Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Well here's the the full story of what happened yesterday.... :agreed:

So as some of you might know.... my 6 is not so great right now....

Yesterday as the wife an I were getting ready to take my daughter for dinner for her bday... I go to wait for them in the car, I noticed the warning "check tire pressure" light was on.... so I decide to take it a cross the street to the gas staiton and fill up the tire while my girls finished getting ready..... BAD IDEA!!!!

It had just poured for about 45 min to an hr straight right before and I mean heavy ass rain... it even hailed... anyhow.... the main street NEVER gets flooded when it rains.... well that was UNTIL yesterday....

The whole north bound lanes were beyond flooded but I tought to myself well If I flip a u and pull right into the gas station I'll be good to go... if I make a left hand turn I ran the risk of staying in an unknow depth of water for a while since trafick was all backed up... The only thing going through my mind was the tail pipe.... obviously the other end never crossed my mind...

So I thought... if I gun it when the light turns I wont let the waterget in to the tail pipe... AGAIN not thinking about the intake.... sure enough when the light turns green I gun it and as soon as I do I dont even make it half ways when the 6 just dies im like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Im stuck in a deep ass puddle/river.... it was a about 6" deep on the low side (driver) and it must have been a good 8 or 9" on the deep side.... For a while I was just a sitting duck... a lot of peeps would just pass by with out offering to help and when my bro inlaw show up then a bunch of peeps were offering to help som had chains others had tow staps... I was like thanks but no thanks to the ones with chains and tow straps for obvious reasons....

To make matters a lil worse when the car died so did the steering so I didnt quite make the turn... I slightly hit the curb with the lower part of the front bumper so pushing forward din't doo squat!!! I was like just great thins thing is LOCKED.... but then we tried pushing it back and it moves... thats how I knew I hit the curb....

With the help of 2 good samaritans and my bro inlaw we get the 6 on to higher ground and a passer by goes pop ypur hood, so I do. He said there's your problem.... you're intake!!! I was in denial at first I'm like NO WAY... it wasn't THAT deep so I began to pull it apart and sure enough it's full of water!!!!

We left it there parked for a few hours and went to dinner when we got back I hit a frind of mine to help me push it to the house which is technically right a cross the steet.... but NOOOOOOOOO it's not quite THAT simple... to get to my house from the gas station... you either have to go a block north then flip a U.... or you can head west and go completely around the block... the only problem with option one which seemed like the easiest.... is that it's a very busy street and there is only 2 of us that are gonna do the pushing.... so my friend suggested pulling me home... well first we air up the tire.... then I was like F it lets do it.... This time though I have more time to think about things and the ONLY way I can get pulled is by taking off the bumper and pulling from the support bar which we did... Now I have it sitting in the driveway waiting for me to get home...

As ANDY kindly suggested... I will drain the oil take out the plugs.... crank to blow the water from the plugs... and someone else suggested using STARTING fluid to burn off any remaining water..... I really hope I didn't seriously phuck anything up or have a short anywhere.... There is a wierd message/warning on the DIC that says... Charger Parked or Changer Parked... WTF does that mean????

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK MAAAAAAAAAI LIIIIIIIIFE!!!!

*cliff notes*

Heavy rain caused streets to flood

Stupid decion made to attempt to cross the river by gunning it

6 dies in the middle of the river

pulled the CAI to reveal the bad news... sucked up water

had to get pulled home

attempt to revive the 6 per Andys suggestion.

FML!!!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever had this happen to them and how did you fix the issue? Thanks in advance for any help.

This is what happened if you don't already know... Click me!!! scroll down a bit.

• Founders

Oh shit! That sucks man! I don't even want to think about the damage that could have happened. Not a good sign that everything seized up, I hate to say that but good luck! I really hope theres not a huge amount of damage!

OOOO man im sooo sorry man! :agreed::lol2::(

Im going to see on of the techs right now for any help. BRB I hope.

Oh shit! That sucks man! I don't even want to think about the damage that could have happened. Not a good sign that everything seized up, I hate to say that but good luck! I really hope theres not a huge amount of damage!

:agreed:

OOOO man im sooo sorry man! :lol2::(:(

Im going to see on of the techs right now for any help. BRB I hope.

thanks Joe!!!

The above novel WAS the update... :agreed:

I'm at work right now but Joe is getting some info for me from the techs to see what I can do to try to revive my baby...

Hello,

My name is Erik I'm saturn Tech, I just had a car that went through water, and was able to save the motor, your right about pulling the plugs and draining the oil, I did 3 oil chages to get most of the water out, I did replace the plugs, I had a few misfires Good luck

Any question feel free to ask

Erik

cant say that its happened to me, however, you do have some options assuming the motor is still salvageable, you can pull the plugs and use a shopvac with a straw on the attachment and suck the water out if there is any from the combustion chambers, another option would be to completely remove the intake manifold upper and lower from the cylinder heads and do the same thing there.

Once all the remaining water is gone, really all you can do is just try to start the car of course after changing the oil.

first thing is :SMACK for flooring it when you were in water....

Second thing is you should always go SLOW in water

Third thing is that WATER DOES NOT COMPRESS!!!! DO NOT TRY AND BURN WATER OUT!!! (whoever sadi that is an idiot)

Remove your spark plugs and crank the engine over... if you have already tried to crank the motor over and if you hydrolocked the motor it is prob done for. The piston rods with break before you can compress taht water.

leave the spark plugs out and see if you can get something in the hole to remove teh rest of the water.

damn... there is too much to type... what is your cellphone number.... PM Me

Third thing is that WATER DOES NOT COMPRESS!!!! DO NOT TRY AND BURN WATER OUT!!! (whoever sadi that is an idiot)

Remove your spark plugs and crank the engine over... if you have already tried to crank the motor over and if you hydrolocked the motor it is prob done for. The piston rods with break before you can compress taht water.

leave the spark plugs out and see if you can get something in the hole to remove teh rest of the water.

Hello,

My name is Erik I'm saturn Tech, I just had a car that went through water, and was able to save the motor, your right about pulling the plugs and draining the oil, I did 3 oil chages to get most of the water out, I did replace the plugs, I had a few misfires Good luck

Any question feel free to ask

Erik

:agreed:

:lol2:

Thanks Joe, Erik, Ryan and Jake.... I will do this when I get home and keep you guys updated!

Yes I do deserve to get smacked!!! hate to admit it but I should have listened to the wife.... when I told her my tire was low she said well let's just take MY car and like a dumbass I was like no I'll just go air it up....

nothing happened like you turned teh key and there was no power or nothing happened like it craked over and didnt start/ locked up....

Like just heard a click but no crank... all lights work...

might want to check ALLL your fuses also, no telling what all shorted out

on another note, love the car, im def nominating you for POTM for may

Will do and thanks :(

take the plugs out and rotate the engine BY HAND FIRST and THEN try the starter WITH THE COIL UNPLUGGED as sometimes you can damage a coil by it not being all hooked up properly

what i think the person meant by using the starting fluid to get the water out, is basically the same idea as putting rubbing alchohol (isopropyl or whatever) in the tank to soak up the water, which alcohol can do.

but i dont think they meant to run the engine with it, but simply spray it into the spark plug holes to dry things up.

and yeah you will probably have to change the oil a couple times before its back right if you didnt bend or break a rod or piston.

if the engine rotates freely though, you have a good chance you didnt break anything... but it doesnt mean you dont have a slightly bend connecting rod....

take the plugs out and rotate the engine BY HAND FIRST and THEN try the starter WITH THE COIL UNPLUGGED as sometimes you can damage a coil by it not being all hooked up properly

what i think the person meant by using the starting fluid to get the water out, is basically the same idea as putting rubbing alchohol (isopropyl or whatever) in the tank to soak up the water, which alcohol can do.

but i dont think they meant to run the engine with it, but simply spray it into the spark plug holes to dry things up.

and yeah you will probably have to change the oil a couple times before its back right if you didnt bend or break a rod or piston.

if the engine rotates freely though, you have a good chance you didnt break anything... but it doesnt mean you dont have a slightly bend connecting rod....

Here's a NoOb question for you... how do I turn the engine by hand?

mover all the posts to your "My 6 is dead, sucked in water through the intake!!!" thread just makes more sense to keep it all in one thread. :(