Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

81 Turbo Trans Am: Daytona Pace Car

Picked this car up over the weekend. It’s been sitting in a barn for at least 15 years. Had an engine fire 20 years ago so everything forward of the firewall is gone. Rust free car and the interior is in good shape. The engine is numbers matching and was rebuilt so I’m told. I thought this was just a turbo trans am but after finding the build sheet I learned it’s a Daytona pace car,Y85 code. Does anyone have one of these cars that could take some detailed photos of the engine compartment so I can see what goes where and figure out what’s missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my first F body car. 
James

CD3A7590-CC32-406A-9917-61AE20A9B3BD.jpeg

74284D1D-3149-4269-BABF-C3EB436E0795.jpeg

05F32FCA-FB3B-4A7F-9949-8160C4E054DC.jpeg

C5322A44-7C5C-4BB9-9DD2-73B8E78A606D.jpeg

0F7EB62F-6DD9-419E-B21B-E5EBCE96CA26.jpeg

0500DA11-3106-4B34-A0F3-776432551F77.jpeg

3D1E4F61-215D-4505-939D-A4F690AEACC9.jpeg

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Try this site 301garage. This site is all about the 301 engine... turbo and non turbo. Lots of good knowledge here.  jjr the owner of the site knows these engines up, down, and all around.

http://www.301garage.com/forum/index.php

Edited by blue81ta

I hope those Recaro seats are in great shape in spite of what the car has been through. Nobody re-pops anything for these seats, not even Recaro.  I have Recaros in my '86 Trans Am and I love them. I was fortunate to find out that the cloth material for my seats was still available (at the time I had to repair my torn driver's seat) but I had to take it to an automotive upholstery shop to repair it.

Here is a company that specializes in beefing up the performance of the Pontiac turbo 301 for your future consideration - assuming you want to up the performance in the process

https://ttaperformance.com/

First thing I would suggest you do is to get either a paper copy or an electronic copy of the Pontiac Shop Manual for your car. It will give you every detail, assembly / explosion diagram you ever care to have. It is well worth the money. You can find shop manuals at large swap meets, or online like eBay and other online stores. IF you need help finding one, let me know.

Next thing to know is the Pontiac 265 & 301 is somewhat of the red headed stepchild of the Pontiac engine family. Pontiac designed it as an economy V8 after the Arab Oil Embargo. So it's deck height is one inch shorter than the 326-455 V8s, the crank is lighter and has two less counter weights.  The blocks's main webbing is not as thick so it will not hold up to the same HP/torque levels as the other motors will. Therefore there has been very little aftermarket support for the 265/301. Hence the reason I gave you TTA Performance's website address. They are only ones that I know that have tried to improve the performance of the 301 within the limits of the stock block.

Often times, guys will pull out the 301 and stick in a 400 or 455 in the engine compartment and call it good (for much better performance and available parts). Since you have a pace car edition and assuming you have the original numbers matching motor, a complete restoration might be worth something in the end.

Phoenix Graphics reproduces the special NASCAR, Daytona 500, or Indy 500 pace car graphics as well as the stock OEM graphics for this car that you need once the car is repainted.

https://www.phoenixgraphix.com/gm.php

Don't be afraid to order parts catalogs from YearOne, National Parts Depot, Classic Industries, and Ames Performance for your car. Be prepared to price shop. Also, eBay, Craigslist, and local car shows and swaps meets can be your friends, but you have to know what you are looking for.

Only other thing I will suggest is the National Parts Depot has a warehouse in Canton Michigan (SW Detroit Metro area). So if you want to avoid shipping charges, get the parts faster, AND the parts are stocked in Canton, it might be worth a parts run or two to Canton from time to time.

• Like 1

The recaros are in great shape. Thank you for all the info! I ordered a catalog from classics industries and I’ll have to check out National Parts Depot. We go to Canton a few times a year to visit friends.

Always happy to help a brother out.  Since your in Michigan perhaps we’ll be lucky to have our Tri-Power Pontiac-Buick-GMC car shows this year. The Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk Ohio, and Chevrolet/GM Nationals in Carlisle PA are good places to look for parts too. The Trans Am Nationals in Dayton is also a good show for parts. 

• Like 1

I'm with you 100%.

The Michigan Widetrackers are planning for their annual Dustoff in June, the first of the Tri-Power shows. I just volunteered to be the show photographer again. So planning is underway at least for these shows.

Took the dash trim, gauge cluster and climate control our tonight to get a better look behind the dash. Whatever wiring was close to the firewall is melted. The gauge cluster, light switch, wiper switch, climate control head and radio all seem fine. Luckily none of it went up into flames or the car would have been gone. So now I need to find an interior harness. Also have to take the gauge cluster apart to clean things up and clean the soot from the face. Also have to try to figure out how to clean the trim. 

170ABA84-9220-4735-B944-ED8286189EAA.jpeg

36D68412-63F8-40F0-BD7F-035E0202AAD6.jpeg

A1217258-E407-41CF-BFAD-A873C7F54A3D.jpeg

756FE41F-DCBD-4D5B-A84E-4E3FFE306D28.jpeg

Edited by Rear Engine Shop
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rear Engine Shop said:

Put together another YouTube video. Show the melted wiring and go through the parts that came with it. Still haven’t found the keys...

James. my advise....

step back and make a plan... hell, get a white board and write everything you need to do to the TA on it, nail it on the wall and best part about a white board is you wipe off each job as you finish it and you will find yourself adding new items.

we are here to help you with anything that your feel is over whelming you... these cars arnt that bad to work on,,, there lots of literature on line with lots of deatil on where those small parts go :cheers:

And Hay if you get stuck.... ask here !!:cheers:.

best part about a white board.... as you wipe completed jobs off ... you pat your self on the back and have a beer. and contemplate the next task.... wayyy fun 👍.

And hay take your time .... enjoy... its a hobby and at the end you have a car thats worth a lot of money, and your pride from rebuilding it  :).

i personally admire anyone who can save a Pontiac from the scrap heap ! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

What engine was in it? 

A turbo 301 would have been the original engine.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

A turbo 301 would have been the original engine.

301 was the norm but I'm thinkin that was not the only option.  It's wide open as to what goes in there now.  

For 1981, the natural aspirated 301 or the Chevy 305 (for California) were the standard Trans Am motors, and the 301 turbo was the optional motor. Since Rear Engine Shop said this was a Daytona Pace car edition, then this would have been a 301 turbo car. 1979 was the last year for the 400.

To your point, he can bolt in whatever he chooses for more power, but again this car is considered a turbo pace car edition by badging as well as the distinctive turbo hood. So this makes it a tad more desirable over the the stock Trans am and the turbo Trans Am of the day.

image.png.731b4c7725c240117ec909802bce811d.png

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 3:38 PM, Rear Engine Shop said:

Had the turbo 301, is getting the turbo 301.

I glad you're keeping the 301 turbo. This is a special edition car with only 2000 cars produced, I myself think it should be restored to factory specs. Just sayin.....

Edited by blue81ta
  • Like 1