Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Old Fiero Powerhouse in Pontiac (MI) demolished

Pontiac - The city of Pontiac started their weekend off with a bang, blowing up the old Pontiac Fiero Powerhouse Saturday morning.

Part of the Fisher Body Plant that helped build the Pontiac Fiero GT, the powerhouse was closed in the 1980's. Located on the southeast corner of Baldwin Avenue and East Kennett, the building went down around 8:30 a.m..

Unlike past demolitions that left something to be desired (looking at you Silverdome), this implosion went off without a hitch.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/old-fiero-powerhouse-in-pontiac-demolished

Another piece of the "old" Pontiac complex is now lost to the wrecking ball. As JUSTA6 and I know from personal experience, much of the 'old Pontiac' complex' has been torn down. In some cases, it has made way for new things - like a new Post Office and sorting center. However, it most cases, it has been torn down to reduce the property tax burden. In fact, it's ironic that on the corner of Baldwin Road and Columbia Ave a U Pull and Save Auto Parts wrecking yard now resides - where a new car factory once stood.

Edited by Frosty
  • Sad 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 3 weeks later...

I worked on several construction projects at the PMD site from 2014 to 2018.  The site's history still fascinates me.  The only production building left is Plant 14, it's a stamping plant now.  The administration and engineering buildings are now home of GM's Global Propulsion Systems, which used to be called GM Powertrain and 3,000 of those employees were moved to the Warren Tech Center earlier this year.

• Like 1

I worked at the Administration and Engineering buildings from 1998 to 2006, when it was called GM Powertrain. I moved there right after closing Buick City in Flint.

I hired in to plant 9 (engine plant) in 1977.   My wife worked at Fischer body (then soon to be renamed the fiero plant). There were miles of steam tunnels connecting the plants as well as the overhead body transfer from Fischer to PMD.   I would cross to see her on our breaks/lunch.  All about knowing where the cameras were and how to get around them.  They used to let us bring in parts, tag them and hand off to my contact in plating.  Many of the Sunbirds brackets/valve covers ect were PMD chrome plated and still look perfect today. 

Edited by JUSTA6