Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Looking for a new car

Hello everyone, my wife is looking for a new car and i was wondering if anyone had any personal info on the Pontiac torrent and the newer Montana i would greatly appreciate it.

Common Problems, engine sizes. # of seats, accesories, etc.

thanks

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

I am partial towards the Torrent, definitely the only common SUV I would want :lol2:

Engines:

3.4 L (204 CID)[1] LNJ V6

3.6 L (217 CID)[1] LY7 V6

The LY7 is in the GXP only I believe, the LNJ is in the base. Each engine isn't bad, I know more about the LY7 than the LNJ because the LY7 is in the G6. Nothing is coming to my mind thus far with major issues with the LY7 though... It is a variant of the LZ9 which has some head gasket issues but I think they fixed it up a bit lol.

Transmission:

Aisin AF33 5-speed automatic

I'd look to find a GXP but if not the base isn't bad either. If you want to post cars as you find them we can give you some help on that as well ;)

I am partial towards the Torrent, definitely the only common SUV I would want :lol2:

Engines:

3.4 L (204 CID)[1] LNJ V6

3.6 L (217 CID)[1] LY7 V6

The LY7 is in the GXP only I believe, the LNJ is in the base. Each engine isn't bad, I know more about the LY7 than the LNJ because the LY7 is in the G6. Nothing is coming to my mind thus far with major issues with the LY7 though... It is a variant of the LZ9 which has some head gasket issues but I think they fixed it up a bit lol.

Transmission:

Aisin AF33 5-speed automatic

I'd look to find a GXP but if not the base isn't bad either. If you want to post cars as you find them we can give you some help on that as well ;)

Is it possible to put a third row in the GXP my wife wants something a little bigger than what she has. or any other suggestions

• Founders

Is it possible to put a third row in the GXP my wife wants something a little bigger than what she has. or any other suggestions

Just judging by the looks, I don't think its possible. The boot looks too small.

ok well any other suggestions will be useful, she has a 99 Chrysler LHS 3.5 High output V6 and i have put more time under it than riding in it. she wants something a little bigger, reliable, high safety ratings cuz we got two boys, same gas mileage is fine she doesnt drive very far just in town every so often.

something preferrablie in the GM family cuz i dont know S**t about foregin cars LOL.

If you want one of the newer GM minivans, Cody has an SV6 and loves it. It has a similar powerplant to that of your GA (LX9: 3.5L OHV V6) in the basis of you'll still be with 60*V6 power. You'll get the third row seating the wifey wants too.

If your budget is tight, the older U-body GM minivans can be had on the cheap. Some of the Pontiac Montanas came with AWD. I've seen decent mileage U-body vans go for the prices range of $2500-$5500 easily.

Ahhh...the Chrysler LH cars. I had a 95 Intrepid before my GAGT, so I'm familiar with those cars as well, and I'm actually still active on DodgeIntrepid.net.

yeah because of her LHS i am completely turned away from dodge, they broke my heart, its a great car but just a B***h to work on. my GA is so freakin easy i look under the lhs hood and crap my pants every time. she is working great now ater i replaced the outward accelerator sensor.

yeah she is wanting a buick rendezvous with third row seating.

That's because you dealt with the 3.5L SOHC motor. I had the smaller 3.3L OHV V6 in my 'Trep. TONS of room to work with. Never took me more than 35 minutes doing work. :lol2:

The Buick Rendezvous is a great little CUV, a sister model to the Pontiac Aztek, and has the reliable LA1 in the first few model years. The LX9 saw use in there after 05 in base models, and I've even seen a few LY7 powered models.

so you would recommend the buick or the montana more?

I like both but the price diff is killer!

also on my 98 GA i think i will just replace the lower intake gasket on the 3.1 might be cheaper.

The U-body vans are awesome cross country cruisers, as are the Buick and Pontiac CUVs. But like I said, the U-body minivans are cheaper, and they share components with the W-body platform, so if you feel like upgrades, there are possibilities.

I hope you either plan on doing the LIM repair yourself, or you're good friends with a mechanic...the average LIM job costs upwards of +$750, depending on the shop's hourly fees.

Alright so you're talking to the guy here who loves his sv-6. I'm a 19 year old guy and I bought it when I was 17, well, started buying it. Got it for $5400+ tax, title, licensing. In the end I've paid $6300 and I'm paying the loan off 2.5 years early (sometime from April-July) which feels pretty good. I have put a quite a few miles on the van and I've had no... well, NEARLY no problems with the van. I bought it with 111,8xx miles on it. Currently, the van has 142,8xx on it and still runs amazing. I pull a code every once in a while because my gas cap seal is dried up and doesn't like to seal perfectly. I threw an ABS code when I first bought it, turned out it wasn't the speed sensor we all figured, there was a wire that got chewed through by a mouse and just needed a little solder and electrical tape and it was taken care of.

The trans -- Including the fact that I beat the torque out of this thing, the trans holds up amazing. I have a small trans seal leak right now, which didn't occur until I roasted 85+ from Nashville, TN straight through to Maplewood, MN... practically non-stop.

The LX9 - AMAZING. I was the man who swore to the 3.8 Series, said I'd never buy anything else. Test drove the van and the 3.8 was history. 3.5L LX9 is an extremely reliable and economic engine that delivers power when you say GO! In town, with someone who doesn't have a heavy foot such as myself, the sv-6 would pull 18-19 MPG's. I myself, I run 5w30 full synthetic oil and burn 87 octane, run a heavy foot and pull 16.5 AVG mpg's city, and on my trip to Florida with the van, I averaged 31. I had a code run a month ago, Purge Solenoid. $32 part, took me 15 minutes to replace. Only problem I've had in 2 years 32k+ miles.

Interior - The interior lighting is.... well... not to say the least, attractive. Turns my crank, I love how it fades on/off rather than just immediate on and off. Comfort, I'd give it an 8/10, only because I've been in enough Cadillac's to be picky. Guage cluster is sporty, with it's silver background and red lighting with chrome surroundings at the gauges, there's no need to ask for anything more. You also get the driver's info center standard, a classy feature in my eyes. The radio is great. Loud, clear, and carries great features like Auto Volume Adjust when you speed up, Traffic News Search, and you get 18 programmable stations between FM1 FM2 and AM. You get the Info read-out showing what you're listening to and who's singing it, even with CD's that have the song info encrypted. You get a system that runs 4 6 1/2" circle speakers built as subwoofers with seperate tweeters. Sound quality is great. You get a DVD/TV combo built into the roof of the van. Mid section captains chairs with a fold down 50/50 bench seat is great for family and traveling. ALL SEATS besides the front 2 are VERY easily removable and makes a lot of room for hauling.

Exterior - Sporty. You fall in love with it the minute you see it (if it's for you.) Coming from the factory with 17" 5 Spoke wheels, the wheels prove themselves aggressive with their size and shine. I'm a personal fan of the lower portion of trim, it's well, virtually undamagable unless you take a crow bar to it. With a low set body and a ground clearance around 5-6 inches, the sv-6 has proven it's sport-van status. Stand about 50 feet away, put your hand out to block the rear half of the van and close one eye, you see SUV/truck. Do the same with covering the front, and you see a family vehicle.

Overall I throw 4.75 outta 5 stars at this baby. Get to ride in class, feel sporty, sit higher than most vehicles on the road that aren't full-out pick'em-up trucks, and still be comfortable. My only .25 problem is that G.D. power sliding door. I love it, but I hate it. It moves slow and if even the smallest thing slips in the way it stops moving, goes back the other way. It's luxurious but it's one of those things that you'd think that Pontiac should've improved on. Other than that this thing is a king roller, great vehicle.

My God, I just realized I've been babbling for like... 45 minutes :lol2:. Well anyhow I think this is what I'd call a review. Something I wish I could do for a living. Those guys who write the articles in Car&Driver, Road&Track... what I wouldn't do to host a show like Top Gear. Hopefully I've influenced a decision because I'd REALLY like to see another sv-6 on here, they're amazing. Good luck and HAPPY BUYING :D

well thank you cody for your personal review, we are actually going to test drive one today. My wife was looking for them all night on her laptop. (couldn't sleep to excited). I will let you know how it goes.

and chaos thank you for the price quote. you have been a lot of help for my ga.

well we test drove it and absolutly loved it. ran like a champ but the bank said no (to many miles blah blah blah) she was upset but we will def keep looking.

the van was a 06 with the 3.5 v6. the color was like a goldish biegeish color and the interior was tan. Had a DVD player with wireless headphones for the kids (sweet much like). It had a little under 120k miles on it.

I popped the hood and wow there is a lot of room for working on it if it came to that. Front Bucket, second row Buckets, and third bench. 50/50 fold down rear seats.

i hope we can find a perfect one (for the bank).

Thanks for all the help guys. My wife thanks you too.

• Founders

well we test drove it and absolutly loved it. ran like a champ but the bank said no (to many miles blah blah blah) she was upset but we will def keep looking.

the van was a 06 with the 3.5 v6. the color was like a goldish biegeish color and the interior was tan. Had a DVD player with wireless headphones for the kids (sweet much like). It had a little under 120k miles on it.

I popped the hood and wow there is a lot of room for working on it if it came to that. Front Bucket, second row Buckets, and third bench. 50/50 fold down rear seats.

i hope we can find a perfect one (for the bank).

Thanks for all the help guys. My wife thanks you too.

The LX9 (I think that's the one in there lol) is a great motor, its done very well for me in my 6 so far. Too bad the bank didn't want to give you the loan for it, sounds like you loved it! You'll find another! :lol2:

Really glad to hear you guys liked the ride!! They're extremely enjoyable for anyone who owns one. I hope you find one with low enough mileage. If not that fortunate, check into the Saturn Relay, those run the 3900 which is also extremely powerful, and runs AWD. Basically the same vehicle with a Saturn emblem. Wish you luck!!

well we are gonna hold off for a while, we will keep lookin but not get to excited (lol). pay off some things and she said i can work on my car. so thank you all for your help it is really appreciated.

If youre still interested in the Torrent I love mine. I have a 08 GXP w/ AWD. The ride is amazing and have had no issues with it. It handles great and rides smooth. Ive only put 18k on it so far but if youre interested in buying it let me know. Was thinking around $21k.