Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Just Bought A 1993 Trans Am

Hey, I'm new to this forums looking for advice how to mechanically make this car better slog with looks. Can't seem to find a good hood to replace it also, it has the stock V8 5.7L LT1 and I was curious if it would be better to put a LS inside. Any help would be nice. ?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Welcome to FP! :welcome: Congrats on your 1993 TA, first year of the fourth gen Firebird. I don't have the answers to your questions, but I'm sure other members will be by shortly with some help.

...oh, and we like to look at pictures here so... :PICS:

• Founders

:welcomeFP:

An LS1 or LS2 would be a good upgrade from an LT1, question would be what is your budget? The LT1 isn't the best V8 motor that GM has put out recently, to be honest. What transmission do you have in the bird?

It really depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want to shread the loving stuffing outta your tires. Then LS would be an option. If you want to just pick up a few extra ponies and go cruising then stay with the LT1. Those motors are pretty good with 330-370hp and fairly drivable. LS would involve wiring, transmission, new motor and mounts so you would be turning about 4-5k for one in the car.

If you did go LS get a donor car. 1998-2002 F body to make life easier.

I picked this car for $3900 and not sure if that was a good price for it. Only issue is it has scratches on the top which can be painted to fix. I want this week car to perform in a quarter mile. It's sadly an auto I haven't learned to drive manual yet but my next car may be a manual so I can finally learn. My budget is about 5k for the engine and 2k for the looks.

Thanks, that was what I was looking at and considering, do you know a good place to find and purchase body parts. I want to change the hood for this car and find a replacement front bumper. Probably be able to get a bumper at a local car dump though.

• Founders

If you're looking for a normal OEM body part, the local junk yard may be your best bet for the cheapest. If you're looking for aftermarket, there are a few around.

One other thing to consider, for a future resale value, is this the original LT1 engine and matching numbers transmission. If you plan to make it a race car, then by all means do what you want. If you plan to keep it streetable and eventually sell it for top dollar, keeping the original matching engine and transmission together is best.

If you are looking for a more aggressive hood, look at the Ram Air factory hoods. They allow for more air and aggressive air intake systems.

• Like 1

I just want to say thanks for the help. It's nie talking to people who know what I'm talking about. Most of my friends drive rice rockets. ? But I am keeping it in mind that if I want to resell it then placing a new engine wouldn't help unless selling it to someone into racing which would be harder to find but it would sell.

Honestly stepping up the camshaft, then slightly larger injecters, and an air intake can net about 30 hp and only cost 700.00. Look at getting the transmission a shift kit and switch out to urethane mounts on the motor and the trans. The weak spot on these cars were the keeping the rear axle on the ground during hard acceleration. UMI performance makes some really nice parts to help that are fairly inexpensive.

Tim Allen Designs have a 500 hp Impala SS and I believe most of the parts are still on the market.

• Like 1

Here is what a stock Ram AIr hood should look like:

Picture194-1.jpg

Add a proper factory style Ram Air air cleaner and K&N filter:

100_0115.jpg

What do you know? Its even a LT1 under the hood!!!! How about that.....

• Like 1

Here is what a stock Ram AIr hood should look like:

Picture194-1.jpg

Add a proper factory style Ram Air air cleaner and K&N filter:

100_0115.jpg

What do you know? Its even a LT1 under the hood!!!! How about that.....

Reminds me of this Firebird commercial (click on the YouTube icon in the bottom right... you have to watch it on YouTube for some reason)

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThEp700mc1s

Honestly stepping up the camshaft, then slightly larger injecters, and an air intake can net about 30 hp and only cost 700.00. Look at getting the transmission a shift kit and switch out to urethane mounts on the motor and the trans. The weak spot on these cars were the keeping the rear axle on the ground during hard acceleration. UMI performance makes some really nice parts to help that are fairly inexpensive.

Tim Allen Designs have a 500 hp Impala SS and I believe most of the parts are still on the market.

The late John Lingenfelter did basically what notallthere has suggested (well... maybe a few extra tweaks, lol) and got your 4th gen to run high 12's...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1XyDK7W5nI

I'm thinking about selling my polished C6 rims what do you guys think I should sell them for? Also have some Painted C6 and selling those after the polished. Want to get some better looking rims for my car. Any idea?