Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Adding Transmission Fluid to 1967 Firebird

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I have a 1967 Firebird, 326 engine. Recently, the automatic transmission has been slow to engage the gear....from Park to drive, or neutral to drive. Do I need to add transmission fluid? If so, do I do that through the dipstick channel?

Thanks!

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Yes, as both JustA & B52 said. So to expound on that, get the engine to operating temp. Check the fluid level while the engine is running. If it’s low, I.E. (as in the add range or lower)add the correct fluid, ( Dexron ). If it’s low but just in the add range or higher than it’s starting to slip. If it’s a 350 , which I doubt being a “67”, but if it is I would recommend changing the fluid over to Ford’s type f ATF. To do that you will need enough to do two complete flushes, about 4 gals. Fords type f ATF is compatible with old GM turbo 350 & their seals. Type f will help with a slipping tranny if it’s not to far gone & it will make a good tranny bite harder.

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the responses. The users manual is not very helpful. It doesn't get into much detail. The automatic transmission is a console "Turbo Hydra-Matic." Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Super, and Low. As far as refilling, it says to refill transmission after draining with 7 pints. Doesn't mention type of fluid, or how to refill. When you suggest to check fluid level when engine running, do you mean oil level using the dipstick? I don't know of any other method of checking fluids. Pls advise. And to be clear, you add transmission fluid through the dipstick channel. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 2:24 PM, TotallyHoadley said:

Thanks for all the responses. The users manual is not very helpful. It doesn't get into much detail. The automatic transmission is a console "Turbo Hydra-Matic." Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Super, and Low. As far as refilling, it says to refill transmission after draining with 7 pints. Doesn't mention type of fluid, or how to refill. When you suggest to check fluid level when engine running, do you mean oil level using the dipstick? I don't know of any other method of checking fluids. Pls advise. And to be clear, you add transmission fluid through the dipstick channel. Thanks!

Steven, for the type of transmission you have to check & fill via the fill/dipstick tube. There is no other way to do so. To check the fluid level the engine needs to be running & the engine at operating temperature. If you check it with the engine off the level will read higher because the fluid that is circulating drains back into the pan, making the level higher, which is where the dipstick is measuring the  level

You also need to tell us what color the fluid is! Take the dipstick out wipe it on a white paper towel & observe the color. Is it pink or red, or does it have a brown appearance. This will help us tell whether the fluid is burnt or not. The 7pints that the manual refers to being drained out is just a small part of the entire fluid volume of the transmission! The entire volume of the transmission is closer to 2 gallons, which includes the torque converter.

Your transmission would have originally taken Dexron ATF, but before deciding what fluid you need to put in let see how the fluid level & color of the fluid progress, as those may have an impact on what needs done next.

So updated us on where the fluid level is when you check it & if you can take a picture of the oil on the paper towel for us to see it’s color. Then we can go from there.

• Like 1

Here's an image from the dipstick. I thought the dipstick only measured oil levels. Transmission fluid is also measured here? 

9E31B95A-C12E-4A68-BF9E-CB270422C75B_1_105_c.jpeg

That APPEARS to be engine oil, not transmission fluid.  Because if it really is transmission fluid, that fluid is burnt to a crisp and your transmission won't be long before it needs a rebuild.  Trans fluid is a pink-ish red, getting redder and dark as it ages. But always some red and NEVER that dark.

Generally, the trans dipstick is closer to the back of the motor.

Rick

Edited by B52bombardier1
  • Like 2

What Rick said! That is the engine oil dipstick. I can even see the soot in the oil on the stick, (those little black spec). The transmission dip stick is in about a 3/4 diameter tube close to the firewall. That dipstick will have a S shape configuration towards the bottom of it when you pull it out. The S shape is what helps hold it in the tube because of the disparity in size between the dipstick & the tube size.

• Like 1

How long have you had the car? A filter change and refill could be in the cards. Hard to tell in pic but the trans fluid should be very red. Slow engagement could be low fluid as well. 

• Like 2