Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Me and my 68 Firebird

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

currently I have what I believe is a 350 YN code. But my dad and a mechanic seem to believe its a 400. I have researched and found no 400 to be a YN code. Also above the YN letters is 0283493. My research says its  base 350 with 265 HP. Could I be wrong? 

Yeah INDYMANJOE but I've taken that spot now! Behind the camaro is a pontiac 428 XF 62 heads and trans I got the the Firebird or if I can find a 66 or 69 GTO.

20201121_122721.jpg

Thats where I checked INDYMANJOE. So its just a 350 and thats what I've been trying to tell them. 

• Like 2

Welcome to FP Bernardo.

Out of curiosity, does the numbers 283493 match the last digits of your car's VIN number? If it does, then that would mean that this 350 is the original engine that your car was built with.

Thanks Frosty. The numbers on dash vin is what you are referring to right. Just my thought, the car has been well taken care of and from what my dad told me it is the original 350. But I will check tomorrow 

That is correct sir. If it is the original motor the two numbers should match. 

That being said, assuming they match, the car is probably unmolested original. So you can swap motors and have fun, playing hot rod with the spare 421, but I would make sure to take real good care of the 350 since that is the engine it was born with. Numbers matching cars are worth more when you go to sell them.

• Like 1

Update on the bird and it makes no sense to me. Casting numbers are 488988. YN code on the front. And FROSTY it is not matching the vin. So going forward I will eventually put the 428 in it.

And the heads are one of the three. 5C, 50, 56. I only found 5C for pontiac heads. Anyone know more about this situation

Okay Bernardo. If 488988 is the casting number on the block, this matches up with a 1974 or 1975 Pontiac 400 block. You can tell by the date code stamped by the distributor hole. This further supports that this is not the original motor. Since you talk about having 5C heads, I am guessing you have a 1975 motor.

Photos help where you found these numbers on the heads.

image.png.cbce21eb0a04596bdfdd54c045e64015.png

I am assuming you found the 5C in the middle as shown above.

5C heads from 1975 could be one of the following heads:

image.png.ae03070bdb6796b757c2729c63c51284.png

• Like 1