Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Well, not a very good day today. What started as an odd, out of the blue problem, turned into a serious problem.

My GA had a misfire on cylinder #3 in the morning. Dunno why at first. Just the P0303 code in the PCM. So, I tried replacing the plug. To which, I also noticed it wasn't on tight. (WTF?!)

New plug, but still missed.

Alright, tried a new wire. Nope, still missed.

I then swapped the coils around. Cylinder 3 still missed. Now I was at a loss. So I brought it down by my buddy's shop.

After him doing some quick checks on the ignition, fuel, that was fine. But the plug had oil residue on it. Also, cylinder 3 had lost serious compression. Not looking good. He says he wants to crack open the valve cover, and see what's causing the leak, but the head may need to be rebuilt.

Not looking good. And considering the GA is worth $2400 on a good day, I'm fucked as far as getting any value from the GA.

Bloody hell.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. I'm also leaning towards a head gasket issue too, as I've heard the early signs are what I'm going through.

It's odd, the older L82's are known for headgaskets, not the LA1.

Oy...still no word about the car yet either.

it might be a lower intake gasket too. look for something along the easier lines. doesnt always have to be the worst possible thing. i thought the head gasket went on my old GPGTP and it was only the lower intake gasket. cost 230 dollars and 5 hours of my time. and thats cause i was cleaning out the intake and the tb. and the supercharger.

The guy doesn't mind helping.

The LIM gasket has been changed before, and this is the same guy who helped me fix the LIM gasket.

But I'm stuck with the GA for the time being, getting a car loan is out of the question, and the car's value blows.

Honestly, depending on the outcome of the repairs, this is going to determine the car's fate as far as more mods go.

' date='May 10 2010, 07:36 PM' post='24295']

The guy doesn't mind helping.

The LIM gasket has been changed before, and this is the same guy who helped me fix the LIM gasket.

But I'm stuck with the GA for the time being, getting a car loan is out of the question, and the car's value blows.

Honestly, depending on the outcome of the repairs, this is going to determine the car's fate as far as more mods go.

If it's a head gasket, valve, or head DIY.

I would, but his labor rates, and part prices are unreal.

This guy helped me out with my LIM repair, for $250.

He's been telling me that it's no more than $400, or at least, that's the max I'll pay. He's helped out my family numerous times before.

' date='May 10 2010, 07:57 PM' post='24303']

I would, but his labor rates, and part prices are unreal.

This guy helped me out with my LIM repair, for $250.

He's been telling me that it's no more than $400, or at least, that's the max I'll pay. He's helped out my family numerous times before.

A solid days' worth of work > $400

It's already 12 miles from my house at his shop, I'm not risking driving it anymore. And I don't have the money for a tow. I get money on Friday, and the car is staying there until Friday regardless.

This guy has torn apart these motors more than I have. For how quickly we tore apart the motor for LIM repair, I feel okay with the car in his hands.

' date='May 10 2010, 08:10 PM' post='24308']

It's already 12 miles from my house at his shop, I'm not risking driving it anymore. And I don't have the money for a tow. I get money on Friday, and the car is staying there until Friday regardless.

This guy has torn apart these motors more than I have. For how quickly we tore apart the motor for LIM repair, I feel okay with the car in his hands.

Well in that case, peace of mind>headache lol

Exactly. This guy certainly gives me that. It's just the money that pains me. But I was pricing out anywhere else, shops around here gave me estimates of +$1000, and half of those were just telling me, "Well, sounds like you need a new motor,"

Yeah fucking right.

My tech says it's repairable, and won't be more than $400. I've always gone to him if I can't fix something.

Have someone torch it.

Get insurance money.

Not even worth it.

Not to mention, I have quite a few parts on it that I know people would scramble for in a heartbeat. My headlights being the main attraction.

' date='May 10 2010, 09:48 PM' post='24359']

Not even worth it.

Not to mention, I have quite a few parts on it that I know people would scramble for in a heartbeat. My headlights being the main attraction.

Scrounge up 400 bucks and let dude fix it for you... sell some mods if you have to, those can be replaced at a later date...

' date='May 11 2010, 12:48 AM' post='24359']

Not even worth it.

You talking about these lights for $68.00?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-05-PONTI...sQ5fAccessories

They may be worth less than you think.

This is a crumby buzz!

its my least favourite part of owning and modding cars

determining the overall value vs. upkeep

but erat is right ebay makes it hard to get money out of things like headlights

but i say if you can trust your tech. and the car is worth it to you.. fix it!!

Alright, my tech cracked open the valve cover and found the issue.

Intake valve is stuck shut. And leaky guide seals is the oily plug issue culprit.

All in all, I'm being charged $150 for the repair. He found a donor motor to use and recondition the intake and exhaust valves, springs, lifters and new seals.

Phew...

good to here man!!

thats better then 400!

and even better then like 2000!!

nice to know there are still techs around who can find the problem.. not just give a solution!