Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Generation Y, apparently not about cars

Ringo64

• Founders

Selling cars to young adults under 30 is proving to be a real challenge for automakers. Unlike their elders, Generation Yers own fewer cars and don’t drive much. They’re likely to see autos as a source of pollution, not as a sex or status symbol.

Motorists aged 21 to 30 now account for 14% of miles driven, down from 21% in 1995.

They’re more apt to ride mass transit to work and use car sharing services -- pioneered by Zipcar -- for longer trips. And car sharing choices are expanding, with car rental firms moving into the market, making it convenient for young folks to rent with hourly rates and easy insurance. Connect by Hertz, for example, is rolling out its car sharing services in the New York metropolitan area, with plans to eventually expand them to around 40 college campuses nationwide.

The trend won’t cause car sales to tank, of course, but the generational shift doesn’t bode well for manufacturers and auto dealers, which for decades have counted on wooing young new drivers to their brands in hopes of cementing lifetime customer relationships.

Gen Yers are a big potential market: At 80 million strong, they represent the biggest generation in U.S. history. Baby boomers are a close second, but millions of them begin turning 65 next year -- an age at which car purchases drop off sharply.

“It’s a matter of mind-set far more than affordability,” says William Draves, president of Learning Resources Network, an association that studies consumer trends and provides education and training services.

“This generation focuses its buying on computers, BlackBerrys, music and software and views commuting a few hours by car a huge productivity waste when they can work using PDAs while taking the bus and train,” says Draves.

Moreover, in survey after survey, Gen Yers say that they believe cars are damaging to the environment. Even hybrid electric vehicles don’t seem to be changing young consumers’ attitudes much.

Well I just say balderdash! I love cars and spend a good chunk of my time with them. All I got to say is make fast cars and I will continue to buy them :rofl:

GM has surely and will surely make more than its money on me :lol:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

HA! I drive EVERYWHERE! (ask my odo)

Though, I can see where they are coming from. Everyone I know always is trying to car pool and crap, ugh I hate carpooling! I'd rather drive by myself.

Luckily for me, 85% of my friends are heavily involved with the car hobby.

I have the few "hipster" friends, that sometimes shun me for owning a modded car and being car savvy. I just make fun of them. :lol2:

"MY CAR HAS EXHAUST! MOAR CARBONZ FOR YOUS!" *clap clap clap*

But working in a shop, in a rather ritzy, snobby part of LI, I see these gen Y losers and lol. These kids never tip me, give me the stink eye, and talk to me like I'm a con artist because I'm some "dirty" mechanic.

Call me old school, but I hate the fact that I'm apart of "gen Y". Damn kids. College gets you a fancy degree, but it doesn't seem to give you retards common sense.

Damn youngens need a beatin I tell ya.

Dang notallthere, I didn't know you had it in ya'! Dang whipper snappers! Don't they know the open road is good for 'em? So chuck the PDA. get out there, burn some hydro carbons and see the country.

It is clear the increase in the aforementioned faggotry is directly proportional to the decrease in the number of automobile enthusiasts. I'm a Gen Y'er and unlike my fellow constituents, I am an avid car enthusiast AND pimpin' enthusiast (of bitches). I noticed this in my elementary school years of the 90's and I've seen a marked increase ever since. You never see fvcking queers in a sweet, loud, fast and big hairy American V8 as well as other fast and pimpin' vehicles. They drive the limpwristed, slackjawed faggin' wagons. I also noticed a noticeable drifting of hot bitches away from the studly athlete (ME) to girly, metrosexual queers in camo. We are seeing the beginning of the end of mankind, the continued degradation of the straight manly man (who also happens to be the most intelligent, innovative, hardworking and adversity defying human with greatest capacity for leadership to ever exist). Once we are gone, the world will implode. It's true because I'm right, I'm right because it's science. I drink beer, drive fast, lift weights and fvck bitches. Therfore, I am all that is MAN.

NOTE: Gayness is not directly linked to 4 bangers and six cylinder cars, but to the lack of attitude, rawness, meanness, cocky demeanor and overall "If you keep mugging me, my agent orange is gonna start flaring up and I'm gonna get the itch to start killing people" factor. There are several models of vehicles other than a V8 from which the alpha male aura emanates. The rest are for beta males.

Edit 1.0: Let it be known that I have nothing against homosexuals, I just hate the buttfvcking, ugly lesbians and hot lesbians who won't let me join in on the fun (if they exist).

• Founders
' date='Sep 21 2010, 10:50 PM' post='37054']

Call me old school, but I hate the fact that I'm apart of "gen Y". Damn kids. College gets you a fancy degree, but it doesn't seem to give you retards common sense.

:lol2: Apart from computers and technology that gives me my degree and my job now, I have to say I grew up with the wrong generation (born at the wrong time lol). I hate the music, I hate their attitudes, I hate a good chunk of what makes "Gen Y" and I absolutely love cars!

I do heavily agree with Chris that a degree does not make you better than anyone, I will have one (at the end of this school year) but I got a job because I work hard and know my stuff not because a little piece of paper said I did. Experience is what puts you into the real world, unless you put to use the stuff you learned its not worth the paper your degree is printed on.

and I don't know whether to agree or what to moonpies so we'll go with this little guy :blink:

:lol2:

I don't know whether to agree or what to moonpies so we'll go with this little guy :lol2:

:blink:

My agent orange is acting up.

It is clear the increase in the aforementioned faggotry is directly proportional to the decrease in the number of automobile enthusiasts. I'm a Gen Y'er and unlike my fellow constituents, I am an avid car enthusiast AND pimpin' enthusiast (of bitches). I noticed this in my elementary school years of the 90's and I've seen a marked increase ever since. You never see fvcking queers in a sweet, loud, fast and big hairy American V8 as well as other fast and pimpin' vehicles. They drive the limpwristed, slackjawed faggin' wagons. I also noticed a noticeable drifting of hot bitches away from the studly athlete (ME) to girly, metrosexual queers in camo. We are seeing the beginning of the end of mankind, the continued degradation of the straight manly man (who also happens to be the most intelligent, innovative, hardworking and adversity defying human with greatest capacity for leadership to ever exist). Once we are gone, the world will implode. It's true because I'm right, I'm right because it's science. I drink beer, drive fast, lift weights and fvck bitches. Therfore, I am all that is MAN.

NOTE: Gayness is not directly linked to 4 bangers and six cylinder cars, but to the lack of attitude, rawness, meanness, cocky demeanor and overall "If you keep mugging me, my agent orange is gonna start flaring up and I'm gonna get the itch to start killing people" factor. There are several models of vehicles other than a V8 from which the alpha male aura emanates. The rest are for beta males.

Edit 1.0: Let it be known that I have nothing against homosexuals, I just hate the buttfvcking, ugly lesbians and hot lesbians who won't let me join in on the fun (if they exist).

I want to buy this man a six pack.

I honestly wanted to be ruthless, but Moon beat me to it, or more so, did it before I could edit mine.

I agree tenfold. Now, time to get some bitches.

WORD!!!

:lol2:

you silly kids :blink:

Ok so from my point of view.......... im a kid of babyboomers. :rofl:

The foreign cars have forced the industry to build the same kind of boaring cars thay make. The american brands still knew how to bring the sexy. And we fell :lol2: now our goverment wants us to build the same boaring cars. I say............

I mad as hell and im not goint to take it any more! :lol2:

bring back the sexy! and it looks like WE the american brands are starting to do so!

camaro,vette zr1, cts v, the new regal, challenger, stang, tarus sho ect.

yes we will have to tubo smaller engins ect.. but were still gona keep bringing the sexy!

and yes well make some boaring cars too and sneak in the sexy. :rofl:

I am a GenX child and I get along better with people closer to my parents age (53-58) The one thing that I have learned is not to immediately label everyone. Not every person 10 years younger than me is a moron. This article is a broad brushed statement. At the same time when some youths that I know have a car, built it up to be reliable get their insurance statement of $550.00 per month can they really afford to drive.

If you gentlemen care to enlighten yourselves with the finest literature in the common era, purchase a copy of "The Alphabet of Manliness". It's an excellent piece and will be known miillenia from now as the manual for the perpetuation of the human species.

This is so back woods redneck ignorant to say. Personally i am heterosexual but i have a friend who is gay. He has 2 1970's muscle cars that are full air ride resto mods and used for autoX. And his dd is a variation of BMWs. All newish and all custom built FI.

You sir are an ass hat, but it is probs not your fault. You must have had something happen to you in your development to think like this... Sorry for what happened to you.

This is so back woods redneck ignorant to say. Personally i am heterosexual but i have a friend who is gay. He has 2 1970's muscle cars that are full air ride resto mods and used for autoX. And his dd is a variation of BMWs. All newish and all custom built FI.

You sir are an ass hat, but it is probs not your fault. You must have had something happen to you in your development to think like this... Sorry for what happened to you.

With respect to your opinion, you're confusing me with someone who gives a fvck. I guess we need a sarcasm font for those with a fourth grade reading level. Am I moving too quickly for you? What about that post made any sense whatsoever? It's pretty hard to take that seriously. I made baseless accusations, it was full of obscene remarks and was littered with delusions of grandeur. No, I'm not an ass hat, I'm an asshole. Fvcking douche nozzle.

And I want to reiterate, I did make it explicitly known I do not hate homosexuals.