Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

The paint is burning off of my motor in the same place on both sides of the engine and I was just wondering if this is a common thing or if something is wrong, if it’s something wrong any suggestions on how to fix it.

C82BF682-FEF5-4ADE-B974-A17360483DFD.jpeg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I'm afraid so, this is pretty typical of Pontiac V8 engines. Even if you use something like VHT's High Temperature paint, this will eventually happen. The problem usually starts at the Siamese inner exhaust ports but it will eventually spread to all the exhaust ports. It will stop about 1/3 to 1/2 up the heads. It just looks funky and not as neat as you'd like it to be - especially since you went to the trouble of painting the heads to make them look pretty in the first place.

I've heard that famous Pontiac restoration guru Scott Tiemann has some secret paint formula that prevents or highly resists this, but....

1. This is not your normal, high temperature, off the shelf formula rattle can or commercially available paint gun paint, it's a formula he's developed.

2. You have to pay Scott to paint your engine if you want it. I have not read where he's shared the formula.

Edited by Frosty

Eastwood, brush on silver exhaust paint will solve your problem.  Same prob with all Pontiac V8's as Frosty said.  I touched up my exhaust manifolds last spring.  Paintwork had to be 6-7 years old at least.  Awesome stuff, quick N easy fix when needed.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Thebuddhaman said:

Thanks for the help hopefully it doesn’t go much higher than it is.

Always happy to help somebody out.

13 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Eastwood, brush on silver exhaust paint will solve your problem.  Same prob with all Pontiac V8's as Frosty said.  I touched up my exhaust manifolds last spring.  Paintwork had to be 6-7 years old at least.  Awesome stuff, quick N easy fix when needed.

JUSTA, you need to show me this the next time I am with you and the Goat. This is a new one on me.

I've heard of Corvette and Chevy guys painting their ram's horn exhaust manifolds Testors model paint gold so when it gets hot, it changes to the correct shade.

No need to worry this is normal on any Pontiac that is driven.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        The cross over on the intake suffers the same effect over time                                                                                                                                                                                                                       It's like a badge of honer so wear it well!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 There are a few tricks but no magic bullet that will last on any car that is truly driven, on and off a trailer doesn't count ;)                                                                                                               The sliver heat paint mentioned is a very good method of slowing the process.

DRIVEN.jpg

On 3/14/2018 at 5:17 PM, SPRINT 6 said:

No need to worry this is normal on any Pontiac that is driven.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        The cross over on the intake suffers the same effect over time                                                                                                                                                                                                                       It's like a badge of honer so wear it well!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 There are a few tricks but no magic bullet that will last on any car that is truly driven, on and off a trailer doesn't count ;)                                                                                                               The sliver heat paint mentioned is a very good method of slowing the process.

DRIVEN.jpg

Thanks for the tip

• 7 months later...

I have yet to see a driven Pontiac engine without this issue. I have tried many paints, I cannot find any Pontiac colors that do not burn.

When I arrive at a show, the trick is to pop the hood and use a paper funnel to spot spray paint these spots before judging or displaying the car. Takes about 2 minutes and it looks like you have the magic formula that never darkens.