Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

photo-thumb-1285.jpeg a little bit i gone try my best,but igome make some mistake some time for sure i whont to no if someone have pontiac catalina 65 hire i got one but i have small electric problem and i need to no if is hard to fix by my self is the power for the distributor i have 6volt i think and i need to put 12volt on it so i have to start one wire from the fuse box stait to the distributor aisy or hard to do please help thank i reed good but i right no to good sorry but i think you anderstant my thank-you i have pontiac granp-prix gt to for the winther good car to like to drink a lot of gaz but run fast so ok see you later and thank-you agains sir

• Founders

Ok better I can somewhat get the jist of what you're trying to say. Frosty or notallthere will be the best bet to answer this question so hold tight till they get a chance to see this and hopefully you'll get you're answer ;)

For 65 I thought they were all 12 Volt but I could be wrong. Coming from the distributor the wire usually travels around the block. Somewhere on there will be a small black block which is a fuseable link. They do have a tendency to burn out from time to time. Also check your wiring harness around your starter to your fuse block. If the wires have touched the exhaust there maybe more damage then just your distributor wire.

Good luck and welcome.

Bonjour, je parle un peu français, mais peut-être pas assez bon pour être très technique. Je vais donc essayer de répondre d'abord en anglais. Si vous ne me comprends pas complètement, alors je vais essayer d'utiliser Google Translate.

As notallthere said, '65 Catalinas should be 12 volt. What makes you think you have a 6-volt system? Can you post some pictures of your car and your problem? GM used "fusable" links, which often did just that, fuse or short out the wire. I have had my positive battery come in contact with the driver's side exhaust manifold and burn a hole in the installation and then it would short out the battery to ground when the bare wire came in contact with the metal manifold. I ended up having to re-route the battery cable. A Pontiac shop manual is often the best tool for an old car like this. I have several friends who own 62-69 Catalinas, so I know I can get you some help if I can more readily understand your problem.

• 1 month later...

The wire going to the distributer is actually something like 8 volts, they used a resister wire to drop voltage to the points to make them last longer with out burning up. You can look around and find a switched 12 volt(comes on with the key) and route it from there, you have to do this on any pre 73 car when you upgrade to the HEI electronic ignition.

• 4 weeks later...

ouff ok i am back, sorry take time to come back, but i am back, i am gone make a video of my car put on youtube, and you give mi the way to do the think to do, ouff again i try mi best for the englis, i have one on youtube but you dont see to good the place, i am gone make one special to see, mi problems ans i gone put the place to whach the video http://youtu.be/szMMt5NWL8s ok sorry for the stupid quastion, but juste to be sure what is mi engine, is it a 350 if you give me some infos, i be happy thanck-you everybody for the help, ps:i look better todays you will see the job i do not to bad, i am not a rich boys, but i do what i kent whit what i have, ok go to sleep 3am i am happy to see you back again, have a gooooooodddd tyme whit the nice waither, sorry for all the mystake, on mi letter thank-you again

welcometothetribe-1.gif The motor and interior looks great but any pics of the outside?

Grande recherche Catalina mon ami. Avez-vous des vidéos de l'extérieur de la voiture? J'ai plusieurs amis de mon club de voitures Pontiac qui possèdent Catalinas et Bonneville.

Où sommes-nous en mesure de répondre à votre question technique aussi? Avez-vous trouvé votre problème?

Translation:

Great looking Catalina my friend. Do you have any videos of the exterior of the car? I have several friends in my Pontiac car club who own Catalinas and Bonnevilles.

Where we able to answer your technical question too? Have you found your problem?

HELLO EVERYBODY AND :pontiac: FANS my baby hope you like got the same year born 65 like im but is more nice than my ouff i like to paint my face and wake up nice everydays nyce and young drean drean i an gone do whit what a have i be ok see you :pontiac: fans :dancingpontiac::Pedobear::lock: http://youtu.be/THufUKezHQc

hello all the :pontiac: fans i am back agains :Pedobear: , thank-you mister frosty :bowdown: , not to bad for old car, i work on it inches by inches :bump: , i like to do that, if is nothing more to do whit my :drool: , i try to make him nice, and happy whit is new life,i have question for the :pontiac: fans need helps, for my baby, fist problem back-fire sometime when i pusch the gaz a little hard :mod: , if i cant say that way i make proutt proutt :bump: dont like that to much, i chek the wire fron the distributor is ok 12 volt :bowdown: , i think this is ok, maybe the spak-plugs is the originales :dancingpontiac: i dont no, maybe the tymyng on the engine is not ok :bump: , the sound is ok very very good sound :Pedobear: , but the back-fires not everytime just when i pusch to much, not all the way but haff, of it something like that if i pusch slow is ok no back-fire, i dont think i hear when i pusch slow the gaz just whent i go fast :mod: , i hope you anderstant my a little bit, for my problem i need help, fron the :pontiac: fans whit my baby, thank-you everybody, need some answers ..... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: