Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

future project idea

well, heres an idea ive had for a while and here it goes

i want to take a 95-99 Sunfire GT, completely gut it to the bare shell, convert it to RWD and have a 350sbc for the power plant, while at the same time trying to keep the stock appearance, after i have my 03 finished, and my 01 sunfire sedan done the way i want, this will be my next project

thoughts?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

well, heres an idea ive had for a while and here it goes

i want to take a 95-99 Sunfire GT, completely gut it to the bare shell, convert it to RWD and have a 350sbc for the power plant, while at the same time trying to keep the stock appearance, after i have my 03 finished, and my 01 sunfire sedan done the way i want, this will be my next project

thoughts?

I always thought a RWD j-body would be epic. I would do it to a 82-87 Sunbird hatchback though because I'm crazy.

Ultimately if you have the time and money to do it, why not? Who cares what other people think. As long as you do it safely I see nothing wrong with it.

well it wouldnt be rushed thats for sure, i would do everything i have to to keep it road legal, and make it look as stock as possible, it would be a long project as im only 18, but i have a really good job, and the space/tools to do it, just need a donor car

• 1 month later...

Check into finding a 2wd S10 blazer frame for the swap they are close in wheelbase within a few inches. The v8 will drop in when using 4.3 litre mounts. No matter what the body will need surgery but it may save you engineering headaches with something like that.

I have seen several v8 cavaliers and the largest motor I have seen is a 572. If it is the same one I had seen there was an article where it blew the motor on the dyno.

502cavalier.jpg

Check into finding a 2wd S10 blazer frame for the swap they are close in wheelbase within a few inches. The v8 will drop in when using 4.3 litre mounts. No matter what the body will need surgery but it may save you engineering headaches with something like that.

I have seen several v8 cavaliers and the largest motor I have seen is a 572. If it is the same one I had seen there was an article where it blew the motor on the dyno.

502cavalier.jpg

That looks pretty good, seems like the hood and fenders were just stretched which shouldn't be too bad!

Notallthere is spot on about using a full frame to manage the torque a high performance small or big block will produce. I have heard of similar ideas, and it is very feasible. The downside is you will virtual have to re-engineer the entire car to do it. It not impossible, just expensive and time consuming, but not impossible. Let's look at some of the engineering tasks you have to accomplish:

1. Start with an existing frame/chassis (the S10 frame idea) or substantially strengthing the entire unibody - frame connector rails at a minumuim, mounting/strengthing points for the front and rear ends.

2. Mock-up the engine, transmission, driveshaft, and rear end. This will include building custom motor mounts (if you use stock unibody), modifying the fire wall, floor pans to to fit the transmission, driveshaft and rear end. You will also have to build the mounting points for the rear end (depending on if you use 3-link, 4-link system, panard bar, in addition to the coils, shocks, shackles, leaf springs, etc.)

3. Widening the rear wheel well tubs to manage wider rear tires. This may also impact the rear passenger seats.

4. Build/modify the front suspension to handle the higher weighter of the engine and drive train. Coil overs, struts, sway bar, etc.

5. Build a custom dual exhaust system, including custom headers since no one builds a header for your engine/car combination. You may also want to catalytic converters if you have to remain smog legal too.

6. A wider engine or if you decide to use rack and pinion steering may necessitate engine oil pan mods, steering shaft mods, and impact how you build your headers, It could also impact your steering set-up

7. New larger brakes front and back to bring this beast to a stop reliabily.

8. New electrical system that accomodates your new motor, transmission, gauges, lights, etc.

9. Engine compartment mods include a new radiator, electric fan (probably), move/alter mounting locations for the A/C condenser and transmission cooler.

10. Any corresponding sheet metal changes to accomodate the tires or other mods

11. Custom rear seats to manage any wheel tub mods

12. Complete body sealer, primer, paint sealer, and paint job top and bottom - back to a stock look or custom

13. Custom or modify gas tank and fuel system

14. New sound system?

So you have to be prepared for a project of this magnitude. It is hugely expensive but not an insermountable project. Conservatively speaking, I am willing to bet that you have less than 50% of the original car that will be left original or unaltered.