Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Xbox One VS. PS4

Ringo64

• Founders

As most of you that are into gaming have seen there is quite an uproar in the console wars this time around and there is a lot of hate towards Microsoft, some of it I think is misdirected and "change is bad" mentality, which may be right. Might turn a little heated here but here is a couple thing that myself and another developer at work talked about briefly as we waited for someone in a meeting this morning:

Microsoft is really wanting the Xbox One to be that "bridge" into an all digital world, aka the "Steam model", where you have no game disks or tangle items but download ALL games/software. This has been a PC software/gaming issue for a while, how do you keep your software licensed and make sure people aren't pirating it? "I know, we'll force them to check in online!" It's not a new idea in the gaming or software world but is in the console world. Heck, your Windows/Mac OS checks it's license key daily and if you don't go online for a couple months it limits you in it's capabilities. (my work's software, which customers pay anywhere from tens of thousands to multi-million dollars for, has a daily license key check as well)

This evil Software License is also what keeps the price of games/software down, as you technically do not "own" anything apart from the plastic container, disk and paper, you are renting the software and data as long as you meet the contract terms provided by the publisher. This is how it worked in the past too, you may not have even had the rights to resell or distribute an old N64 game, depending on the publisher but because there was no internet or mass protection it was ignored. This is how all software works and unfortunately as the ease of digital media sharing increases, the more publishers have to protect their software from being stolen (used without permission).

Microsoft I think went a little too much like the PC market with it's DRM (but hey they're originally a PC company) and could have eased this transition a little better but like the article I posted last night, the PS4 3rd party publishers can do the same thing with their games if they so desire to implement. We're heading into a whole new world of technology Ladies & Gents, brace yourselves!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Meh, I don't care really. I'm a PC gamer and have been since I first played the original Command & Conquer with my older brother when I was 5 years old

I'm not buying an Xbox One. The whole "no used games" feature pisses right the hell off, not to mention, no reverse playability.

I haven't been into Sony since the last days of the PS2, the more I see the specs and features of the PS4, the more I'm tempted to jump ship once they're released.

Plus, how much longer will the 360 stay afloat after the new console? I have a feeling they'll slowly force their users to Xbox One, that will piss me off if I can't play Forza 4 online anymore.

• Founders

They did (or are going to) release a new 360 so I at least till 2016ish, my guess, that 360 servers will be up but that does not mean individual game server's publisher won't shut them down. After all buying 360 games is a $60/game money source still.

Meh, I don't care really. I'm a PC gamer and have been since I first played the original Command & Conquer with my older brother when I was 5 years old

been playing most of my games on the PC as well..

i have a PS3 and it hasn't been used in months. i bought that for GT5 and blurays but back when i bought it GT5 was still in the whole prologue BS and then i didn't feel like paying almost $30 to watch a movie maybe once. recently this year i put together a htpc using an old C2D based dell optiplex.. the PS3 sounds like a vacuum cleaner compared to the near silence of the dell.

maybe once the new xbox comes out i'll buy a 360 and get the forza collection since the price on the 360 should drop more. don't really see me buying a PS4..

I have the game consoles at home but seldom use them. I prefer to go the hell outside.

Translation: Masturbate in public

what's wrong with that..lol

i don't play consoles like i use to when i was younger.. still prefer PC gaming to console..

• Founders

Pffft, casual.

I think despite my love for technology that really defines my interest in the new consoles, I'm a casual gamer. Why I prefer console gaming because I'm hunched around a PC all day for work, sprawling out on the coach and relaxing with a controller is much better, and not being ontop of the screen :lol:

If I was serious I'd move to PC in a heartbeat.