Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

68 Firebird brake booster question

Our all drum 67 has very strong brake boost. We would like to lessen the assist as it is very very sensative, Β one toe braking.
How much difference regarding the boost would change on switching to a smaller booster?
Our booster is getting a good 20 inches vac from our bone stock 326.

20230317_123715.jpg

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Thank you Fitzy. You bring up a point that is very interesting. I actually don't know anything about this booster as it came on the car from a seller out of state.

I nowΒ  have a new question after researching this for a while.
I see listed for a 1967 Pontiac Firebird (4) different brake boosters with seemingly no differentiation I can find (which really makes me wonder if my booster is correct for my application).

One is 11" single diaphragm, one 11" dual diaphragm, one is 9" single diaphragm, and one 9" dual diaphragm - all being listed for 67 firebird .

Edited by Hotrodjohn71
Spelling
  • Like 2

John, i have a question for you ...

when you brake hard are the front brakes locking up? even to the point the steering wheel gets riped out of your hands while turningΒ  ?

Last indian is correct, your car should be 9inch booster, and it certainly looks to be a 10.630

Reason i say that is that master cylinder does not look correct for your car !

Β 

Β 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kiwi, if I do a panic stop, the fronts will lock up, but I think all the wheels lock up as well.

Our m/c is a 1" bore which is correct for power (all drum).

Manual (all drum)Β  are 7/8" on the 1967 Firebird.

For the power drum/disc cars, it's a 1 1/8" bore m/c.

Edited by Hotrodjohn71
Size, punctuation
  • Like 1

Hi Kiwi, all the brake drum assemblies are clean, dry new and adjusted correctly.Β  All wheels are adjusted so they will spin about half way around.

On this 67 Firebird with power drums, they did not actually have a proportioning valve. They do have a distribution block which is just a 4 way junction block with a switch to the BRAKE warning light which only serves to show a differential between the front brake circuit and rear.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hotrodjohn71 said:

Hi Kiwi, all the brake drum assemblies are clean, dry new and adjusted correctly.Β  All wheels are adjusted so they will spin about half way around.

On this 67 Firebird with power drums, they did not actually have a proportioning valve. They do have a distribution block which is just a 4 way junction block with a switch to the BRAKE warning light which only serves to show a differential between the front brake circuit and rear.

thats another box ticked John, we are running out of ideas..... i have had a Plymouth with what i call sticky front brake drums even after replacing the shoes it still was sticky to the point a wheel would lock up, and i had to replace the drum itself.

question for you, have the front drums been reserfaced ? and if so how close to maximuim are they ? if they are close to max diametre thay can move around and cause stick braking.

Other than that i think for the cost of a new master cylinder, i would try a new drum drum unit.Β 

And justA for interest, try disconnection of your vacuum line to the booster and see how they behave !

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One last thought. I know you say your is standard at 1” for 4 wheel drum power, but that’s not what I remember. I believe they were a 7/8 piston period. The upgrade was a booster on a 7/8 master cylinder. 1” piston was for disc front drum rear & 1 1/8 for 4 wheel disc, which was only available for the Camaro Z/28 j8 option.

• Like 2

I will have to do a bit more research,Β  but according to this manual, for 67, the cars without DB had 1" bore master cylinder.Β 

Β 

I did an experiment the other day and unhooked and plugged the vacuum line to the booster and it was a great pedal, high and firm. But just lacking assist. Hard to push.

20230119_090127.jpg

• Like 2

yeah i think your master cylinder size is correct.. i justA went and looked at the bore size on my master cylinder for the 64 which is 4 wheel drum and boosted ..

it is 1 inch ....

Β interesting how you said it braked good withΒ  no assit .... kind of points towards too much vacuum !Β  which is going back to What last indian said about booster size, gees its justA diaphram... theres nothing to them !Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice. I have an 8" delco style booster on the way. I will also recheck if the drums were new or turned. I am pretty sure they are new. But I will find out.

• Like 2