Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Searching for a Water Pump

Hi everyone! I am in a semi-desperate search for a water pump for my wife's 1950 Chieftain.  I have ordered, received and returned two now as for some reason it is believed by others that the car has a GM 305 in it.  The biggest problem that I have is that I married the woman after she already had the car and I don't know that much about it.  I am hoping that there is someone who knows what questions to ask me so I know what information I need to provide to facilitate finding this part.  Any help would be appreciated.  Or if anyone knows where the Land of Old Pontiac Parts is that would be helpful to as it does not show up on Google Earth. 

• Haha 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Yes, it still has the original flat head inline 8 cylinder.  I am working on learning how to post pictures and will get them on this thread as soon as possible.

• Like 1

indymanjoe, the original water pump is still on the engine.  I am looking for one because the bearing is shot and I am concerned about the impeller.  Does he rebuild them?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Located and purchased a water pump.  Weather permitting, it should arrive before next weekend.  As with any water pump replacement, I plan to flush the cooling system but not sure what type of antifreeze/coolant to use.  Anyone got a clue?  I have googled, but answers seem to be at odds with one another.

• 1 month later...

Hi Safetyart - you should be running a 268 CID flathead 8 running a Carter WCD 719/720 carb. That is what was stock for 1950.

I would think a 50/50 mix of water and polyalkylene glycol (green stuff like traditional Prestone) should be fine.  Your cooling system was designed long for the need for DEX-COOL or any of the more modern stuff.

I would also take the time to inspect your thermostat, and replace it, if necessary. Cheap insurance - especially if you have to drain the coolant any way. Another thing - consider pressure testing your radiator cap. Check with your local auto parts store. I would think they would have one to test it against. Replace it, if necessary.