Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Mizzi's 1959 Star Chief Vista

2021 June
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

When engine is hot i have a hard time starting

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

hi terry, welcome to fp:welcomeFP:

your going to have to give us some more detail on your motor, and it will help us sort whats going on.

i see you are talking about your 79 ta....is it stock with stock carb ? 

frosty or justA6 will know what stock carb you have and most likely its a fuel/ tuning issue..

oh and pictures help too :P

• Like 1

What is the normal operating temp when fully hot?  Until I got my operating temp down to 160,  170 in 90 degree outdoor temps. Had the same "gas station" starting problems you are.  With the factory shroud, I'm assuming your still using a fan.  Stock clutch or flex fan? 

• Like 1

And terry , when it does it , check to see. If you cables to the starter are getting hot around the crimped ends 

some times you can blame a starter when it’s really the positive AND negative cables to blame ! 

Certainly check your timing too !! :cheers:

54 minutes ago, Terry Moatz said:

Sorry it took so long to respond (crazy work hours), the engine was completely rebuilt with a milder cam and bored .030 over with forged pistons and a 750 duel feed holley and hooker headers. But the starter was a stock replacement and i did put a heat blanket around the starter because of the added heat but it runs great otherwise, only when I’m driving it for awhile and I stop for gas or something that it really drags to start and i have a short piece of rubber gas line connecting the duel feed line to a hard line down the front of the engine. I’m guessing that the added compression is a little too much for a stock starter 

419FEACC-502F-40D0-BBB0-2ED33186A2D5.jpeg

B69AA1C3-0AA2-4DD9-BFA2-F26F1C46418A.jpeg

A58FAF96-08ED-4843-8461-6B93497745F7.jpeg

Really nice blue by the way 👍

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Terry Moatz said:

I never checked the cables and the temperature is actually in the 180 range when it’s hot, and yea I’m using the stock fan and shroud. The throttle response and power is actually better when it’s hot, i love the color too “ intense blue pearl “ , thanks for the ideas and I’ll check the timing also

Beautiful Pontiac,:pontiac: thankz for the pic.  Hope ya figure it out.  Sounds like you've covered most of the bases already.

• Like 1

Thanks , I’ll keep you posted 

• Like 1

Awesome ride and welcome bro!