian Pontiac's on this amazing site. The combination of Pontiac and Chevrolet has made some very interesting collector automobiles. For example can you imagine a 1962-1965 Pontiac with a 409 Chev and four speed. How about a 1967-1969 Pontiac with a 427 Chev and four speed. A 1970 Pontiac with a 454 Chev. 1957 Pontiac with 283 Chev and dual four barrel set up. I have been to shows where I have seen Canadian Pontiac's owned by Americans, so there is an interest in the U.S. for Canadian versions. My Canadian 57 Pontiac has an original issue 261 in line six cylinder that is actually a 261 Chevrolet truck motor with some mechanical differences. These engines were standard issue motors from 1955 to 1962. The small block Chevy motor was offered as an extra cost option but had Pontiac script on the valve covers and was painted green instead of orange. Looking forward to enjoying and participating this Pontiac site. Cheers.

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

now that is very cool :cheers: George, you have done such a super clean job of the restoration !!!

is that a blue flame motor ? 

and is it a cast iron Power glide trans ?

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

I appreciate the kind comments from everyone. The motor is the original issued 261 in line six cylinder motor that is mostly based on the Chevrolet truck motor. This was the base motor for Canadian Pontiac's from 1955 to 1962. Since Pontiac was a step above Chev, the base six had to be bigger and more powerful than the Chev. The 235 and 261 may look alike from the outside but inside there are a number of differences. The 261 had a bigger one barrel carb, had a slightly higher compression, a higher lift camshaft that was the same cam as the 53-54 Corvette, had much thicker connecting rods for the pistons and had steam holes in the head and block. All this very much unlike the 235 six. My 57 came with the standard shift on the column three speed. A cast iron Power Glide automatic  was offered at extra cost, also a Chev 283 V-8 was offered at extra cost. The infamous Turbo Glide automatic was also offered at extra cost. My 57 Pontiac is basically a 57 Chev in disguise. When you look under the hood, inside the trunk and underneath the under carriage, you see Chevrolet all over the place. Cheers. 

• Like 2

Dualquadpete owns a Parisienne wagon with a Chevy small block and a 3-speed manual stick shift on the floor in it. Pete lives in northern Toronto.

• Like 1