Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

08 Grand Prix Upgrades

I want to upgrade my Grand Prix with some performance parts little by little. What are some small performance mods i can make? I have the base edition and 200HP is not cutting it. I've been looking around on some websites but it seems like the only performance mods they have are for the GXP, Help me out Please.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You best bet is to check out a forum specific thread for this, but I'd suggest for starters a tune, exhaust, CAI, better injectors, possibly wiring, upgrade your grounds, and so forth...

• Founders

I'd say start out with a CAI, then exhaust, then from there. I really think that's a good order because the CAI is not a too too difficult task to put in (depending on your engine) and will allow you to ease into things if your new to modding.

I'd say start out with a CAI, then exhaust, then from there. I really think that's a good order because the CAI is not a too too difficult task to put in (depending on your engine) and will allow you to ease into things if your new to modding.

:D

• Founders

sounds good thanks pfyc.com has some cold air intakes but it seems like they're all for the gxp will it fit on my car?

Really depends on the radius of the air intake tubes or the connector piece to the engine for air intake. I personally couldn't tell you because I don't know the radius' of either. I'm sure they give you the diameter or radius of the tubing and you just have to measure your existing tubing or input on the engine (depending on type of Intake)

Yes, you will need to check and see how big the piping on your car is vs. that of a GXP... if anything, you could always go to autozone and get universal parts that are the same size and build your own intake...

The best thing to do is bolt ons. Unfortinately, I dont think you can tune your GP. I dont think they made the software for the 3800 in 2008.

Buy a cheap intake on ebay, or make one from parts at Home Depot. Your throttle body and intake manifold opening is 75mm. Work off that. Make sure you make a FWI. Thats the best you could do, and one of the biggest/easiest upgrades to do to the car.

Next, open up that exhaust. Lucky you, there is no ubend. Exhaust should already be 2.5 so thats not bad. Id look into headers. Every person I know that got headers on their 3800 said they noticed a great deal of improvement.

Want to get a little more serious? Get a cam. Or an easier install, rockers. Gain more top end for a decent price. Now you can always throw on a supercharger from the L32, but I dont know whats all involved when doing this to an L26. But the easiest way with more gains, is to just save for a turbo. But again, you cant tune. Soooo... yeah.

• 2 months later...

sorry it took me so long to reply been very busy. still looking on getting more horsepower for my baby i just want to do little by little. if i put a new exhaust on it how will it sound? i want it to sound beefy will i get that from a v6? i have been looking on pfyc.com also im still waiting for my car to get back from gates. it will not be back for a couple more weeks. some ass ran a red light and hit me im doing better but my car isn't 10k to fix it up. one bullshit thing is that gates isn't going to paint the whole car only the side where it got hit. so one side is going to look great and the other is 2 years old with little swirl marks hopefully they take care of me.

Magnaflow makes an awesome catback for the L36 and L26 powered W-body GP's. The GM 90*V6's have a different sound compared to the 60*V6's I'm used to. Magnaflow and Borla sound awesome for sure.

• 2 months later...

I wouldnt say that all the stuff is for the GXP..there is stuff for the V6.

Get a FENDER WELL INTAKE..not a CAI. they have a fender well for like 100 bucks and it works better than a CAI.

next get a throttle body spacer, and a TB if they have one. and get yourself some free flowing exhaust.

PM me I can get you in touch with a few other things.

• 5 months later...

I'm fairly certian you can tune an 08 L26.

A used turbo kit is the way to go if your after quick easy power. 350whp with a turboed stock longblock isn't unheard of. With a good tune the n/a L26 or L36 can take over 500whp.

Then there's the transmission.. Turboed 3800s are rough on the trans. A stock open diff has been in the eights but thats about it as far as luck with the trans. I believe there were some revisions like a hardened 4th clutch hub in 05 and maybe some other things but the trans will need work.