Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

havin trouble with my fiero

i recently bought a 1988 fiero 2m4 for $400. when i got it i was told that the only thing wrong with it was trash in the gas tank. well i guess you can say i got burned on that deal. shortly after i purchased the car, i dropped the tank (witch took me about 2 hours to find lol) i got all the trash out of the tank and bought a brand new injector for the throttle body. well when i put it all together the wire to the injector didnt get any power. ive replaced the ignition control module and cool packs. i tried to strait wire the injector just to get it running but the damn thing caught on fire! so i dont know what to do.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm...

I would run a fuel PSI gauge off the fuel rail to see what the pump is doing, PSI-wise.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to check to see if you're getting spark anyway.

Plugs? Wires? How are those?

What motor is in the Fiero?

' date='Sep 23 2010, 05:41 PM' post='37159']

Hmmmm...

I would run a fuel PSI gauge off the fuel rail to see what the pump is doing, PSI-wise.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to check to see if you're getting spark anyway.

Plugs? Wires? How are those?

What motor is in the Fiero?

plugs are brand new it also has good wires and it does get a spark. the fuel pump does work but the single injector doesnt get power at all. it has a throttle body on it with a very short fuel rail. i have the ecu out of the car right now and im goin to go get the chips checked. oh and its a 2.5

Hmmm.

I'd attack the fuel injector's plug connection.

Couldn't hurt to take the throttle body off as well and give it a good cleaning. A bath of WD-40 or Carb Cleaner works great.

' date='Sep 23 2010, 07:03 PM' post='37164']

Hmmm.

I'd attack the fuel injector's plug connection.

Couldn't hurt to take the throttle body off as well and give it a good cleaning. A bath of WD-40 or Carb Cleaner works great.

ok i havent taken the throttle body off yet but im sure it aint the fuel injector connection. i hooked up a test light to the wire behind the conector and it didnt light up

The 88 was the best year that they ever produced, they got everything right then they axed it.

as for the motor. the "U" code 2.5 "Iron Duke" is effing bullet proof. i have hit that thing with 100 shot of NX and no damage. (granted it was on an S-10 but same motor).

do you have any pictures? is it manual? 4 speed or 5?

The 88 was the best year that they ever produced, they got everything right then they axed it.

as for the motor. the "U" code 2.5 "Iron Duke" is effing bullet proof. i have hit that thing with 100 shot of NX and no damage. (granted it was on an S-10 but same motor).

do you have any pictures? is it manual? 4 speed or 5?

sorry no pics yet and sadly it a automatic.

' date='Sep 26 2010, 11:58 PM' post='37303']

Failomatic, booooooo.

Any sort of motor swap in the future with the Fiero? 60*V6 power FTW!

ive heard that there is a kit to drop a ls1 or ls2 in the back, and i would still have the trunk space. all i would have to do would be to relocate the battery. if i could ever get the money for that i would be stoked. but the way every things lookin right now, thats gonna be a long way down the road

Still a good deal if you think about it, chassis with working tranny, but sucks to hear that, I see a complete rebuild in the future, with a possible turbo :PICS:

yea i guess with wat i got i did get a good deal. i paid 400 for the car, they aired my back tires up, and towed i about ten miles for free so dont get me wrong , im very proud of what i got this being my first car and all

• 3 weeks later...

I got some pics but dont know how to put them on the site. found out somthing new. the injector runs off of ground, not straight power so the cause of it not getting power should b the ecu

im very proud of what i got this being my first car and all

Ummm....

ive heard that there is a kit to drop a ls1 or ls2 in the back, and i would still have the trunk space.

Not a good idea what so ever with that being your first car. Drive that for a year or two, learn to drive properly first, and then, maybe then, think about dropping a 300-400HP V8 into a little OEM 2.5(what, 100hp?) car. That thing will turn into a go-kart damn quick, that's for sure.

But it's definitely a sweet mod once done, lol.

Ummm....

Not a good idea what so ever with that being your first car. Drive that for a year or two, learn to drive properly first, and then, maybe then, think about dropping a 300-400HP V8 into a little OEM 2.5(what, 100hp?) car. That thing will turn into a go-kart damn quick, that's for sure.

yea i know that wont be a good idea right now. i was planing on driving it for a long time before i ever even looked into somthing like that! :D Ive always said when i get my first car, no matter how big of a piece of shit it is lol i aint getting rid of it. yea i cant get it running fight now but o-well, i aint givin up on it. when i get it running, im going to save up to get a little eco friendly truck or a little honda or somthing, and the fiero will be my toy. cant wait for that day much longer lol

dunno if you will be able to see the pics as they are on FB but heres a link to my buddy's fiero with a carb'd 350 in it....it hauls ASSSSSSSSSSSS

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2987...p;id=1437668284

• 4 weeks later...

Ummm....

Try 98 hp. Lol.

Don't swap the engine yet. If you can get your little Iron Duke running, she will treat you well. I have a 137,xxx mile Duke in my Fiero and she runs great. (Granted, we rebuilt the thing about 20k miles ago, but still.)

Also, PLEASE joint Pennock's Fiero Forum. Ask those guys about your troubles and they will reply with haste, and with bounties of knowledge. CLICK HERE! GO NOW!

The Iron Duke...shit, they just CAN'T be killed. They may not run correctly, but they're always fixable. It is kind of sad, 2.5 liters, and less than a 100HP. :pop_corn:

If you want a killer motor swap...a 60*V6 is perfect. The L23 block (the 3.4L motor from base model F-bodies, 93-96) and you can easily do an LA1 or LX9 top swap, or mix and match parts from those two motors, throw in some nice forged pistons, an aggressive cam, port whatever heads you use, and LS6 springs and lifters work perfectly. But then again, I'm biased to 60*V6 power. ;)

' date='Nov 22 2010, 06:11 AM' post='41730']

But then again, I'm biased to 60*V6 power. :pop_corn:

With good reason! It's a great, fun and reliable engine family. I however have an Ecotec problem. Lol.

With good reason! It's a great, fun and reliable engine family. I however have an Ecotec problem. Lol.

The Ecotec is a stout motor. I'm used to the L61s because of the GAs, I have three friends with L61 powered GASEs. Peppy, reliable, and a huge aftermarket to play with, as well as interchangeability with the LSJ motor too. :pop_corn:

/GM nerd

• 2 weeks later...

The Iron Duke...shit, they just CAN'T be killed.

apparently they can be....

Also, PLEASE joint Pennock's Fiero Forum. Ask those guys about your troubles and they will reply with haste, and with bounties of knowledge. CLICK HERE! GO NOW!

ok, i tried to join but it said that i could not use my e-mail address. they said somthing about it being anonymous or somthing. its the same friggin e-mail i've got on this site!

some sites wont except gmail, google ect you probably need a yahoo, msn ect. try opening up one of those or if you have a work email that you can use.