Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1980 Trans Am Engine Swap

Ay quick question. I have a 1980 Trans Am that I took a 301 turbo out.. we’ll I also had a nice BBC 454 engine in my garage.. I wanted to know if you recommend engine swapping it and if it would work.. I looked online and most of the people said that just changing the engine mounts would work.. any recommendations or people you can recommend me that have done it? Thank you.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

It will work but you will need to use upper and lower motor mounts from an early 2nd gen Camaro (396/402 car). Also, the transmission will need to be changed since the 301 engine has the BOP (Buick-Olds-Pontiac) bolt pattern and you are switching to a Chevrolet engine and bolt pattern.  Depending on the transmission you use, you may have to move the transmission cross member back or get a new one. Depending on the overall length of the engine and the transmission, you may have to shorten your driveshaft too.

Next consider upgrading your stock front suspension to a heavier duty front set of springs and shocks for the added weight of the BBC. Also consider upgrading your brakes. If you are adding a lot of giddy up go, you need to add whoo. Lastly, you are going to add a set of sub-frame connectors to help keep the uni-body from twisting, aren't you?

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Good points Frosty, BUT..... Everything on the Chevy is backwards from Pontiac.  Starter on the wrong side, (usually battery too) fuel , plumbing on the wrong side, same with electrical.   Justa sayin, this was all redone to get rid of the Chevy in my GTO and put the Pontiac heart back in.

• Like 1

Thanks Frosty for the imput ! And JUSTA6 you’re right... the 454 is flipped compared to the 301. I noticed when I saw the fuel pump on the left side on the BB and on the right on the 301. 

Frosty; I have a 350 trans that goes with the engine

41FCEBA8-A54A-4005-966F-DBF529D173E3.jpeg

22E56365-320A-4D74-A3DA-F3DBE4B9D3BA.jpeg

Not that it can't be done,  Justa pointin out some of the unnoticed part of the swap.   Would much rather see a 455 going in there, but looks like you have a good start already.  Your radiator won't work as well.   Good Luck.

Edited by JUSTA6

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

Also consider upgrading your brakes. If you are adding a lot of giddy up go, you need to add whoo.

PFFFT brakes are for quiters

I understand I would much rather have a 455 in that car too JUSTA6, but as a 17-year-old working part time, I can't afford to put money into another engine. The 454 ran before it was pulled and I basically cleaned it up, painted it, and dressed it up. If I can contact you and you could give me pointers, that would be great.