Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

2001 gtp special edition

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Nice Car!!

You said that trans has the GT 3.29? Does that mean it was converted to a non-HD diff? Or do you mean it had the chain changed to 35/35 to make a 3.29 FDR?

Also, what heat range are the plugs you put in? IMHO those E3's are a waste of money. A spark plug cannot make more power, no matter what goofy design it has. You want the heat range to be comparable to the Autolite 104.

What exhaust mods have you done? Before stepping down the pulley, get headers or at least a down-pipe and get rid of that damn u-bend, and get a high-flow cat.

Your custom tune should come AFTER all of this, otherwise you're not making the most of your mods.

I hope this helps. Not trying to shoot you down, but just throwing stuff at a car is going to lead to an empty wallet and a car that isn't what you want.

Nice Car!!

You said that trans has the GT 3.29? Does that mean it was converted to a non-HD diff? Or do you mean it had the chain changed to 35/35 to make a 3.29 FDR?

Also, what heat range are the plugs you put in? IMHO those E3's are a waste of money. A spark plug cannot make more power, no matter what goofy design it has. You want the heat range to be comparable to the Autolite 104.

What exhaust mods have you done? Before stepping down the pulley, get headers or at least a down-pipe and get rid of that damn u-bend, and get a high-flow cat.

Your custom tune should come AFTER all of this, otherwise you're not making the most of your mods.

I hope this helps. Not trying to shoot you down, but just throwing stuff at a car is going to lead to an empty wallet and a car that isn't what you want.

it has gt gears . also i wanted a plug that would last for a while so i went with e3's, im planning speed daddy or zzp headers in the near future. im still researching good cats because i have to do a sniffer test every year. and it needs a tune because of the shorter gearing in the new trans or it wont work properly it will keep shifting up and down and the speedometer will be off by alot .

Was the trans originally in a GT? Because the GTP's had 3.29 gears that were underdriven to reach a 2.93 ratio. If it truly has GT gears, it will have the weaker differential, yet the 1:1 drive chain, and you'll need a new axle on that side. I'd have the trans shop inspect/swap your differential and gears, if that is indeed the case.

Your tune makes sense, lol. I did forget about that. Just trying to help you make sure your mods make sense.

Was the trans originally in a GT? Because the GTP's had 3.29 gears that were underdriven to reach a 2.93 ratio. If it truly has GT gears, it will have the weaker differential, yet the 1:1 drive chain, and you'll need a new axle on that side. I'd have the trans shop inspect/swap your differential and gears, if that is indeed the case.

Your tune makes sense, lol. I did forget about that. Just trying to help you make sure your mods make sense.

it was a gtp tranny but they swapped the 2.93 to the 3.29 this was a custom built tranny it has the hd diff and some other goodies lol also i made a typo above it is a single chain. the people that are installing it built it and thats where im getting the information. it also has a 245mm Torque Converter from zzp.

The black headlights look great but I would tint the tails. Black tails + black car = sexy! look at Chaos and jims cars :willy_nilly:

The black headlights look great but I would tint the tails. Black tails + black car = sexy! look at Chaos and jims cars :lol:

i want to but iv been hearing cops around here are dicks when u have tinted lights. i might just get some vinyl tint to see how it looks. i cant wait until the new trans gets put in. :willy_nilly:

• Founders

i want to but iv been hearing cops around here are dicks when u have tinted lights. i might just get some vinyl tint to see how it looks. i cant wait until the new trans gets put in. :willy_nilly:

Look up your state law on how far tail lights have to be visible and then make sure your tail lights are visible at that length then if a cop pulls you over for your tails. Tell him that your tails are legal and if he doesn't believe you that you'll show him lol.

I've never got pulled over for mine **knock on wood** but in FL your tails have to be visible up to 500ft and mine are so that's probably why.

Look up your state law on how far tail lights have to be visible and then make sure your tail lights are visible at that length then if a cop pulls you over for your tails. Tell him that your tails are legal and if he doesn't believe you that you'll show him lol.

I've never got pulled over for mine **knock on wood** but in FL your tails have to be visible up to 500ft and mine are so that's probably why.

it illegal to tint them here period. so if i do tint them it will be vinyl and not to dark. but i think it would look good. maybe some black rims in my future too lol

you could tint them light like I did mine so the po po wouldent bother me.

Gotcha, yeah. They just swapped the chain and gears then

Good luck with everything, I'm keeping my eye on this thread. Let me know if you need anything. :woot:

thanks i will update more when the new trans gets installed the installer moved the date to Wednesday.

nice pics and not to harp but yea tint them tails Im not a fan of the chrome section.